“Excellent value food”

Ranked #65 of 137 Restaurants in Stourbridge
Price range: $137 - $27,716
Cuisines: Gastropub
Dining options: Reservations
Description: We are no longer a family friendly pub we are the same marstons rubbish as all the others with same old microwave meals
Reviewed May 13, 2014

Wow this place has changed 25 years on from when I used to visit for a drink. Although there is still a bar area it now sports a good sized restaurant which appears capable of handling a busy Sunday.

Visited on an early Tuesday evening which, despite the time, saw the restaurant beginning to fill up. Good choice of food on the menu although as I would always say to any pub a bit more of a veggie choice is always welcomed.

Waited only around 15 minutes for main course which gave chance to sample some great ale. Food itself was excellent and I can see why this place is getting good reviews.

In total, with drinks, only paid around £15 for two which seems ridiculous value for the quality on offer.

One point if you are visiting by car is BEWARE OF THE RAMP TO THE LOWER CAR PARK. Although they have a sign warning you as you enter you don't really notice it. Hit my towbar going down but luckily no damage. Management might wish to look at lessening the angle of the slope at some future date to keep all who visit by car happy.

Reviewed April 19, 2014

We went for food tonight i had mixed grill and my husband had tikka massala the steak melted in my mouth and the gammon was amazing the food was so nice i couldnt finish it so they put it in a doggy bag to take home the chef was really nice came over to us to see if the food was ok it was better than ok loved the chips they was home made better than the local chippy and the waitress was so nice and very friendly will be eating there again and again thankyou labour in vain

Reviewed April 7, 2014

Living between Miami Beach and my apartment newly renovated in Pedmore I often enjoy cooking at home,arriving back recently for a weeks stay I was too tired the day of arrival due to delays across the Atlantic from New York to shop in Hagley.By 2pm I gathered myself together and went in search of fish and chips to find them all closed.Driving back I passed Stourbridge station and saw the sign food all day at the Labour in Vain.Quickly parking there I went inside to find it quiet at the bar apart from a couple of retired chaps drinking the local ale and was directed to their restaurant area.As it was mid afternoon I found myself alone but looked around to be seated in a cosey area with laid tables and a very interesting menu from curries to steaks,pasta to fish and chips and enough other choices to fulfil any diners needs.I chose a mixed grill and asked for extra this and extra that,it all seemed no problem,while I waited for this to arrive I indulged in a bottle of white wine and enjoyed this with my meal,it was piping hot and delicious and the best was change out of twenty quid.Top marks indeed at an unbeatable price.
The decor is clean and tidy and well presented,their staff are friendly and helpful and over the week I was home I returned there almost every day including family and friends for Sunday Lunch
Due to such a pleasant and rewarding experience I see little point in cooking myself for a stay of a week to ten days as there is no way I could buy the groceries for the prices they charge it has to be the best value for miles around,if not unbeatable by their neighbours.I cannot express how much I enjoyed the food and made new friends as well whom I look forward to seeing again in a forthcoming visit over Easter…………….Well done.

2  Thank talentpicker
Reviewed April 1, 2014

After hearing a good recommendation about the food and all the good reviews on here my friend and I decided to pop in for lunch. We were greeted my the owner (i think) Karl who was very friendly and immediately made us feel welcome. The food was amazing, I had steak and my friend had homemade crab cakes, The food was delicious and the presentation was what you would expect in a top restaurant. Cannot thing of a simple thing to complain about! Will definitely be visiting again and soon!

1  Thank Louise H
Reviewed March 15, 2014 via mobile

The last time We went to the labour in vain was October and after a particular bad experience. However we had seen that it had been taken over by new management so we decided to give it one last shot before giving up on it completely, we were greeted by the chef who was very charming young man he let us know what specials he had made so we order our drinks and meals and take a seat in restaurant the after about 15 mins out comes our mains I had a mammoth mix grill and my wife had BBQ chicken, it was well presented cooked perfect and what shocked me the most was the proper chips made out of proper potatoes not these frozen bags you get. The chef came over personally to ask if everything was ok with our meals then again the chef came to clear the plates and have a conversation with us which I think is nice and it adds the personal touch to our meal, over all fantastic meal, brilliant staff and the real ales they have are amazing some of the best ales I've had we enjoyed it that much I'm taking my mother there for Sunday lunch

1  Thank Kevin0007