“Hugely disappointed.”

Skipsea Sands Holiday Park - Park Resorts
St Helens, United Kingdom
“Hugely disappointed.”
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Having heard some positive remarks about the caravans at the site we decided to book a summer break at Skipsea Sands with a tent on one of their touring pitches.
Making the booking was a pleasant enough experience, even when we had to change dates, and the reception staff were friendly enough on arrival but I'd find it difficult to highlight many more positives.
The touring area was cramped, the pitches were muddy and we were placed between two halves of a large group which was poorly planned to say the least. Some of the site's guests constantly drank, swore and played loud music until the early hours - not at all ideal when you have young children. Others provided repeat performances with loud arguments thrown in. There was no kind of noise curfew which we were aware of at other sites and so for much of the week we were there, all we wanted to do was go home!
The facilities on site looked tired and in need of some serious TLC - not a patch on other holiday sites we'd stayed at. The toilet and washing facilities at the far end of the touring area where the majority of motorhomes and caravans were sited, were in a much better state than those where we were pitched. They were tatty and there appeared to be a constant leak from one of the toilets.
Buying food was hit or miss in our experience. Staffing levels were incredibly low considering we stayed during school summer holidays (this appeared to be the case in most areas). The coffee bar / takeaway was regularly closed and at one point we were left standing in the bar/restaurant with nobody in sight to serve. The shop was as expected - catered for the basics but pricey. The fish and chip shop off site just down the road was a better option than anything on site.
The children's play area was reasonable but with a fair sized duck pond next to the playground, youngsters would need to be closely supervised at all times as they could easily fall in and get into difficulty. We did pay for a few of the kids' activities but our children weren't impressed either. As we were leaving my 8 year old son said he never wanted to stay there again!
This visit was an opportunity for us to give a second chance to Park Resorts, having had a previous poor experience in one of their other sites. After this break, we've all agreed that we won't be going back to any Park site in future. We gave feedback when we got home and were even telephoned in February this year to give our views, which we did - and again expressed our disappointment. This was very cheap holiday- and we certainly felt that we got what we paid for. We will DEFINITELY NOT be going back.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
  • Polish first
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 26, 2013

We went to skipsea last year we went for a long weekend fri - mon on arrival we was given details to go to a pitch a caravan was on so we went back to reception given another pitch yes another caravan on that one, to reception again given a pitch got to it mud everywhere all the pitches were the same, the car stuck then van stuck after a couple of hrs and a lot of peoples help we had van in position and was told by everyone the sites full of travelers there ripping all grass up with there scrap trucks, next day went for breakfast in the bar knifes forks etc dirty and i mean dirty like they had never been washed, that night toilet block burnt down caravan getting pulled away from the fire all over electric off most of night as you would expect no sleep next day daughter was playing with a little traveler girl and was told by other travelers they was going to kill her chased around park, saw management on the site he told us they should of left the site by now and there was nothing they can do and hope this does not put us off visiting again no sorry or nothing we packed up came home.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank jockey0
jason d, General Manager at Skipsea Sands Holiday Park - Park Resorts, responded to this review, April 5, 2013
Hi there

Thanks for your feedback on Skipsea.

I am sorry that your holiday was not up to the standard that we strive for. Although your holiday took place nearly 12 months ago it does not change the fact that we did not achieve the high standards that alot of our regular guests give us feedback on. I understand that the issues around the touring field block burning down where unfortunate to the enjoyment of your holiday but as I'm sure you can understand where outside of our control.

I do hope that you will look at visiting again in 2013 and we can hopefully deliver a better service to you and your family.

Best wishes

Jason Denson
Sunderland, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 9, 2013

well me and my fiance daughter, 13 and son 6 had never been camping before but after my childrens first expericence at this resort, they didnt stop going on about revisiting for a while. me and my partner would prefer to spend it on a vacation abroad but as we were intrigued to find out what the kids were so appealed by we booked another trip there in october. me and my family have never had such a laugh in many years, food great, activities and entertainment day and night were excellent although quiter on a sunday if the kids are back to school the next day 'no shock' but after experiencing this we are planning to book another two trips here with the rest of the family. Absolutely AMAZING best time i have had with me family in years!

Room Tip: we have been in both a silver and a bronze both very nice depends on how much space you want
2 Thank aimeelouisexz
Hi there

Thanks for your fantastic feedback.

