“Worlds apart” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Retreat

Retreat
Ranked #26 of 137 Restaurants in Stourbridge
Good for: Special occasions, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Drinks, Late Night, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
“Worlds apart”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2012 via mobile

Having had a bad experience earlier in the year we needed some persuading to go back to see how it is under new management. Well we need not have worried from the improved decor to the warm welcome made a great start. The starters were all top notch with some interesting variations on classic dishes. The main courses again were good honest food with a bit of flair. The whole evening was most enjoyable from start to finish and good value. Even more so given they have only been open just over a week. We will return

Stourbridge, United Kingdom
“Lovely Little Italian”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2012

This is a lovely little italian restuarant tucked away in Oldswinford Stourbridge. It has a very large bar area where couples or groups of friend gather and then move into the dining area. It has a large selection of starters and main courses a lot of them being pasta, naturally as it is an Italian but it also offers fish and steak as an alternative. Wines very very reasonable priced, I can certainly recommend the house white, service is always with a smile and the food is reaonable priced too, often with a set menu in the week which is an even better deal.You mus try it.

• Visited May 2012
1 Thank Kn0wlsey
Halesowen
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Not good.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2012

We visited here (July 2012) as we'd passed it many times and (after reading menu on internet) booked a table. When we arrived, there was a notice on door that 'no cards accepted' - so we had to visit cashpoint down road. We entered, got a drink (I had Peroni, which was not up to standard...a tad flat) and looked at menu - which was nothing like one on internet (which is what tempted me). We were seated at table, ordered food (not available) so chose something from special's board (random dishes available)...and then were told the restaurant was closing that weekend (changing hands), so I suspect that's why the menu/beer/payment option was substandard. We left.

• Visited July 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Stourbridge, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Birthday retreat”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2012

Our visit to the Retreat was a special for my wife's birthday. On arrival at the restaurant a notice on the door informed us that they could not accept any payment by card. A visit to a local cashpoint had to be made to collect cash for payment. We went early in the evening and the restaurant was quiet with only two other tables taken when we arrived. We ordered our starters and my wife's choice was a blue cheese and mushroom tartlet. She was informed that they had run out of the tartlets but could have the blue cheese and mushroom. We ordered our main and I ordered a ribeye steak, this arrived and we continued our meal. I then discovered a dead fly on my plate which really turned me off eating the rest of it. I informed the waiter who was very apologetic, that I did not expect to pay for this meal as it had spoilt it for me. He agreed that no charge would be made for my meal, although we did pay for the rest of the party. They did offer a complimentary coffee which we accepted whilst we waited for the bill. On inspecting the bill, I noticed that they had charged twice for a carafe of wine which they then adjusted the bill. We all felt that this would be our last visit to the Retreat and we would also let our friends know of our experience.

• Visited July 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Claire C
“Great food, friendly laid back atmosphere”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2012 via mobile

Found the retreat on the Internet by chance, the website looked promising so we gave it a try.
From the exterior it doesn't look like anything special, but as soon as you're inside it is relaxed and friendly. The seating and decor are nothing extravagant but comfortable and their is plenty of space.
The service was friendly, unhurried, and helpful. A good choice of al a carte and a very reasonable set menu too. We ordered from the al a carte and the food was amazing, could not fault it one bit.
Of I have to pick fault it would be the attention to minor detail. The rim of a couple of wine glasses had not been dried after washing so looked stained, and the cutlery was similar, but a quick wipe myself and I was back to enjoying the great food.
We will definitely return.