“service much too quick”

Cuisines: Italian, Spanish
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed August 26, 2012

Overrated because the food is not that good, had much better fish and chips elsewhere . Our main gripe was the waitress came 3 times to take the order and we were not ready, eventually we ordered but were really not ready thus ordering anything, our starters came very quickly the minute we put our knife and fork down plates were whisked away and the main course arrived, the whole meal was over and done with in 45 mins obviously to leave the table for someone else. Would definitely not return, perhaps some would but we would not

There are newer reviews for Windsor Castle Inn

Reviewed August 16, 2012

After being recomended by a friend my husband two friends and myself went to the Windsor Castle last night. First of all the car park is non exsistent may be 7 cars at a push but we did get one of these, so far so good, went inside very busy in the bar area but plenty of seats left for eating, so far so good, beer was fine waitress was lovely very polite, good choice of food, so we ordered.. Then our food arrived we had all ordered the Haddock Chips and mushy peas, first of all the peas were cold and then the fish it had absoulutly NO TASTE whatsoever and the batter inside was soggy also some of the chip were hard. When the waitress asked if everything was ok we explained our feelings about the meal and did handle the situation very well asking if there was anything else we wanted but when you have allready waited then started on something it is a bit late to start again. The thing is a meal should not come out of the kitchen like this because the meals here are quite expensive. we didnt finish all the meal so the waitress did only charge us for three of the meals but we wont be returning to The Windsor Castle. I think people think it is the place to go just because it is the in place at the moment but the food left a lot to be desired. We shall be returning to our usual place for a mid week meal a few miles away where the food is far superior and a lot less money.

3  Thank Carolyn E
Emily S, Owner at Windsor Castle Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2012

It is with regret that I see you did not enjoy your evening with us. I appreciate your feedback and would like to offer my apologies. We do unfortunatley have a fairly small car park, however for a town centre pub I have to see parking, in any form as a bonus and I am pleased you were lucky enough to find a spot the night you visited us. Our Sadler's ales beer battered fish & chips is a highly popular dish, cooked to order and we pride ourselves on using fresh ingredients and the batter contains our own Sadler's ale which adds extra flavour too. This is why I am so disappointed you did not enjoy your meals. I have spoken to my head chef regarding your complaints and he assures me of the quality of our fish and chips. There is no excuse for cold mushy peas and I am extremeley disappointed that this is what you received. I have spoken to the appropraite staff who are apologetic and assure me this will not happen again. Please give us a second chance as I feel sure you will not regret it.

Reviewed August 14, 2012

visited on Saturday night with husband and son. I am reliably informed that the selection of in house ales is second to none. The staff were really friendly just what you would expect from a Black Country Pub. The menu was imaginative and had something for everyone. The men chose scallops for starter, they were well cooked and presented, but had expected more than the three they were served. I had the clams which were very good. For main we had fillet steak, seafood linguini and lemon chicken. All were beautifully cooked and accompaniments were fresh vegetables and mashed potato, not a frozen chip in sight which is always a plus. The onion rings as a side were wonderful. Really not room for pud. but just managed a blackcurrant sorbet, son somehow ate most of a very good cheeseboard. I would recommend The Windsor Castle as one of the very few good places to eat in miles.

1  Thank lynp53
Reviewed August 12, 2012

We have been going to this pub fairly regularly because we just love their beers. Mud City Stout tastes of chocolate and is the most delicious beer I have ever tried. We regularly try other seasonal beers and monthly specials and continue to be very pleased with quality and distinctive flavours on offer. Sadler's beers also feature as guest beers in other pubs across the region and we are so pleased to see this micro-brewery becoming so successful.
We have also eaten there. The food is excellent. No wonder the place is buzzing with customers.
The only down side is the small area of the car park and the anti-social attitude of the curry house next door that threaten to clamp your car if you park in their car park by mistake. We have found a little car park just up the road on the same side as the pub which is very handy and free.

Reviewed August 10, 2012

The old nickname for Lye Waste was Mud City, and the area suffered from a notoriety that some might say is best forgotten. However, from the wasteland has arisen one of the real gems for foodies and real ale lovers, reflected in the name of one of the Windsor Castles' beers, Mud City Stout.

My wife and I have been frequent visitors to the Windsor Castle for a while. I like their own brewed beers, especially Worcester Sorcerer, and the place has consistently served good value and very tatsy pub food, the steak and ale pie a particular favourite. Having not actually visited for a few weeks, tonight's summer menu was a revelation, and it was extremely difficult to choose.

After quite a while deliberating, we both opted for the Parma ham and melon, accompanied by roast fig with a balsamic dressing and parmesan shavings to start. The presentation was first class, as good as you'd get in any up-market Italian restaurant in Birmingham, and all the flavours were clean and fresh. Having recently holidayed in Liguria, the version of Parma ham and melon we had tonight was as good as any we had over there, and actually better than some.

For our main course my partner chose monkfish tails wrapped in Parma ham with a saffron sauce, whilst I chose fillet steak with a mushroom sauce on a bed of mashed potato. Both dishes were accompanied by freshly steamed seasonal vegetables. Once again, both dishes were well cooked, and the flavours simply wonderful. If I were to offer any criticism, my steak was cooked slightly too much to be called rare, and the amount of mashed potatoes could have been reduced, but this certainly did not detract from my enjoyment of the meal.

Whilst my partner declined a sweet, I opted for the Chocolate Sponge with crème anglaise and ice cream - a rather decadent but sumptuous finish to the meal.

The Castle is a lively, bustling place with great staff, a wonderful selection of home brewed beers, and a restaurant that, on current form, is probably one of the best the Black Country has to offer, even if Lemoncello with your pudding is not exactly to everyone's taste ;). The quality of the beers brewed on-site is consistently good, and in my opinion it is about time that a really well-brewed beer as an accompaniment to a meal gets the recognition it deserves.

Go back? Absolutely, and as often as possible!

1  Thank Mezentia