“Disappointing”
Review of The French Hen

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Stourbridge
The French Hen
Ranked #5 of 6 Stourbridge B&B and Inns
Stourbridge, United Kingdom
“Disappointing”
Reviewed November 20, 2011

I took my mother here approx three weeks ago for a spot of friday afternoon lunch. I have eaten here before and enjoyed there lunch menu. When attempting to order door we were told that they only had one chief and weren't serving foot. The pub wasnt over busy. Very disappointing. We only wanted a steak chibbata.

• Stayed November 2011
5 Thank Chamone83

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Weston super Mare, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 11, 2011

If you are in the area and want to relax ,have a good meal,a drink and sleep well, then this is the place. From start to finish we ate well, we drank good cask and wellknown beers and lagers and because it is just off the beaten track, slept in near silence. For £50:00 per night for bed and continental breakfast it was good value.My wife and I would go there again although truth be known I do like a good old full english in the morning, but one must watch the midriff or so my wife says. worth trying 8 out of 10

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Bruce W
Stourbridge
Reviewed September 23, 2011

We visited in midweek when it was fairly busy. The food was very nice to a good standard with very adequate portions, so adequate that neither of us could manage a pudding.....Steve and Lynne, Stourbridge

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Stephen P
West Country, England
Reviewed August 22, 2011

After many recommendations, we decided to try the Bistro for dinner at The French Hen. The place was quiet (Monday evening) which gave us the opportunity to admire the unusual decor with its French style uniqueness. I particularly liked the statues with the religious inference- very unusual and very rural French.
Service was excellent, the young girl at the bar was welcoming and friendly and escorted us to our table in the dining room. Rustic wooden tables and chairs, with more French artefacts made for a simple but attractive dining area.
The food was simply superb, all three of us had something different for our main choice- and each meal was cooked beautifully with garden fresh vegetables, fresh crisp salads all of which were presented and cooked to perfection.
We were undeniably impressed and shall be returning as the first opportunity.

Room Tip: Book a table for dinner- restaurant gets very busy especially at weekends
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Karen_Kingswinford
Midlands
Reviewed August 4, 2011

We often visit this area for lunch because my Nan lives close, so we are always looking for new places to eat. This was recommended by someone, so on a lovely sunny day we thought we would try it out.
The outside area is great and there was plenty of room for my children to play, however the food was a bit disappointing. The soup I ordered as Tomato came and it was Tomato and Peppers, which I suppose is OK if you like peppers (which I don't). It is one of my pet peeves when restaurants omit to tell you the proper ingredients of their food. I swapped my soup with someone else for the other choice and wished I hadn't. It was awful. It looked and tasted like dirty dish water.
I had a salad for my main course, which was OK but nothing special.

The staff were friendly and the menu highlights Gluten Free options which I think all restaurants should do. I had a brief look inside and it did seem to need a good clean. The menus were sticky too which isn't usually a good sign of cleanliness.

Over all it was OK but I am not sure I would visit again.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Redditch, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 3, 2011

We did not stay as it was fully booked, however it is definitely somewhere we'd like to try, especially with the lovely countryside nearby. We dined on a Saturday night, the restaurant was busy but everything flowed smoothly. We had a table for four, just for the two of us and it was nice to have room to spread out. The menu was fairly small but there was more than enough on it for our palate. We both had 3 courses, coffee and shared a bottle of wine. In today's world of large plate small food, this was a refreshing change as we almost had too much food, the food was all freshly cooked and all vegetables were fresh, not frozen. The meat was incredible, definitely recommended. The service was efficient and friendly, considering how busy they were. We'll definitely be going back.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Anniew114
Birmingham
Reviewed March 18, 2011

We did not stay over night in the French Hen but, 7 friends and I had a meal here. it was a Saturday night, it was packed and we had a FANTASTIC time. The service was great considering how full it was, the atmosphere is lovely, really cosy and rustic and the food was absolutely spot on. Everyone enjoyed everything that was put in front of them. Can't wait to go back and try more dishes.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank jenm75
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stourbridge
Hogarths Stone Manor
#2 of 6 in Stourbridge
No photo provided
Rawsons' Retreat
#3 of 6 in Stourbridge

Been to The French Hen? Share your experiences!