“Well worth a visit”

8:00 PM
Ranked #5 of 6 Restaurants in Shere
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Delicious food, locally sourced and freshly prepared in a relaxed, friendly and cosy atmosphere; perfect for morning coffee and pastries, lunches with friends, a casual supper or special celebration. Join us for a drink! You’ll find great ales, guest beers, an excellent wine list and exciting cocktails!
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Fantastic fish and chips, great burgers and a warm welcome. The decor sets the right tone and the evening was very enjoyable. Can recommend.

2  Thank Bluebell505
JanineDubai, Owner at The William Bray, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Hi Bluebell
Thank you for the lovely feedback and recommendation. We are delighted you had such a good evening and look forward to seeing you back again soon.
Kind regards
Janine

Write a reviewReviews (45)

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Not having been back since a previous poor experience a long time ago we thought we would give the new look pub a second chance. We booked for Sunday lunch to celebrate parent birthdays. Let’s start with the good - service and ambience. Faultless. Warm welcome and speedy but polite service.
Less good- quality of food. Sunday roast was £17 a head approximately but for that you receive a slice of beef which had clearly been reheated and a mouthful of again reheated lamb. Mediocre gravy and undercooked roast potatoes. Can restaurants not make nice fluffy roasties anymore? The vegetables were al dente at best. Value for money? Nope. I feel if you’re servicing food from 12-6 then standards slip but should you be charging a premium for it? There are other local pubs and restaurants at a similar price point who just do it better. William IV - Queens Head - Drummond
We wanted to try somewhere different and paid the consequences. Such a shame. Did we complain? No. They served us the food they advertised - unfortunately the difference between expectations and reality were clearly apparent by the end of the meal. Hiding the food that is the expensive part ie the meat under a giant defrosted Yorkshire pudding speaks volumes.

2  Thank ecallaghan
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We chose to be seated in the garden and were offered drinks straight away by a very friendly hostess. Our food order consisted of a variation of burgers, fish and roast and we couldn’t fault anything! Portions were generous and all the products were fresh. The dishes had the warmth of home-made food.
Our meal was complimented by delicious desserts.
We had a pleasant dining experience and it was great to see we weren’t forgotten in the garden. We were offered regular drinks and great service.
The children can’t wait to go back and try the pizzas!

1  Thank Inspiration701592
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Shambles and Lies – see review from rosieb43 and response

I recently visited the William Bray with my wife and elderly parents who are in their 80s. We were very much looking forward to a delicious Sunday lunch and while the venue was lovely the food was a big let-down.
Despite what the management told us the food was clearly pre-cooked and reheated, while the meat was lovely, the vegetables were over cooked and the roast potatoes were frankly inedible. My wife ordered chicken supreme to only discover it was roast chicken, all this came after already been provided with the wrong menus. We were offered fresh roast potatoes’ which we declined however we were brought them anyway, these were still undercooked and unpleasant, and while the manager did try and resolve the situation the simple fact was the food was disappointing.

It is clear from the other reviews that the food can be average and overpriced and that the Sunday lunch was poor with “cardboard Yorkshire puddings”. I wish I had seen these reviews before choosing to go here ourselves.

The manager offered us free deserts which we declined as by this point we just wanted to leave. While they may consider this to be their best efforts to resolve the issue I would suggest that instead of offering free deserts they should make sure they offered good food in the first place that is fresh, hot and tasty. At the end of the meal my father who was paying the bill wanted to discuss the meal with the manager. I joined him as he is elderly and very hard of hearing. Despite the managers lies in my wifes previous review I can assure all we talked in a calm and civilised manner and suggested that instead of the free desert we were offered a discount, I am glad to say that the manager obliged, however I would have much rather have paid full price for my meal, enjoyed it and the experience.

I do not believe that paying customers should tolerate poor food.

The review my wife left was honest, open and complementary in part (like other disappointing review’s left for the William Bray) so it was very upsetting that they attacked her rather than acknowledging the issues we as customers faced.

Date of visit: August 2019
JanineDubai, Owner at The William Bray, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Dear Arc 1719, as mentioned in the response to your previous review below regarding the same meal, if you wish to discuss this further please feel to contact me at The Bray, regards, Janine

Reviewed September 12, 2019 via mobile

Super pub/restaurant in the middle of Shere. Was completely redone three months ago and the result is very good. Delicious food, tempting menu, reasonable prices and first rate service. What’s not to like! Doesn’t disgrace its sister pub, the Percy Arms in Chilworth, which we know and like a lot. The Bray is equally good.

Date of visit: September 2019

Thanks willnation! Glad you enjoyed it - see you again soon. All the best, Janine