“A wonderful nights sleep and a friendly host!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Moorings

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Tarbert
The Moorings
Ranked #1 of 14 Tarbert B&B and Inns
Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
“A wonderful nights sleep and a friendly host!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2013

My mum and dad and I stayed here last night on our way to Islay first thing in the morning. From the moment we parked the car Andrew was in the garden asking if we needed any help with bags! The garden is full of ceramic creature and wind chimes which give the place a magical feel! Both bedrooms were immaculate, the facilities good and the beds the most comfortable I have ever slept in! We didn't get to stay for breakfast as the ferry was leaving at 7am and so we had to be up early but I'm sure we will return to try the famous fruit bowl!

From one cleaning enthusiast to another thank you very much!

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank Amy C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
London, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2013

We were greeted by hooting owls, herons, frogs and the other ceramic creatures populating the garden of this charming cottage as we made our way to the door. We received an even warmer welcome from our host Andrew and his dogs, who instantly made us feel at home. The interior is just as packed with curiosities, from bejewelled globes to carved wooden birds, as the garden. Our room was spotlessly clean and offered a delightful view over the picturesque harbour. It had a large shower, TV and everything else you could want. The highlight of our stay was the amazing breakfast, which included haggis on one morning and set us up perfectly for the day.

The village itself has some lovely restaurants and art shops. It looked like a great base for exploring by foot, though, being there for a wedding, we didn't make it much further than the castle at the top of the hill (once, briefly home to Robert the Bruce, but now in ruins, having been ransacked to build the village). On our travels by car, we did spot seals, a stag and an otter, so I imagine it would be a great place for some nature-spotting. We would highly recommend both The Moorings and Tarbert for a stay.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank HounslowBob
Southampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2013

This was another return trip to stay at the Moorings. Although early in the year Andrew was a welcoming as ever. Room 1 is by far the best bed I have ever slept in at a B&B. Wi Fi arrived whilst we were there and this is a definite improvement. Excellent breakfast with finest sausages far better than any hotel we have stayed in. Tarbert was a beautiful as ever and a lovely meal at the Anchor Hotel made the visit even more special.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Helenann62
Campbeltown, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2012

It was dark when I arrived and as I walked up the path I saw so many photo opportunities for the morning, I wasn't disappointed. I was warmly greeted by Andrew who showed me up to a very warm clean room. I woke in the morning with a view of the castle and then went down for a fabulous breakfast rhen took my photo.s. Andrew was a great host and I would willingly visit again.

ps when I was looking for somewhere to stay in Tarbert I looked at the Starfish holiday lettings site an it looks as though someone has been causing mischief because when I clicked on the picture of The Moorings it directed me to a totally different site so beware as this could be a dangerous site to visit.

Room Tip: Over the loch at the front or up to the castle at the back both good
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Steve B
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2012

We planned to be in Tarbert in 2013, but a little good luck found us returning this year.
Andrew deserves all the praise he receives for The Moorings. His recent house and garden makeover are a great success and he is always the most amiable of landlords. Note: the piano is in the guest dining room and Andrew loves the opportunity listen, learn and play.
The spacious double room with ensuite we had at the front of the house overlooks the garden, and I think Andrew must have nocturnal help from some of the resident gnomes to ensure there are always flowers and shrubs in bloom. Then, when you’ve quite finished marvelling at the way Andrew accessorises the house and garden, there is the ever-changing sensational view of the harbour just across the road.
Breakfast on holiday should always be special and Andrew makes sure that his guests do not leave the table disappointed or hungry. Together with the usual cereals and yoghurt, there are fresh berries followed by a truly indulgent full Scottish cooked breakfast. It’s worth travelling 12,000 miles just for that.
Roll on September 2013 and we will again be making tracks for Tarbert and The Moorings.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank fhgk
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2012

Andrew is the friendliest, kindest, most welcoming B&B host in Scotland, nay, the UK. We've been back to beautiful Tarbert twice now and I'm 100% sure that we'll be back again. Our host remembers all his guests and remembered exactly what we enjoyed and what he had recommended in the local area a year and clearly many many guests later! With the newly landscaped garden and remodelled rooms Andrew has been able to stamp his mark on the 19th century Victorian villa with the most serene views over Tarbert Harbour and loch Fyne. Andrew is an incredibly houseproud host and, whatever the weather, he can be found tending his garden which is a real joy. Cyclist friendly (even when wet and muddy!), take it from Meg and James, this is the place to book! See you next year Andrew!

Room Tip: Ask for the 'Fyne facing' rooms - tremendous view!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Driffield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2012

We came to Tabert mid-sept. for The Festival. From our perspective this turned out to be something of an anti-climax.
Inspite of this our enjoyment of our time in Tabert was superlative; all down to our extended* stay at The Moorings & the service & friendship extended to us both by our host, Andrew.
Add our vote to the 176 Excellents. Previous guests have nearly said it all.
I'll just add my personal appreciation of the Beautiful Bowl of Scots Berries which greeted us each morning, as we took our places at the table. It's consumption amply & pleasurably passed the time while Andrew cooked our breakfasts' to a 'T'.
I now think the 'Bowl of Berries' is the perfect companion to the 'Great Scots breakfast'! I usually struggle to walk on a cooked breakfast & many is the time I've sworn not to have the cooked breakfast more than once whilst on a walking-break & staying in B&Bs. This time I wasn't aware of my feet fighting my stomach all morning! Though as usual the cooked breakfast saw us through until our evening dinner.
*Very wet weather caused us to abandon our plans to camp, so we were able to have another night with Andrew & to experience the delights of another of his small'ish, but perfectly appointed rooms.

Room Tip: If travelling by car with large suitcases, decant enough into a smaller bag for your overnight stay...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tarbert
Anchor Hotel
#1 of 3 in Tighnabruaich
Knap Guest House
Knap Guest House
#3 of 14 in Tarbert

Been to The Moorings? Share your experiences!