It's a freaking castle. What's more epic than staying in a castle in Scotland? That's right, staying in the penthouse room for 130 pounds. The inside of the castle is exactly what you'd expect. Chandaliers, dark glossy wood paneling, and old bookcases that look like they should lead into hidden rooms pulled everything together.
The only down side (although it's probably not a down-side for most people) is that this place is about 2 hours West of Glasgow in a little port town called Tarbert (somewhat the middle of nowhere). The only reason we stayed here was because we had previoulsy stayed in Islay and took the 6pm ferry. It might be slightly out of the way if you're just coming here to stay the night, especially because the weather may not be as friendly as it was to us. I bet this place gets much more attention during the summer.
You'd think this whole castle thing would be cliche, but they pulled it off extremely well. I would have worn a suit if I had packed one. But even if you think it's cliche, you won't when you experience their fully stocked whisky bar. That's right, you'll be sipping whisky in a library room of a castle in Scotland. 'Ach... There was probably even a princess stuck in one of the towers. I'll definitely come here again with my parents the next time I'm in Scotland.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Stonefield Castle Hotel is an outstanding example of Scottish baronial architecture. Built in 1837, the Castle stands high on the famous Kintyre peninsula, commanding spectacular panoramic views over Loch Fyne. In keeping with its unique location and character, many of the original period furnishings have been retained to complement the timeless ambience that is Stonefield Castle. Guests can relax in the traditional elegance of wood panelled lounges with fine corniced ceilings, unwind on leisurely walks through the sixty acres of woodland grounds, or simply enjoy a leisurely pace of life far removed from the stress of city living. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Priceline, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Cheap Tickets, Hotwire, Agoda and HotelQuickly so you can book your Stonefield Castle Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Stonefield Castle Tarbert
- Hotel Stonefield Castle
- Stonefield Castle Hotel Tarbert, Scotland