“Interesting menu, great setting”

The Crown At Iverley
Ranked #30 of 136 Restaurants in Stourbridge
Cuisines: Italian, British
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: A fine dining restaurant in a comfortable & relaxing atmosphere, building on the strong classy & prestigious reputation The Crown has always had to make it smarter & more stylish than it’s ever been.We offer a lunchtime menu Tuesday- Saturday between 12pm-2.30pm. We have a Table D’hôte menu Tuesday- Friday lunchtime 12pm-2.30pm and Tuesday- Thursday evenings between 6pm-9pm.We have our Evening and A la Carte menu available Tuesday- Saturday evening between 6pm-9.30pm.Every Sunday a new menu is constructed by our head chef Craig that offers a traditional roast option from Herefordshire Beef & roast loin of Gloucestershire Pork, alongside other beautifully cooked dishes including English asparagus and pea risotto, fan fried sea bass pasta and beer battered cod & Chips.To check out what is currently on our menus, please browse our “menus” section.
Reviewed July 26, 2013

Visited last night with my niece, she is vegan and I am a pescetarian, we had a really great time. Loved the choice of wine by the glass, the free prosecco with dinner, the interesting menu, the friendly service. I'd expected it to be crowded as this place has been so popular since it re-opened - it was very busy but not heaving. Plenty of lovely fish dishes on the menu and a couple of interesting vegetarian options and when we asked for variations on these due to personal taste, it was no problem. If I didn't eat fish, I'd like to see more vegetarian options on the menu or perhaps a daily special. I'll definitely go again and recommend it.

Reviewed July 26, 2013

As a seasoned socialite and lover of great food, I thoroughly looked forward to the experience that The Crown had to offer. Having eaten there a few years ago and being very impressed, I expected a very similar evening. We were so wrong! The staff and atmosphere were lovely but to be honest that's where my praise ends!! The starter was okay and could justify the £4 for the lamb koftas which were not too bad. Taking a chance on the A La Carte menu for the main was the worst thing I could have done. It was £24 for absolutely nothing. I've been to many A La Carte restaurants and this certainly isn't one. When it arrived i was in total shock at how little you got for the price and it didnt even taste that nice!!!A small dishful full of veg for 4 of us too. Daylight robbery is what I'd call it. I only had dessert as was starving but at £8 for a thimbleful put the final nail in the coffin for me.
Our bill for 4 of us came to nearly £200 and went home hungry.
My advice is save your pennies for somewhere worthy of your money. Really shocked at how this establishment has changed from our last visit and I can categorically state I will never return......very very disappointed and now out of pocket.

Reviewed July 25, 2013

Called in on spec returning from a shopping trip at 12.15 (opening time on the door said 12.30), made very welcome and taken straight to a window table.
Food was generally good: Roasted Red Pepper and Tomato Soup, Prawn and Crayfish Salad (excellent and generous portion), Pea and Broad Bean Risotto all something we might have again, unfortunately the Mussels in a Red Thai Sauce were a bit on the small size and appeared to release a black granular material - shame, flavours were good nonetheless. A glass of house white was very good.
Service was excellent but not intrusive.
We will have to go back for Dinner one evening on the strength of this visit.

Reviewed July 15, 2013

My partner and I visited this restaurant on Saturday 13 July, and can say we couldn't find a fault with anything. The service, food, drinks and atmosphere was great and the prices are also reasonable for such a restaurant. Would definitely recommend to anyone seeking a top class meal!

Reviewed July 5, 2013

We have just returned home after what should have been a lovely evening celebrating my husbands birthday , however I have to say it was the worst dining experience we have ever encountered .I have to say the food we had was beautifully cooked and the young girls waiting on the tables were all very nice . No sooner had we been seated a table of four were seated directly behind us and the noise they were making from the word go can only be described as unbearable , half an hour on we were still unable to hear each other speak so had a quiet word with the manager / maitre d who gave us the choice of moving to another table , there were four tables of two who were , as unhappy as we were , two of whom paid their bill and left . I was so angry that the rowdy table were not asked to quieten down , we left half way through our meal . needless to say we will not be returning which is such a shame as the food was really very good ,but when you pay £85 for two courses and a bottle of wine you do expect to be able to hear yourself speak across the table . Poor management is the downfall in this otherwise lovely restaurant . Needless to say we will not be making a return visit ,

2  Thank joandchris56
Thomas J, Owner at The Crown At Iverley, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2013

We were disheartened to hear you had such a poor dining experience with us, however we do feel this review is unfair and an overreaction, and feel it only right to have our say on this.

You stated yourself the service and food was spot on, as much as we sympathise that you feel your evening was spoilt by the other customers, we are not prepared to take accountability for this. We would like to point out that it was the owner himself who was kind enough to move you, even though it was Saturday night and we were fully booked.

We would like to clarify to other readers that the statement regarding 2 other tables being un-happy with the noise is false. We had no other complaints that evening from anyone else regarding the apparent noisy table.

We would like to advise this reviewer, that if they would like a quiet meal, not to book into a small restaurant at 8pm on a Saturday night, as we cannot be held responsible for other tables enjoying themselves. The table in question were in no means being vulgar or unruly, had they been using coarse language or in any way been drunk or disorderly, management would of naturally addressed the problem without hesitation however this was simply not the case.

Management kindly responded as best they could in this situation. We believe commenting on the lovely service and high standard of food, to then state “management is the downfall” is somewhat of a contradiction and an unfair review of our “otherwise lovely restaurant.”