“A nice find”

French Connection
Ranked #12 of 137 Restaurants in Stourbridge
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Family run Bistro serving quality food at a fair price. Seats up to 50 persons in a typically French Provincial Bistro setting.
Reviewed July 29, 2012

A little 'cafe' style (so not my ideal setting), but we ended up here accidently - but will probably revisit!! The service was just right and so was the food - it was HOT too! (unfortunately, one dessert was not available). I must add, the staff were wonderful, and the atmosphere was just right.

Christopher H, Owner at French Connection, responded to this reviewResponded August 23, 2012

Thank you for your review. Occasionally we have to withdraw an item from the menu, sometimes because of supply difficulties, sometimes because we have been caught out by demand, so I am sorry that we were short on the night you visited, we will try to do better in future. Thank you again for your review.

Reviewed July 26, 2012

Ignore the bad press, try it for yourself. Nothing too much trouble including mixing and matching from 3 different menus.
The potage de poisson was presented in a very different just exquisite way - recommended.
Service was excellent, very friendly comfortable atmospehre.

Thank you for your kind words, we try to be as typical as we can be of a provincial French Village restaurant and provide honest food in a relaxed atmosphere. Colette and I and all our staff really appreciate positive reviews and we take all comments, both positive and occasionaly negative very much to heart. Many thanks again for your review

Reviewed July 18, 2012

With a spelling mistake on each line of the menu, I was not expecting much but thought I would give this restaurant the benefit of the doubt. Unfortunately, all my fears were confirmed: from the checked tablecloth to a rendition of La vie en rose played on the accordion, all the clichés were reunited in the restaurant. Which I honestly wouldn't mind, even though as a French citizen I find a bit irritating that some people think France is stuck in the 50's, but the food was really poor, oily, tasteless. The "steak haché" was so ovetcooked it was unedible and the panini (a French delicacy as everyone knows...)was bland and industrial. The French fries and croque madame were not awful but forgettable.

Such a shame to give France such a bad name. I know French people are considered food snobs but with restaurants, I have no choice but to be critical. And please, at least hire someone to correct the spelling errors, you can't call yourself a French restaurant and not have a clue about the language itself.

7  Thank Frenchinuk
Christopher H, Owner at French Connection, responded to this reviewResponded July 20, 2012

Thank you for your review. My wife and I are usually on the premises and if a guest indicates their disatisfaction with what we have served, we will always do our best to reach a satisfactory solution. Although neither of us is French, we have a good understanding of the language and as we have many French friends and customers we often seek their advice on the spelling and grammer used in our Menus so it is unlikely that every line contains errors. We try to style ourselves on a fairly typical French Bistro that might be found in any rural town in France, and as such we, in common with our French counterparts, cater for local tastes. So we do serve paninis, and croques, we also serve a very popular English Breakfast and French croissants and pain au chocolat. We are also sorry that you feel that we have made a cliche of the French restaurant, but please visit la Mere Catherine in Montmartre on which this restaurant was originally based!

Reviewed July 14, 2012

as always great authentic food. lovely atmosphere.

Thank you for your kind words.

Reviewed July 7, 2012

Pop in here occasionally for a latte and bacon and eggs sandwich :)