“FIRST TIME AND VERY IMPRESSED”
Review of The French Hen

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Stourbridge
The French Hen
Ranked #5 of 6 Stourbridge B&B and Inns
West Country, England
“FIRST TIME AND VERY IMPRESSED”
Reviewed August 22, 2011

After many recommendations, we decided to try the Bistro for dinner at The French Hen. The place was quiet (Monday evening) which gave us the opportunity to admire the unusual decor with its French style uniqueness. I particularly liked the statues with the religious inference- very unusual and very rural French.
Service was excellent, the young girl at the bar was welcoming and friendly and escorted us to our table in the dining room. Rustic wooden tables and chairs, with more French artefacts made for a simple but attractive dining area.
The food was simply superb, all three of us had something different for our main choice- and each meal was cooked beautifully with garden fresh vegetables, fresh crisp salads all of which were presented and cooked to perfection.
We were undeniably impressed and shall be returning as the first opportunity.

Room Tip: Book a table for dinner- restaurant gets very busy especially at weekends
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Karen_Kingswinford

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Midlands
Reviewed August 4, 2011

We often visit this area for lunch because my Nan lives close, so we are always looking for new places to eat. This was recommended by someone, so on a lovely sunny day we thought we would try it out.
The outside area is great and there was plenty of room for my children to play, however the food was a bit disappointing. The soup I ordered as Tomato came and it was Tomato and Peppers, which I suppose is OK if you like peppers (which I don't). It is one of my pet peeves when restaurants omit to tell you the proper ingredients of their food. I swapped my soup with someone else for the other choice and wished I hadn't. It was awful. It looked and tasted like dirty dish water.
I had a salad for my main course, which was OK but nothing special.

The staff were friendly and the menu highlights Gluten Free options which I think all restaurants should do. I had a brief look inside and it did seem to need a good clean. The menus were sticky too which isn't usually a good sign of cleanliness.

Over all it was OK but I am not sure I would visit again.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Redditch, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 3, 2011

We did not stay as it was fully booked, however it is definitely somewhere we'd like to try, especially with the lovely countryside nearby. We dined on a Saturday night, the restaurant was busy but everything flowed smoothly. We had a table for four, just for the two of us and it was nice to have room to spread out. The menu was fairly small but there was more than enough on it for our palate. We both had 3 courses, coffee and shared a bottle of wine. In today's world of large plate small food, this was a refreshing change as we almost had too much food, the food was all freshly cooked and all vegetables were fresh, not frozen. The meat was incredible, definitely recommended. The service was efficient and friendly, considering how busy they were. We'll definitely be going back.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Anniew114
Birmingham
Reviewed March 18, 2011

We did not stay over night in the French Hen but, 7 friends and I had a meal here. it was a Saturday night, it was packed and we had a FANTASTIC time. The service was great considering how full it was, the atmosphere is lovely, really cosy and rustic and the food was absolutely spot on. Everyone enjoyed everything that was put in front of them. Can't wait to go back and try more dishes.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank jenm75
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 28, 2010

Went with family for Sunday lunch. Nowhere to sit whilst waiting for tables as all tables in bar full with the odd diner, but the way it is set up means there is very little room. Wine extortionate for a glass. French onion soup tasted like packet with bovril in it no crouton or cheese and it was cold had to be sent back. Pate so rich nearly inedible, very sludgy and bitter. Sunday dinner, meat comes out seperately and by the time veg arrived ( two small bowls between eight of us) it was cold. Waiters ignore you and hover near kitchen chatting to each other. Puddings could have been from iceland and £1.50 if you wanted a scoop of ice cream with it. The bill was £140 pounds wish we had gone to a Toby carvery. Never again

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Stourbridge hotels

leicestershire
Reviewed August 26, 2010

Before i wrote the following comments I did email the French Hen with what i was going to say. They did not reply and a second email finally got a response. They said their emails were down for three weeks and had lost the original.
The food and the resteraunt were excellent. However Room 2 left alot to be desired. There was wallpaper coming of one wall, floors around the bed had not been vacuumed, no bedside lights and the bathroom was as dark as the Hole of Calcutta.
I finally got a reply from the hotel yesterday agreeing with alot of my comments. Aparently new owners took over in March and are working on the bedrooms and totally refurbishing them. The wallpaper problem was due to damp and this is being done in September.
I hope these changes take place as it spoils one of the nicest eating places I have been to.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank prman2
Bromsgrove
Reviewed August 9, 2010

The room itself had all the expected amenities (No glasses though) but did need a good clean and tidy up - peeling wallpaper is never a good look. No bath mat, unfilled holes where towel rail has been moved, cobwebs in the room and only one bedside cabinet were also little niggles.
On the plus side the restaurant was very good as was the food and service in there. Bed was clean and comfortable.
Needs a bit of TLC to make the room more appealing.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stourbridge
Hogarths Stone Manor
Dunsley Hall Hotel
Dunsley Hall Hotel
#1 of 1 in Kinver
Premier Inn Stourbridge Town Centre Hotel

Been to The French Hen? Share your experiences!