“Ideal Midsummer Stay”

White Hart Hotel
Colchester, England, United Kingdom
“Ideal Midsummer Stay”
Reviewed July 31, 2014

Stayed for just the one night with my wife (room 7 with a 4 poster bed - we are both 72 - what a treat !!) only disappointment for us was a rather lack lustre evening menu - also we thought that portions were small, service though was fine - everything else including breakfast 1st class - friendly and helpful staff through-out incl. bar area - I'm sure we could recommend Hotel

Room Tip: if you want a four poster bed , then room 7 will provide this and is a very quiet and comfortable r...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (178)
Wallingford, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 29, 2014 via mobile

So glad I did not read the June review before my visit. I treated my friend and myself to afternoon tea and we had a wonderful experience. We were greeted and served by a lovely attentive girl. We had a glass of champagne and a wonderful cream tea, sandwiches and selection of cakes. I would definitely recommend The White Hart in Dorchester.

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank LynnandCharles
Oxfordshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 28, 2014

Saturday afternoon I took a friend for a birthday treat to have a Champagne Tea and I used an Amazon Voucher. Service was ok we were greeted eventually with a smile from the bar staff and the tea, when it arrived, was perfectly ok, as advertised and although it would have been nice to actually of had a choice for sandwiches, whether brown or white bread etc we thought it seemed adequate, nicely presented and freshly made until another 2 ladies sat down at the next table and also had a Champagne Tea, well now that was a tea - same 3 tier presentation but far more for their money! They obviously hadn't purchased theirs with a voucher. Our double take when it arrived at their table was priceless but extremely embarrassing for me. On checking your Tea Menu it would appear that there is only 1 Champagne Tea advertised but there must be something in the small print about having an inferior Tea if purchased with a voucher! Their Tea had more sandwiches and made with brown bread with garnish, they also had 2 scones each plus the selection of cake were bigger pieces .
Surely this can not be right as there was no mention when purchasing the voucher via Amazon that the offer was a 'Special Voucher Champagne Tea and that it may differ from the Main Menu.

Would definately not recommend taking someone there for a treat with or without a voucher!

4 Thank Daisydoodles34
Nigeloddy, Owner at White Hart Hotel, responded to this review, August 4, 2014
I'm delighted you enjoyed your afternoon tea with us - Sean Harris, General Manager informs me thst we served 5 Champagne Teas that day - all were to customers with vouchers and all teas were identical.
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 27, 2014

We stayed here for three nights and were joined by two other couples for two of those nights.
We had excellent service without exception from every single member of staff who worked very hard to provide a very memorable break.This hotel dates from 1691 so has plenty of character and is a world away from plastic box type places that are all identical.
We stayed on a package which was very good value and encouraged us to spend plenty on extra food and drink which was priced at a very fair level.
The owners of this hotel should be very proud of their staff who make this place EXTRA SPECIAL

1 Thank david r
Dorchester-on-Thames, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 27, 2014

We're fans of Midsomer Murders an this hotel is part of the Series. My colleague of work an me stay for about 3 nights. We share a twin room. The room was large enough and clean. The typical english breakfast was good. The Pub an the other rooms of the restaurants are comfortable with 4 or 5 inglenooks. The hotel is recommended an we're coming back...

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Marlow, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 25, 2014

We have eaten lunch here several times over the past few years and whilst it has never been outstanding, it was predictable and the better side of average. Clearly something has changed for the worse: we met some friends for lunch on a Tuesday, which is clearly not a busy day. The menu was uninspired – there wasn’t a simple salad on offer (despite several weeks of hot weather). The waiting staff were friendly enough, but woefully inattentive – we had to get up and ask several times for various items they had forgotten, and the bill was incorrect.

I opted for a brie, cranberry and rocket sandwich – I know I should have complained at the time, but I was too hungry – the bread was stale, the brie had been killed off by over-chilling and was solid, there was a single blob of cranberry in the middle (but not spread around) and I think there might have been one or two rocket leaves. The accompanying crisps were artificially flavoured and left a foul taste behind.
Our friends had ciabatta, but they looked like heavily singed bread rolls to me.

This is a shame because we usually would return after a walk for afternoon refreshments, but we couldn’t face it and went elsewhere.

Hopefully the management will take steps to improve matters. If they do, could they also apply some imagination to their snack menus – maybe offer a sharing platter with some decent bread, some ripe cheese, some tasty ham and some salad items too? If Pret a Manger can produce fresh sandwiches, with a good range of fillings, at a decent price then why can’t the White Hart, especially when they charge much more?

1 Thank 126Martin
Nigeloddy, Owner at White Hart Hotel, responded to this review, July 28, 2014
I am truly saddened that we did not deliver a great experience for you last Tuesday lunch.

We have reviewed the situation and all your very valid points have been addressed.

Our new offering for lunch time now includes four delicious salads and lighter options

Regarding the sandwiches after investigation these were poorly made, may I say the temporary chef covering our permanent chef’s holidays is no longer with us!

We do hope that you would rejoin us in the future and enjoy the visit as you have in the past.
England
Reviewed July 24, 2014

Stayed for one night with my wife in a small, fairly basic, and (importantly for my wife) very warm room. There are two open fires in the bar/lounge/eating area, with flagstone floors. The staff were very friendly, and when I rang up after our stay to say my wife had left her shoes, they sent them first class at their own expense. So, given that we were in late, out early, and only had coffee - they did as much as they possibly could to help us. Would stay there again if visiting Dorchester!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dorchester-on-Thames
De Vere Oxford Thames
#1 of 1 in Shillingford
Deddington Arms Hotel
Deddington Arms Hotel
#1 of 1 in Deddington

Been to White Hart Hotel? Share your experiences!