“Stunning Views”

Stonefield Castle Hotel
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Tarbert
Reviewed October 4, 2012

The situation of this hotel is superb. The staff are very friendly and try to be helpful. The public rooms are very gracious in keeping with the character of the building. However the bedrooms are tired and there was paint peeling off in the en-suite. The dining room is stunning and on a summers evening the views down Loch Fyne would be amazing. However on the evening we were there for dinner the service was very poor. We were told we were entitled to a free bottle of wine only to be informed later that we weren't. They'd got our room number wrong. I feel a hotel worth it's salt would have given us the wine anyway! From being given the menu it was over an hour before we were served our food. It appeared there was a shortage of staff with the young lady in the bar having to double up as a waitress in the restaurant. No-one seemed to be in overall control. We felt the food was average although there were glowing comments in the Guest's book.

Room Tip: Our room was 'standard'. Perhaps the more expensive rooms have been updated
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
OHIML, General Manager at Stonefield Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2012

Thank you for writing about your recent stay at Stonefield. I am sorry you found fault with certain aspects of your stay but we will use your constructive criticism to improve quality and standards where necessary. I am grateful to you for taking the time to point these out to me, thank you.

There are newer reviews for Stonefield Castle Hotel

Reviewed October 3, 2012

Loved the "castle" rooms but hotel room could have been more impressive. It wasn't the most up to date and the mattress was from the 70's I'm sure but was surprisingly still somewhat comfortable. Great view over the ocean but the window had to be kept open and it was above the back kitchen entrance so everytime someone left or arrived or went out to smoke etc. it was loud. Everytime someone walked down the hall outside our room, we were woke up as well because of the old building. breakfast was disappointing with flies & wasps landing on the food inside and 2 small hairs on the meat/cheese platter that I chose from and 1 hair in the scrambled eggs my partner had(I suggest hair nets in the back!). Was really looking forward to staying in a castle and this was the most cost effective option so we drove a long way to stay here and would choose somewhere else next time.

Room Tip: Request a view in the original castle
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple

As General Manager of Stonefield I am sad to read that you did not have a positive guest experience when you stayed with us. My team and I pride ourselves on the fact that we make every effort in every area to achieve the highest guest satisfaction and clearly in this case we fell short. Your comments are much appreciated and will only help us improve in the areas you mention. Thank you for bringing them to my attention and I hope one day you will return and allow us to show you Scottish hospitality at its very best.

Reviewed October 3, 2012

Stayed at the Stonefield with my daughter.
I cannot say enough good things about this hotel. It was very quiet while we were there and since we were looking for peace and quiet, it was perfection. The staff was amazing. Incredibly friendly and accommodating (especially our lovely waitress).
We stayed for 3 nights and would gladly return. Gorgeous common rooms, lovely grounds (which are just the right balance of groomed and wild), and delicious food.
The decor is pitch perfect. Authentic and not contrived. Our room was a bit more modern than the rest of the hotel, but not jarringly so. Lovely and cozy.
My daughter and I had a great game of billiards in the tucked away games room (I won.)
Cannot think of a single flaw.
Would love to return and stay in one of the tower rooms.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family

Thank you very much for your kind comments. We strive for perfection at Stonefield and it gives us a real boost when guests tell others on Tripadvisor how well they think we are doing. I am so glad both you and your daughter enjoyed your time with us and I do hope you will return in the not too distant future.

Reviewed October 1, 2012

My girlfriend and I have just returned from a 3 night stay at the Stonefield Castle. We had a week off work and had been thinking of going abroad but eventually opted for a relaxing break in our own country. We are so glad we did!

On arrival at the hotel we were shown to our second floor room by a very friendly member of reception staff. We then ventured downstairs to explore. To say the views from the dining room are stunning would be an understatement.

The service and staff were all fantastic. The food was amazing. Let's face it Loch Fyne and seafood is a no brainer. It's what it's famed for apart from whisky ,scenery and hospitality. We have read the negative comments on this website and don't feel the need to "Warn" anyone. Who are these people?!

Anne and her staff are truly hard working decent fine people and combined, they make the Castle a true find, which is why we are already planning our next trip. PS we have put the key in the post...

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank Dowdinho
OHIML, General Manager at Stonefield Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 8, 2012

I am so glad you enjoyed your stay at Stonefield. It was an absolute pleasure to have you both here with us and your compliments regarding both the Castle and my staff are much appreciated. We do hope you will visit again and thank you so much for returning the room key.

Reviewed September 27, 2012

My husband and I recently spent 3 nights at Stonefield Castle and had a wonderful time, the castle is situated down a long winding drive and lovely gardens with spectacular loch views. The breakfast/dining area has spectacular loch views and the staff make you feel very welcome in the beautiful surroundings. The room also had spectacular views and we really enjoyed our stay. The only thing that we had to complain about was the bed!!! very very hard and uncomfortable - we never, ever, complain however we both had such a bad nights sleep we felt a further 2 nights would be a nightmare. The staff were very friendly and did their utmost to solve our problem and although we didn't change rooms, they kindly supplied a further duvet to lie on which made our sleep much better. A wonderful experience but a real shame about the bed.

Room Tip: Loch view room 32 has terrible bed - hard and uncomfortable
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us. Constructive criticism is most welcome at Stonefield and your comments regarding the bed in your room can only help us achieve better guest satisfaction. I have passed your compliments to my team and we hope you will come back and visit us again in the future.

Reviewed September 25, 2012

Having stayed at this magnificent country castle hotel we would most definitely stay again, food fantastic and the staff and management so helpful and friendly to the extreme. The comfort of all the rooms passed all expections.

1  Thank Pamela H

Many thanks for your very kind review. I am so pleased you loved our castle as much as we do. Haste ye back!

Reviewed September 24, 2012

Ever imagined yourself staying a night or 2 in a Scottish castle with a breathtaking view overlooking a Loch? Stonefield Castle Hotel is the perfect way to experience 'how the other half live' and unwind in comfortable surroundings.

My partner and myself had the pleasure of staying 2 nights at this luxurious location. We were extremely grateful to the General Manager who was accommodating in providing us with exceptional customer service with regards to a small initial hiccup with our room. In fact, all of the staff were extremely friendly, attentive and helpful with all aspects of our stay.

As for our dining experience - the food was sumptuous and generous in both taste as well as portion sizing with a gorgeous view of Loch.

I have no hesitation recommending this hotel to friends and family alike for a short stay or simply to just soak in the ambience whilst having a bite to eat at the restaurant.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave such a lovely review. We are so glad you both enjoyed your time with us at Stonefield. I have passed your compliments to the rest of my team and we hope to welcome you back to the castle sometime in the not too distant future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Tarbert
Anchor Hotel
#1 of 2 in Tighnabruaich
Kilfinan Hotel
Kilfinan Hotel
#1 of 1 in Kilfinan

Been to Stonefield Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!