This hotel is quite a find. I am fortunate enough to have travelled extensively, and can readily appreciate that it is the little things which differentiate the excellent from the mediocre. All too often hotels merely go through the motions, aiming to impress on a superficial level. True hospitality requires a more ambitious scope, which this hotel clearly embraces. In the same manner that a memorable dish requires careful preparation, a warm welcoming environment is a product of meticulous planning and a deep seated understanding of knowing what your clients value.
All this pays off in the result: welcoming common areas lead to a well appointed room, airy, simple yet charming in a way which seems to elude minimalist designs. Comfortable bed, high quality linen, bathroom fixtures etc - in other words the money has been spent where it counts and where others are tempted to cut corners. Spotlessly clean (even the top of the door is dusted - I checked!).
The dining is exceptional. Choice ingredients, locally sourced (again the attention to detail), expertly put together to produce a dining experience that will last long in the memory. Not a 'cheap' option, but exceptional value for money for the quality on offer. You can pay twice as much in other (sometimes ludicrously pretentious) establishments and not even get close to matching what this kitchen is capable of turning out. I would recommend you try this restaurant even if not staying at the hotel but are in the vicinity - it is that good, and repeat local business is testament to that. Service is genuinely friendly, but unobtrusive, Excellent breakfast by the way.
Finally a word on the manager. Some have commented on him coming across a trifle brusque. I found him pleasant, efficient and self-assured. He is clearly no fool, and perhaps won't suffer any gladly, and to some this 'intellectual' character type can be misinterpreted as being 'difficult'. I find it refreshingly honest and straightforward. I can't comment on his willingness to sort out problems, because in my case there were none.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A very comfortable, 'home from home,' independently run, full-service quality hotel, the only hotel in Porthmadog. It has been awarded 3* by the AA and Visit Wales, 2 AA Rosette for its food and included in the Good Food Guide, using the best of local Welsh suppliers. Children are welcome and particularly pets in our courtyard rooms. Ground Floor rooms also available for those with walking difficulties. Private covered parking, cycle lock up, drying room. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, Priceline, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Cheap Tickets and Orbitz so you can book your Royal Sportsman Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Royal Sportsman
- Royal Sportsman Porthmadog
- Royal Sportsman Hotel Porthmadog, Wales