“Dreadful experience”
Review of The French Hen

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Stourbridge
The French Hen
Ranked #5 of 6 Stourbridge B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 16, 2013 via mobile

Called in on the way back from the cinema because it has a good reputation for Sunday lunch. That may be- but sadly not on a Friday night! The mushroom starter was superb but it quickly went downhill when what can only be described as "elderly" mains were brought out. The chicken and the duck had definitely been reheated; the veg tasted literally of nothing and the carrots and greens were all the same shade of pale; and the jus with my duck was revolting- like gravy granules mixed with grenadine. The staff (school kids) weren't in the least bit bothered. Will never go back to eat there.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Blonkey

Reviewed October 30, 2013

I visited the French Hen for lunch yesterday, with two other friends and our three 6 month old babies.
The staff were fantastic - bent over backwards to make things as easy for us with our buggies and babies as possible. They spent time speaking to the children - I know it was a mid-week lunch time and they weren't crowded out, but you don't get that sort of welcome in many places. The food was great as well!
The only disadvantage I can see is that the toilet is upstairs. There are no baby changing facilities, but when my friend needed to change her daughter she was taken somewhere suitable.
I will definitely be going back, and would recommend the French Hen to anyone.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Kate L
Reviewed October 26, 2013

Waited over 1 hr for starter, another hour for main course, lamb shank was fatty and inedible, carrots bordering on raw, not a pleasant experience. A totally disappointing birthday meal. Will not be returning. Beware booking on a Saturday night, the function room comes before private diners.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Isobel R
Reviewed October 18, 2013

We have been a few times with the family and as a couple. I really love the atmosphere, its got a great feel.

Its not modern but thats why its nice. The food was lovely and the staff were friendly.

Its not spotless but i think thats just because of the bits of decoration everywhere.

Toilets need updating but they are clean. I couldn't find anywhere to change my little one but I manage and to be fair I didn't ask if there were any facilities.

Will go again but better as a couple. More for adults than families.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 25, 2013

This is such a nice place to spend an evening. The atmosphere is very relaxed and staff friendly and helpful. I have coeliac disease and have always been able to eat here but their menu just gets better. Nearly 75% of the menu was able to become gluten free. It is so lovely to go out and eat and feel 'normal'. The dauphinoise potatoes were gorgeous and all of us really enjoyed all our choices. Portions are a good size and nice to see a good selection of vegetable and side salads that aren't just a pile of leaves on the plate. My brother hadn't been before but he will be returning.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Jill P
Reviewed July 21, 2013

After reading a few not so great reviews we were a little put off but thought we'd try a Sunday dinner here as it wasn't too busy. We were pleasantly surprised, starter (soup) was delicious, our turkey dinners were great too. Large portions, plenty of veg and lots of turkey and cranberry. The service was fast and waitresses were very attentive. The price was very reasonable at £25 for a starter, 2 mains and 2 drinks. We would definitely return.

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank Becca1986
Reviewed June 25, 2013

Took dinner here on Sunday with family. Have eat here several times in the past but not recently. You can eat in the restaurant or at the bar. We opted for the bar, as was more a formal meal opposed to a special occasion.
The menu is very good and offers good choice of starters, main meal and snacks. For £12.95 you can have a 2 course meal on a Sunday. I had to start with the mushrooms in a garlic sauce, which came with half a baguette. The quality was good and portions were the right size. For the main course I had beef which came with a Yorkshire pudding and gravy. They bring a huge bowl of vegetables to the table, which mostly were sent back, not because they weren’t edible but as there were too many. We also ordered a side bowl of French fries, which were very good. Everything about the meals were brilliant, all of us commented on the quality of food, aswell as the price. As for 3 of us to have a 2course meal, a soft drink each and 4 beers between the 3 of us £65 is a steal. I will definitely be returning soon. The staff were also very good, and served us with a smile and bought us drinks when we required them.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family