“Coach tour experience”
Review of Westminster Hotel

Westminster Hotel
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Rhyl
Reviewed April 13, 2013

Arrived at this hotel on Easter Monday. Heart sank as it looked rather shabby as did most of Rhyl. Our room was on the 1st floor and overlooked the car park,it was spacious and clean, the W.C. and basin area were cramped there was also a separate shower room. There was always plenty of hot water.Breakfasts were good especially the porridge!Evening meals were very basic I suspect that the coach operator only pay a fraction of the normal rates but this doesn't excuse awful sliced bread and salads swimming in water. Entertainment was provided two evenings which we enjoyed and we didn't find the bar expensive.Staff on the whole were pleasant ,I think the owners will have an uphill struggle in this economic climate to please discerning customers.

Room Tip: Would advise upgrading to a sea view room.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed April 6, 2013

we stayed here as a couple for one night on the friday 5th april the hotel was clean tidy and comfortable the drinks prices were like a normal pub price not extortionate as some people say we were on the 3rd floor with a great view overlooking the sea there are plenty of good shops and eaterys close by we also did a trip to llandudno 45 mins away not our cup of t but worth a visit just to say you have been the hills and mountains looked lovely covered in snow we would definately like to go back in the summer and wouldnt hesitate to book this hotel again so warm and friendly

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank snork1e
Reviewed April 2, 2013 via mobile

5 night stay while working. The Pro's - Really friendly staff, almost comfortable bed and free WiFi. The Con's - prices in bar (extortionate) water pressure = trickle showers, creaking floors, thin walls (could join in with nextdoors conversation). But my biggest gripe.... BREAKFAST! Stayed while there was a coach trip there also, cotton tablecloths, juice, fruit and porridge on offer. We who weren't coach trip, shoved round a corner, asked for juice OMG the look of horror on waitress face. Asked if I couuld have some scrambled egg and a sausage sand wich to go, got a yes to scam egg, the sandwich would be extra!!! Basically go there to be amused and laugh at the ludicrous way it's managed and run.

• Stayed: March 2013
2  Thank Dave T
Reviewed March 29, 2013

Had a 5 day break in the Westminster hotel last week.
The hotel was very pleasant, the food was excellent but the drinks prices were extortionate!! This was reflected in the fact that although the hotel was full, the lounge/bar area was almost empty or half full every night even though there was entertainment on. I think most of the guests either took their own drinks to their rooms or went elsewhere.
The entertainment was on over 3 nights and although the artistes worked hard, why oh why were we subjected to 60's and rock and roll.....every night?
The rooms were lovely and the bathroom was sparkling clean and it was lovely and warm.
The breakfasts and the evening meals couldn't be faulted and the staff were all exceptional and worked really hard.
Such a shame about the bar prices as am sure most people would have stayed in the lounge every night if they had been more reasonable!

Room Tip: We had a room on the very top floor and it was lovely
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 27, 2013

I stayed for two nights.
When I checked in, the man on reception was very helpful, even letting me check out the room (on the very top floor) to make sure I could manage the stairs and that it didn't smell of smoke.
The room was clean and comfortable, as was the en-suite. However both had a skylight which was filthy, including the recess. Very unpleasant lying in bed looking up at that. The skylight above the bed had a broken blind, which meant that, when it got light outside in the morning, the sunlight went straight in my eyes.
I was too late for breakfast on the first morning, but the waitress said it would be fine for my to take a half glass of orange juice (which was all I wanted) from the jug on the tray. I thanked her.
Later that day, I went to the reception desk to get my room key back. All the staff were in the back room and the one man who could be seen just looked at me. He made no effort to offer his help, just sat on the corner of a table scowling at me. I politely said, "please can I have the key to room ***?" He replied, "we're very busy here", then very slowly got up and walked to the reception area to give me the key. If you put people like that on 'front of house' duties, you're going to lose custom very quickly.
On the second morning, I was in time for breakfast but, again, all I wanted was a bit of orange juice. I went to the tray to pour this for myself, as I had done the day before. The same waitress called out to me, "I'll take your order at the table". I replied, "it's OK, I can see you're busy, I only want to take a glass of orange juice". She then came over and tried to stop me from pouring the juice by waggling her hands in front of my eyes! I moved away a bit and continued to try and pour the drink. She then (gently) shoulder barged me, repeating that I should sit down and wait for her to take my order.
I walked straight out to the car and drove away and will NEVER return.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Crapmodem
Reviewed March 24, 2013

The staff pretend to be friendly but its all a fake, it doesnt come naturally. They are not friendly at all. Went with my family (myself, hubby and my daughter) and I payed an extra 10 pounds for a cot per night for my daughter. We arrived in the hotel and there was no cot for my daughter.

It was a twin bedroom with one standard double bed and a single bed, so I had to sleep with daughter on the double bed whilst hubby slept in the single. When I questioned this the staff said to me I should have made a request when I made the booking which I did and there was no cot
. To make matters worse my daughter had a bit of an accident in the morning - we went out for a day and came back only to find out they didnt change the sheet, it was the same one we slept on the previous night with the dirty on. So I went to see someone to that I could get a clean sheet. The staff I spoke to did not even apologise to what had happened, didnt even show anyremorse at all. To make things worse I the Customer had to make the bed. Really I have never ever come across this in my entire life. What a crap hotel, I shall never ever visit this misserable hotel again.

There was an old man there who was at the reception when we left, I am not sure if he could be the owner of the hotel or the manager but he did not have any customer service skills at all. He looked miserable all the time and not helpfull at all, you would think he was forced to be in work. Oooh what a misserable hotel, never again!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Francisca B
Reviewed March 24, 2013

We stayed here when visiting Rhyl for a weekend. We were given room 28. Initially as we walked in we were delighted to see a four poster bed. Very nice, until you realise that once lying in bed the TV is unwatchable because of the lace curtains and four poster framework. It would have been far better if the TV was on top of the drawers at the foot of the bed, at least you'd be able to see it.

The room was also unbearable hot, even though the radiators were off. Couldn't figure out where the heat was coming from.

Neither of the two windows would open so we couldn't even cool off, and finally, it's a huge room but it has a three quarter bed in it. Confusing.

Didn't sample breakfast as this was extra to the £60 a night price tag, London prices and attitude in a Northwest setting.

• Stayed: March 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rhyl
Pier Hotel Rhyl
#1 of 2 in St. Asaph
Springfield Hotel & Health Club
Springfield Hotel & Health Club
#1 of 1 in Pentre Halkyn

Been to Westminster Hotel? Share your experiences!