“Great Stay”
Review of Westminster Hotel

Westminster Hotel
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Rhyl
Reviewed September 9, 2011

Stayed here with my husband on a Newmarket coach trip touring North Wales. (3 nights)
We were all made welcome on arrival. Room 70 ,that we occupied was on the top floor which overlooked the back, the room was very clean and tidy with a good bed, bathrooom was also quite big & also clean ,tv etc all worked .
The dining room was bright and airy as was the lounge and the staff very friendly, certain reception staff could have smiled more. All the meals in the dining room were good & the girls that served us were brilliant, very quick service & friendly.
Be aware that the lift to the first 3 floors only carries 2 people, 4 at a squash, (no lift to the 4th floor, just a small flight of stairs though) Night entertainment of Saturday & Sunday was brill.
The hotel is situated right on the front opposite the promenade which is very clean.
Overall a very pleasant stay at this hotel . Well done Newmarket Coach Holidays :-)

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Jane R

Reviewed September 8, 2011

we have just returned from a 1 night stay and we booked 1 double room and 1 family room for 2 adults 2 kids, both rooms were clean and had everything needed, the double room was a smoking room as requested but my wife smokes and yes it did smell a little bit of fags but not a problem. the reception area and staff were clean and helpful and we checked in no problems, we were fortunate to drive into car park and find a space straight away but spaces did come available through out the day as people checked out. we had a drink in the bar at night as the weather was to bad to venture out the lager was a little dear at £3.50 a pint but it was a good pint of carlsburg and i paid £3.30 in a local for a bad pint during the day. cant coment on food as we ate out. we would return again no problem. the only thing i did not like was the weather. dave.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed August 29, 2011

the overall stay me and my partner had was fine,the room was clean and tidy and smelled nice,clean towels,bedlinen.car parking was very small so ended up leaving car down a different road but was fine,staff were friendly no problems.we didnt eat there so couldnt comment on the food.could do with a paint on the outside of the hotel as it would make it more attractive on arrival if this was to be done,but overall fine,we are thinking of coming back to rhyl again soon and would stop back at the westminster hotel.rhyl its self was clean,and alot was new so the effort has been made to make it more appealing for a seaside resort,we didnt see any trouble,hardley any noise so all good.not to bad for a short break.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank baggiejay
Reviewed August 18, 2011

had booked late for one night, on arrival thought I had definatey parked in the wrong car park, had to pay up front as arrived late, whilst climbing the stairs to the room, feeling nauseous from the damp stale and rotten food smells I just knew it wasn't going to be any better once the door was opened. I said to my daughter just go straight back to the car as this may be embarrassing. I went straight back to reception and said i can't stay here it smell so bad< she said what do you mean? I repeated, It smells and its filthy! there was no argument and my card was refunded. I guess they are quite used to this.
Dont even think about staying at this hotel, It needs closing down before it falls down!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
5  Thank ginahk0712
Reviewed August 13, 2011

I hate complaining BUT feel I must warn other potential guest about this hovel of a hotel. If you have seen the film The amityville horror and the scene where the flys are all over the window then you get the picture. Room had half a mars bar on the floor and the carpet was sticky so I just kept my shoes on at all times. To be fair ensuite was actually very nice great shower. Breakfast I tried once and as I don't like my food luke warm and swimming in grease I breakfasted elsewhere after day one. Alllthough I didn't have much contact with the staff I did hear some guy have a go at a guest for closing the front door, I heard the said member of staff say bloody coach holidayers I am sorry but its the coach holidayers that keep you in business. I highly recommend Rhyl its a lovley holiday town but for your own sakes DON'T pick the Westminster Hotel for your choice of accomodation

• Stayed: August 2011
6  Thank lovelancs
Reviewed July 19, 2011

My wife & I stayed here as part of a Newmarket holiday trip to Portmerion & I can only say that Newmarket holidays really need to inspect this hotel & consider f it is in fact giving them a bad name. We had to use a block of wood provided to "chock" up the only sash window in room 20 in order to have some ventilation. The "En Suite" was a joke as you could not stand at the sink & shut the door at the same time, also when you had used the toilet it was so narrow that you had to leave the "cupbaord" to clean yourself afterwards.I can only say that this hotel is horrendous do yourself a favour & avoid like the plague.

Room Tip: Book another hotel
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank r1828
Reviewed July 15, 2011

We stayed at the hotel for one night on the 9th July. Myself ,my husband and 9yr old son arrived and we .given room 9 which is on the first floor,the room was extremely clean and spacious,the view was beautiful over looking the sea.The usual tea/coffee making facilities,plenty of space in the room and a recently decorated ensuite bathroom.We didnt eat at the hotel so cannot comment on the food.The staff were so friendly and made you feel very welcome.As for Rhyl itself,dont expect anything great,a lot of it is very run down,but they are trying to tidy the place up.The front has under gone a makeover and really is very nice.Great for a day or two if the weather is nice,but wouldnt really recommend if you want a week or more,there isnt an awful lot to do.The hotel itself has a few parking spaces but they fill quickly,no other free parking is near, surrounding streets are permit holders only,so you may end up paying quite a bit for the multi storey car park.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank cupidsbow
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rhyl
Pier Hotel Rhyl
#1 of 2 in St. Asaph
Springfield Hotel & Health Club
Springfield Hotel & Health Club
#1 of 1 in Pentre Halkyn

Been to Westminster Hotel? Share your experiences!