It makes all the hard work put in by the team worth while when customers give us positive comments.

We hope to see you and your family back soon

Best wishes

Jason Denson
Whitehaven, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 9, 2012

The caravan was clean, though tired, and was supposed to be silver-plus, so not impressed.
It's a quietish park, with ducks wandering about everywhere and, in May, there are are lots of fluffy ducklings, which the children loved.
The pool was too awful to swim in, the restaurant not good, our breakfast - which we treated ourselves to the day we checked out - was dry & overcooked, and the egg was tiny.. The (Costa) coffee was good, thankfully.
The coast is falling into the sea, so it's a long way to a safe beach..
We used the place as a base to tour round east Yorks., York, Bridlington and the Moors, and don't use the entertainment facilities, so can't comment on those.
Don't stay here - there are better parks than this - even bed & breakfast works out cheaper, which is what we'll do next time we go to Yorkshire!

Room Tip: Beware of the coastal erosion, and the bronze caravans, some smell of dogs! These sites are very poo...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank LadyHMN
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 16, 2012

Went as a family during the school holidays (yes park resort school holidays), it was halloween time so the park was bound to be busy. After a long journey we decided to TRY to get something to eat, however the bar person was currently busy cleaning toilets??? When he had finished he informed us 'I hope you dont want anything to eat as we have hardly anything left' in the end after realing a few things off the menu to be told no, no, no, and then to be told we are winding down and wont be getting anything in now and I cant believe people still holiday this time of year (seriously this was our first experience of park resorts), sorry for a minute i thought it was a family park who caters for children and it was school holidays, how wrong we were. As others have said the park is a disgrace with nothing in the shop, bar (dont ask for a drink as they wont have any) we saw guests at the eveing taking in their own drinks, in the end this is what we did its easier. We also paid for passes to be told they had also run out of these and not once were we ask by security (who I may add was the life guard in the day). I have tried to complain to park resorts even if to just get back my money for the passes that were not needed, to be told by email and a letter that they have experienced a busy summer (which was some 3 months ago) and appologise for the low stock. Dont try to complain to park resorts they ignore any emails. DO NOT HOLIDAY with this [-] company, they have no interest in the customers/children and as others have said the park is well past its sell by date, its time it collapsed in the sea like the coast around that area. I have holidayed with Haven before and will go back to them in future, and will never holiday with this company again they are a waste of time and once they have your money, they have no interest in listening to your concerns. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED STAY CLEAR OF PARK RESORTS, or if you do go away with them take your own food, drink, daily paper, milk, and entertainment oh and your own heating system as the pool heater was broken as others have said (yes we were told it wont be fixed as its the end of the season). Also avoid the bowling as others have said its on a slope and a waste of money. Wifi is non existent as others have also said, I rarely write a negative review, however Park resorts are another story. Also once you are there and forever after they text you to try to buy a caravan (are you having a laugh) however ignore any complaint you may have.

8 Thank chris B
Park R, General Manager at Skipsea Sands Holiday Park - Park Resorts, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Hello Chris, firstly I’d like to sincerely apologise for your experience at Skipsea Sands. I can assure you that this is NOT the Park Resorts ethic or the standard we strive to maintain here. We have received some comments regarding the stock over the half term period, and for this I must apologise. It does appear that we made an error of judgement and we will certainly be ensuring there is not a reoccurrence of this situation again. I was so disappointed to read your review, as it is so important to us to ensure our guest experience is a great one, no matter what time of year they visit, however it appears we have failed on this occasion and for this I apologise. As a result of your feedback I will be making some necessary improvements.
The shop on park is a concession which also runs the stock down at the end of season therefore we do attempt to inform guests on arrival where they can go to pick up essentials in the local area, or are happy to provide directions at any time.
I am concerned to hear that you feel you have been ignored when complaining to our Customer Service team and would like to investigate this further if you would like to contact me directly at the park?
Your experience is certainly not the norm for our park, which as you can see (before this week) has always scored quite highly with our guests. I can assure you that we have taken all feedback on board and I’d like to apologise again for your experience and thank you for your review.
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed November 8, 2012

