“Misserable Hotel”

Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Rhyl
Barry, United Kingdom
“Misserable Hotel”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2013

The staff pretend to be friendly but its all a fake, it doesnt come naturally. They are not friendly at all. Went with my family (myself, hubby and my daughter) and I payed an extra 10 pounds for a cot per night for my daughter. We arrived in the hotel and there was no cot for my daughter.

It was a twin bedroom with one standard double bed and a single bed, so I had to sleep with daughter on the double bed whilst hubby slept in the single. When I questioned this the staff said to me I should have made a request when I made the booking which I did and there was no cot
. To make matters worse my daughter had a bit of an accident in the morning - we went out for a day and came back only to find out they didnt change the sheet, it was the same one we slept on the previous night with the dirty on. So I went to see someone to that I could get a clean sheet. The staff I spoke to did not even apologise to what had happened, didnt even show anyremorse at all. To make things worse I the Customer had to make the bed. Really I have never ever come across this in my entire life. What a crap hotel, I shall never ever visit this misserable hotel again.

There was an old man there who was at the reception when we left, I am not sure if he could be the owner of the hotel or the manager but he did not have any customer service skills at all. He looked miserable all the time and not helpfull at all, you would think he was forced to be in work. Oooh what a misserable hotel, never again!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Francisca B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2013

We stayed here when visiting Rhyl for a weekend. We were given room 28. Initially as we walked in we were delighted to see a four poster bed. Very nice, until you realise that once lying in bed the TV is unwatchable because of the lace curtains and four poster framework. It would have been far better if the TV was on top of the drawers at the foot of the bed, at least you'd be able to see it.

The room was also unbearable hot, even though the radiators were off. Couldn't figure out where the heat was coming from.

Neither of the two windows would open so we couldn't even cool off, and finally, it's a huge room but it has a three quarter bed in it. Confusing.

Didn't sample breakfast as this was extra to the £60 a night price tag, London prices and attitude in a Northwest setting.

• Stayed March 2013
Stratford-upon-Avon, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2013

Staff unhelpfull, told on the phone when booking there was no availability for a standard double, so had to upgrade to a sea view room, only to find when we got there that the hotel was virtually empty and there were plenty of standard double rooms. When we questioned the owner/manager about this, she denied we were told this and said quote PROVE IT!!!
Sub standard hotel, with a dog in the next room constantly barking! sub standard room and sub standard breakfast, with an owner with attitude!!!
Never ever again

Room Tip: If you have to book this (hotel) ask for a room that is Not next to a room with a dog!!!
3 Thank 3nicholes

Travelers are raving about these Rhyl hotels

Cannock, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2013

I stayed in this hotel during the week hotel was packed, staff really friendly and helpful!! Fantastic entertainment specially Wednesday!! Even the barman was doing rock n roll over the counter never seen anything like it :-))))!! Shops next door which was great and train and bus station a 5 minute walk!!! Waitress's service couldn't be any better girls can't do enough for you very efficient!! My room was spotless very spacious and had a fantastic sea view which I hadn't even asked for! I can't understand why people run this hotel down they obviously expect the ritz, or they have complained about something minor and not had their own way!!! I can't fault it here and me and my partner will be staying here again in the near future!! Thankyou Westminster for our lovely stay :-) xx

Room Tip: If any upgraded rooms available worth taking!!!
Ilminster
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2013

My wife and I have just returned from a four night stay at this hotel, which is superbly sited right on the sea front at Rhyl. We have never stayed at an hotel with such dedicated, helpful and friendly staff. Our room, which had a sea view was spotlessly clean, and the freshly laundered crisp white bed linen was greatly appreciated after a long coach journey.

The food was of good quality and always hot, the waitress service being very professional yet friendly.

The lift to the three floors was quite small, but this didn't seem to raise too many problems, and proved quite adequate. The evening entertainment was very good, and we felt that the whole 5 day break was really enjoyed by all. We will certainly look forward to staying at the Westminster again in the future!!

Room Tip: Our sea view room on the 3rd floor was excellent, traffic noise was negligible
1 Thank IlminsterDavidP
Norwich, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2013

Excellent choice of hotel thanks to D.U. and Westminster owners, typical modernised Victorian Terrace, altered and converted through the years, some parts not very well organised, Small central lift ,bar prices commented on entertainment has to be paid for.
Excellent value for a budget 5 day break
this is a thoroughly good full waitress service ,owners on the premises. it appeared ninety percent of requests were fulfilled, of course some people can complain about the rain is wet
Thanks to D.U. finding double value hotels and charging modist coach travel, B&B with dinner, 2 or 3 outings at such a marvellous prices, Thanks Westminster
ACB and CAB

Room Tip: Coach trips have no choice. If not satisfied and hotel not full reception will do their best for you...
1 Thank Allan B
Peterborough
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2013

We had a 5 day tour with David Urquhart and they use the Westminster hotel in Rhyl as the base . Even though there was a coach of people the reception was quick and cheerful staff on hand. As previous the lift to 3 floors is quite small and only allows a max of 4 persons (without their cases). We were allocated a room on floor 3 which appears to be the "smoking" floor and the room confirmed this. A further conversation with the reception and we were moved to the fourth floor (no lift this high), but they had to be persuaded politely that floor 3 was not for us. The top floor appeared to have been recently renovated and was certainly in better condition than previous room with better bathroom, larger floor space.
The meals were varied through the week and there was always sufficient and one of our table companions who was gluten free seemed to have the best choice all week.
The staff at the hotel were always cheerful and willing to help with anything and the live nightly entertainment was obviously based on the residents and reflected the 60ish music and was very good.
On the whole a good base to get about and see what wales had to offer.

Room Tip: If non smoker avoid floor 3.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rhyl
Pier Hotel Rhyl
#1 of 2 in St. Asaph
Plas Ifan
Plas Ifan
#1 of 3 in Prestatyn

Been to Westminster Hotel? Share your experiences!