“Drinks prices extortionate!”

Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Rhyl
durham
“Drinks prices extortionate!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2013

Had a 5 day break in the Westminster hotel last week.
The hotel was very pleasant, the food was excellent but the drinks prices were extortionate!! This was reflected in the fact that although the hotel was full, the lounge/bar area was almost empty or half full every night even though there was entertainment on. I think most of the guests either took their own drinks to their rooms or went elsewhere.
The entertainment was on over 3 nights and although the artistes worked hard, why oh why were we subjected to 60's and rock and roll.....every night?
The rooms were lovely and the bathroom was sparkling clean and it was lovely and warm.
The breakfasts and the evening meals couldn't be faulted and the staff were all exceptional and worked really hard.
Such a shame about the bar prices as am sure most people would have stayed in the lounge every night if they had been more reasonable!

Room Tip: We had a room on the very top floor and it was lovely
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
Herts, England
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2013

I stayed for two nights.
When I checked in, the man on reception was very helpful, even letting me check out the room (on the very top floor) to make sure I could manage the stairs and that it didn't smell of smoke.
The room was clean and comfortable, as was the en-suite. However both had a skylight which was filthy, including the recess. Very unpleasant lying in bed looking up at that. The skylight above the bed had a broken blind, which meant that, when it got light outside in the morning, the sunlight went straight in my eyes.
I was too late for breakfast on the first morning, but the waitress said it would be fine for my to take a half glass of orange juice (which was all I wanted) from the jug on the tray. I thanked her.
Later that day, I went to the reception desk to get my room key back. All the staff were in the back room and the one man who could be seen just looked at me. He made no effort to offer his help, just sat on the corner of a table scowling at me. I politely said, "please can I have the key to room ***?" He replied, "we're very busy here", then very slowly got up and walked to the reception area to give me the key. If you put people like that on 'front of house' duties, you're going to lose custom very quickly.
On the second morning, I was in time for breakfast but, again, all I wanted was a bit of orange juice. I went to the tray to pour this for myself, as I had done the day before. The same waitress called out to me, "I'll take your order at the table". I replied, "it's OK, I can see you're busy, I only want to take a glass of orange juice". She then came over and tried to stop me from pouring the juice by waggling her hands in front of my eyes! I moved away a bit and continued to try and pour the drink. She then (gently) shoulder barged me, repeating that I should sit down and wait for her to take my order.
I walked straight out to the car and drove away and will NEVER return.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Crapmodem

Travelers are raving about these Rhyl hotels

Barry, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2013

The staff pretend to be friendly but its all a fake, it doesnt come naturally. They are not friendly at all. Went with my family (myself, hubby and my daughter) and I payed an extra 10 pounds for a cot per night for my daughter. We arrived in the hotel and there was no cot for my daughter.

It was a twin bedroom with one standard double bed and a single bed, so I had to sleep with daughter on the double bed whilst hubby slept in the single. When I questioned this the staff said to me I should have made a request when I made the booking which I did and there was no cot
. To make matters worse my daughter had a bit of an accident in the morning - we went out for a day and came back only to find out they didnt change the sheet, it was the same one we slept on the previous night with the dirty on. So I went to see someone to that I could get a clean sheet. The staff I spoke to did not even apologise to what had happened, didnt even show anyremorse at all. To make things worse I the Customer had to make the bed. Really I have never ever come across this in my entire life. What a crap hotel, I shall never ever visit this misserable hotel again.

There was an old man there who was at the reception when we left, I am not sure if he could be the owner of the hotel or the manager but he did not have any customer service skills at all. He looked miserable all the time and not helpfull at all, you would think he was forced to be in work. Oooh what a misserable hotel, never again!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Francisca B
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2013

We stayed here when visiting Rhyl for a weekend. We were given room 28. Initially as we walked in we were delighted to see a four poster bed. Very nice, until you realise that once lying in bed the TV is unwatchable because of the lace curtains and four poster framework. It would have been far better if the TV was on top of the drawers at the foot of the bed, at least you'd be able to see it.

The room was also unbearable hot, even though the radiators were off. Couldn't figure out where the heat was coming from.

Neither of the two windows would open so we couldn't even cool off, and finally, it's a huge room but it has a three quarter bed in it. Confusing.

Didn't sample breakfast as this was extra to the £60 a night price tag, London prices and attitude in a Northwest setting.

• Stayed March 2013
Stratford-upon-Avon, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2013

Staff unhelpfull, told on the phone when booking there was no availability for a standard double, so had to upgrade to a sea view room, only to find when we got there that the hotel was virtually empty and there were plenty of standard double rooms. When we questioned the owner/manager about this, she denied we were told this and said quote PROVE IT!!!
Sub standard hotel, with a dog in the next room constantly barking! sub standard room and sub standard breakfast, with an owner with attitude!!!
Never ever again

Room Tip: If you have to book this (hotel) ask for a room that is Not next to a room with a dog!!!
3 Thank 3nicholes
Cannock, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2013

I stayed in this hotel during the week hotel was packed, staff really friendly and helpful!! Fantastic entertainment specially Wednesday!! Even the barman was doing rock n roll over the counter never seen anything like it :-))))!! Shops next door which was great and train and bus station a 5 minute walk!!! Waitress's service couldn't be any better girls can't do enough for you very efficient!! My room was spotless very spacious and had a fantastic sea view which I hadn't even asked for! I can't understand why people run this hotel down they obviously expect the ritz, or they have complained about something minor and not had their own way!!! I can't fault it here and me and my partner will be staying here again in the near future!! Thankyou Westminster for our lovely stay :-) xx

Room Tip: If any upgraded rooms available worth taking!!!
Ilminster
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2013

My wife and I have just returned from a four night stay at this hotel, which is superbly sited right on the sea front at Rhyl. We have never stayed at an hotel with such dedicated, helpful and friendly staff. Our room, which had a sea view was spotlessly clean, and the freshly laundered crisp white bed linen was greatly appreciated after a long coach journey.

The food was of good quality and always hot, the waitress service being very professional yet friendly.

The lift to the three floors was quite small, but this didn't seem to raise too many problems, and proved quite adequate. The evening entertainment was very good, and we felt that the whole 5 day break was really enjoyed by all. We will certainly look forward to staying at the Westminster again in the future!!

Room Tip: Our sea view room on the 3rd floor was excellent, traffic noise was negligible
1 Thank IlminsterDavidP
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rhyl
Pier Hotel Rhyl
#1 of 2 in St. Asaph
Plas Ifan
Plas Ifan
#1 of 3 in Prestatyn

Been to Westminster Hotel? Share your experiences!