“Not as it used to be”
Review of The French Hen

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Stourbridge
The French Hen
Ranked #5 of 6 Stourbridge B&B and Inns
midlands uk
“Not as it used to be”
Reviewed August 18, 2012

Expensive. Very poor food indeed. Staff very pleasant and friendly, and decor nice. But Chef needs to improve. Enjoyed an extremely pleasant evening with friends we do not see very often, but very disappointed in meal. No longer able to recommend

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Canongirl29

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
birmingham
Reviewed June 12, 2012

The wife and I went for an evening meal here on 11th May, as we knew the place three years ago and were tempted for a meal on our way back from visiting friends in Kidderminster,

Used to be a great pub, but we had a terrible time.
Staff were polite (when not stood by the kitchen chatting) and food was good (though too pricey) but drinks are now ridiculously over-priced.
A pint of a wel known, cheap lager and a glass of red wine was NINE POUNDS FIFTY !!!

And our meal was ruined by foul mouthed yobs who seem to be tollerated here now.
We were told by a staff member that the yobs are regulars!!!

Will not be returning!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
12 Thank pauldefoe

Travelers are raving about these Stourbridge hotels

west midlands
Reviewed April 15, 2012

Food OK, not as good as it used to be. Service very poor. We were a party of 6 and will not be returning under any circumstances and would not recommend to any of our family or friends.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
7 Thank louise c
Reviewed April 8, 2012

We decided to try this restaurant for my daughters 15th birthday. The service was excellent and the quality of the food was very very good. We had read the reviews and were a little unsure of what to expect but we are certainly glad we gave this place the benefit of the doubt. The food presentation and portion size was excellent. I normally like to clear my plate but on this occasion I could not manage it. All 5 of us enjoyed the atmosphere and the food. Even had a good variety to cater for vegetarians.

We will definitely be going back.

I can't comment on the hotel side if things as we did not stay.

• Stayed April 2012
2 Thank Ptull3
Stourbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 2, 2012

I visited the French hen on the 2nd April 2012 with my partner. I reluctantly went back to this pub after a disappointing experience last year and quite frankly wished I hadn't bothered.
We went for the lunch time menu ordering a steak baguette and cheese and onion baguette.

Both baguettes were luke warm and steak barely cooked. The salads which came with both baguettes was not fresh and clearly days old. The cucumber was floppy and should have been in the bin and not on my plate instead using balsamic vinegar in attempt to hide this.

The whole pub is in need of a damn good clean. Dirty menu's, ceiling and surrounding bar area does not give a good impression and you are left wondering what state the kitchen facility's are in.

To top the visit off a male member of staff was more interested in playing the fruit machine than serving waiting customer at the bar. (excellent customer services)

The waitress that served us was pleasant but I certainly wont be going back to this establishment.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Chamone83
West Midlands
Reviewed February 20, 2012

As we had not eaten at the French Hen Inn restaurant for 3 years we decided to go again recently. I hoped that after 3 years the menu might have changed but to my horror it was exactly the same. As I had eaten most of the meals on the menu I was massively disappointed as there wasn't anything on there that I would have chosen to eat more than once. The charge for the meal was high yet the quality was extremely low and I spent most of the following day on the toilet with diarrhea! As if that wasn't bad enough the service was appalling too. We went on a Sunday evening and the restaurant was half empty yet despite that and the fact there were two waitresses (one very surly) working we had to wait half an hour for our order to be taken. The meals then arrived within a timely manner but once we had finished we got so sick of waiting for our plates to be cleared and the dessert menu to arrive that we got up and asked for the bill then left. Overall a spoilt evening and we have vowed never to return and would not recommend this place.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank nojiggerchick
Cradley Heath
Reviewed November 28, 2011

First impressions of the pub was nice the look and feel about the place was fantastic but that was soon to change.
Party of 13 of us went and a number of things went wrong:
* 2 Steak meals Under cooked had to be returned to get recooked to Medium not RARE.
* 2 Meals for other people did not turn up till we had all finished our meals ( But was given for free and they did say sorry)
* One meal had a long hair in the potatoe.
* Apple and Rubarb Crumble was Black ( over cooked ) and tasted Off.

Overall i would never return to this place it looks lovely but the food aint , the lady who served us could not apologise enough so im guessing she has experinced problems before .

My own meal wasnt so bad but for the money you pay and the hastle we had DONT BOTHER !!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank RAMSY25
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stourbridge
Hogarths Stone Manor
#2 of 6 in Stourbridge
No photo provided
Rawsons' Retreat
#3 of 6 in Stourbridge

Been to The French Hen? Share your experiences!