“Fantastic Food”

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Tarbert
Glenrothes, United Kingdom
“Fantastic Food”
Reviewed March 31, 2012

Stayed at nearby Stonefield Castle and decided to go out on second night. Service in the Sea Bed restaurant was excellent and the food was superb. Highly recommend to anyone visiting the area.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 10, 2012

Excellent service, food and wine. Well done to The Anchor Hotel for a great Wine Tasting Evening. We were not sure what to expect, perhaps a wine rep giving us the heavy sell and being limited to how much we drank! Not at all, from the very start of the evening we were greeted with a glass(or two)of bubbly, then moved to the beautifully decorated table, where a selection of wine glasses were ready and waiting to be filled. The staff were very attentive and Eva the wine rep. was knowledgeable and not at all pushy. The 5 course meal was delicious and served at a relaxed pace, whilst we savoured a selection of excellent wines which were described in a easy to understand friendly manner. Great value for money at only £35 per head.
So, my only question is "When are you holding the next one". I will be first on the reservations list!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Glasgow, Scotland
Reviewed February 19, 2012

The place still looks immaculate since it's refub about a year ago with very tasteful decor throughout the public areas and the room which we stayed.

We stayed in Room 10 which was larger than last time with separate bathroom and shower rooms but less of a sea-view.

Overall I cannot fault the hotel for anything; the staff were attentive, polite and respectful. The food was first -class which I will breakdown later and the place has a consistently friendly atmosphere which got more vibrant at night in line with the quantity of people having dinner in the Seabed restaurant within the ground floor area.

Although I genuinely cannot fault anything about the hotel it is the quality and presentation of the food which separates it from competitors;

On Friday night I had Salmon cured with beetroot with chilli jam condiment. This was a recommendation from one of the staff which I always think is great customer experience.

The starter looked excellent visually, as the top of the Salmon had become beetroot coloured while the bottom of the salmon was traditionally coloured. This dish tasted as good as it was presented - Superb!

I followed this up monkfish wrapped in parma ham on a bed of sweet potato, with asparagus tips. Again, visually stunning and beautiful flavours.

My wife had a medium rare fillet steak with peppercorn sauce and skin-on homemade chips which she raved about.

I, as always, finished off with a cheese board and glass of Tawny port which was excellent. If I had any criticism it would be that I would add a chutney to the cheese board but the selection was excellent.

On the Saturday lunchtime I had a simple lunch of Cullen Skink soup which was arguably the best I have ever had - beautiful lumps of smoked haddock with plenty of onion/potato in a rich creamy soup with fresh parsley on top. This is served with homemade flavoured breads - first class.

We booked in for dinner on Saturday night which was mobbed. Both the main restaurant and the private function area were completely full. The front of house staff were run off their feet for the full night - both Alastair and Kayleigh deserve special mention for their professionalism and blatant hard work.

I had fish cake starter which was light and fluffy with plenty of white and pink fish inside. This was served on a bed of salad with a tabasco style dipping sauce. I was offered one or two of the fishcakes and advised that some people find two fishcakes to be too much as a starter – excellent customer service again in my opinion.

I then had the same dish as my last visit. Smoked Haddock risotto with scallops in a lightly oiled pesto style dressing. Without doubt the best dish of the weekend and every bit as good as the last visit. The risotto was too much for me and I declined the offer of dessert.

The quality of food in this place is simply outstanding. It’s a real gem in the Argyle area and would compete with AA rosette restaurants.

I would highly recommend both the restaurant and hotel for couples and families alike but the food alone is worth travelling for.

Room Tip: Room 10 for large room with separate shower and bathroom
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Alistair_Young
Reviewed February 10, 2012

We were on a day trip and dined in the Sea Bed restaurant within the hotel.
The decor was modern and the menu offered a selection of seafood and home cured salmon which is not to be missed. Homemade bread was also provided which was absolutely delicious. Staff were attentive and welcoming. Our visit was in February when everything else was closed so it was wonderful to find such a wee diamond on our trip.
Will definitely return and would hope to stay in the hotel the next time.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jillyll
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 31, 2012

Had a fantastic evening at this hotel's restaurant. Food was well presented, excellent selection of local seafood and service was prompt friendly and very patient givin our rabble. Would strongly recommend you try this place

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Inverness, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 23, 2012

I'll start by confirming I didn't actually stay here but was shown around the rooms and function suite by the owners. From the outside it is a very traditional waterfront looking building. Once inside I was however pleasantly surprised by the modernisation and upgrading that has been undertaken. All the bedrooms have been upgraded to a good chic modern standard almost transforming into a boutique hotel which would put a lot in Glasgow to shame.

Would thoroughly consider staying there when next in the area.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
newcastle upon tyne
Reviewed January 4, 2012

Had a wonderful meal and evening entertainment to welcome in the new year. Management and staff made the evening very special and managed to get everyone involved. Met some great people and the two sisters who supplied the entertainment were brilliant. Hope they can do the same next new year.

Room Tip: Didnt have a room as we keep our boat in the marina.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tarbert
Stonefield Castle Hotel
#1 of 1 in Kilfinan
Cairnbaan Hotel
Cairnbaan Hotel
#1 of 1 in Cairnbaan

Been to Anchor Hotel? Share your experiences!