the pitches where horrendous, we had to be pushed on and off the pitch.
there was rats running round the park
the childrens playpark was full of beer bottles and tin an broken glass
the swimming pool wasbroken but we weren't informed of this when we booked the day before.
the shop sold nothing and what it did sell was well over priced!! wedo alot of camping and caravaning and this was the worst site ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Hello and thank you for your review, which was disappointing to read and I must apologise that we did not live up to your expectations on this occasion. Unfortunately throughout October we have suffered with such horrible wet weather. Under these circumstances when the ground is wet we do request that all our guests do not park on the grass due to the risk of becoming stuck and due to the additional damage it can cause to the grass. It is unfortunate that the weather is out of our control. We are aware that occasionally rats can venture on to park as this is an effect of our location and at this time of year when the farmers have cut their crops they do sometimes venture towards us. We do our utmost to avoid this situation and have a contract with ECOLAB who attend our site every two weeks to control on our behalf. We also try and discourage our guests from leaving food outside their accommodation. We have had a few issues with our pool recently and have had signs up around the complex to inform guests that the pool was a little colder than usual. Unfortunately this was out of our control but will be corrected for next year and I must apologise if it was too cold for you on this occasion. We complete numerous daily litter picks around the park and so I was concerned to hear your comments about litter. As a result I have spoken to our Maintenance team to ensure these are being completed as frequently as they should be. I do hope you may return to Skipsea to allow us to reinstall your faith in our park and again I apologise for your experience on this occasion.
halifax
Reviewed November 7, 2012

Motor home so stayed on touring site. Stayed here about 5 years ago and it was lovely then... not now, dont think they have spent a penny on it since our last visit. It was half term so busy.
All staff we met were really nice from reception to security, but the site and facilitys were dreadfull,
bordering on dangerous!.
Touring site was just a muddy bog,cars and vans stuck,with staff kindly dragging them on to tarmac with a tractor. The toilets were awash with mud and showers unusable due to same with no decent mop to clean them. The site should have been closed down, but the management must have thought money more important than customer safety.
No security barrier, so we had idiots from who knows where racing around the vans , pity they did not get stuck in the mud or end up in duck pond.
Heated swimming pool...... not.!
Entertainment ?......no... must have missed that...unless it you count the ducks,or security chasing the idiots. No heating in entertainment room so no one there.
Shop..... looked like it had been looted or was closed.
Food....Sportsman Bar...no heating....sat with coat on eating tepid, badly cooked food at dirty tables, floor covered in dropped food and rubbish.
20 min walk to beach due to coastal erosion.
Yes it was near end of season, but people had paid money for a holiday ( half term) and it was not good enough.
This is the worst site we have ever stayed on ever !I score 1 for the poor staff who have work there.

Room Tip: go to another site.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank leohalifax
Thank you for your kind comments regarding our staff which I will pass on. I must apologise that on this occasion we have failed to meet the high standards that we always strive to achieve. There has been an awful lot of rainfall this year and our touring area has suffered massively. As a result of our experiences from the heavy rainfall and as a result of feedback we have received, we will be looking at improving our touring area for next year.

I am very concerned to hear that you believed the site not to be safe. We do have a dedicated Personal Safety Officer on park who ensures that all our facilities adhere to Health & Safety standards. If you would like to contact me directly on park, I’d be very interested to discuss your concerns. We do have an entrance barrier that operates over the winter period only, as we do pride ourselves in being a family friendly park and have not required security barriers previously. We did run a full entertainment program with times and details provided to guests in their ‘Welcome Pack’ which is given to guests on arrival together with their key. Entertainment runs from 9am in the morning until 11pm at night and I can assure that guests were in attendance throughout, so I am so sorry if you did not see the schedule. The Park shop is a concession however we are aware, and concerned that the stock was low and have raised this with the concession owners to ensure improvements are made. Unfortunately we have had a problem with our pool, which I must apologise for as it was running at a colder temperature than usual. This will be corrected for next year. We do state in our Brochure and on our website that the nearest beach is Ulrome which is 15 minutes away. Unfortunately our beach access that once was, has now eroded due to natural coastal erosion and the council has had to close the road off. Thank you again for your review.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Skipsea
Monarch Hotel
#6 of 29 in Bridlington
Beachside B&B
Beachside B&B
#1 of 8 in Hornsea

Been to Skipsea Sands Holiday Park - Park Resorts? Share your experiences!