“Surly Service and Mediocre Food”
Review of The Kings Arms

The Kings Arms
Ranked #2 of 6 Restaurants in Askrigg
Cuisines: British
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Surly Service and Mediocre Food”
Reviewed December 2, 2013

Booked a table via email to eat here on Saturday night at 8:00. I arrived and ordered some pre-meal drinks from the bar man and said I’d booked a table under the name of Mark. He asked me what name it was booked under and assuming he hadn’t heard me I repeated my name. So he asked me again what name it was booked under and I said my name again. At this point he told me there was no table booked under that name, so just as I was about to show him the email on my phone he asked if I was Mark Cain. Bingo, that was me. Clearly he objected to me not following some kind of unwritten protocol by providing my surname only…the place was not busy, I doubt whether there were a plethora of other Marks booked in at 8:00. Bad attitude and a bad start to the meal. I didn’t feel the need to continue to argue with this character as alternatives in Askrigg that night were not suitable and my partner and I had been looking forward to eating here.

However, the food was not great either. The scallop and black pudding starter was fine as was my steak and ale pie. The mash was bland however and my partner’s plaice was a less than generous portion and riddled with bones. Worst of all the accompanying prawns were so overcooked and hard you could bounce them off the wall (which was about all they were good for). We might have told someone we were disappointed with the food but at no point did anyone ask.

A nice pub, but less than average food and a surly, tedious bar man. Won’t be going back.

• Visited November 2013
2 Thank MPC1972

Keswick, United Kingdom
“Good food, well cooked.”
Reviewed November 21, 2013

Just a hop skip and jump off the M6 and you are into another world. Burton has a quaint olde world feel about it and the King's Arms fits nicely into this genre. The food is well cooked, locally sourced and presented well. Good value for money in a friendly atmosphere, definately give it a try if you happen to be staying at the nearby Travelodge.

• Visited November 2013
Sheffield, England, United Kingdom
“Poor Service”
Reviewed November 11, 2013

The manageress, whilst waiting tables herself, just looked like she did not want to be there. It created such a bad atmosphere, me and my husband both felt uncomfortable. Another lady in her 40's with glasses, took that long to take our dessert order that we actually couldn't be bothered in the end. Not to mention she seemed to dawdle. I have never went to a restaurant, and been served by people who you could tell didn't want to serve you.

The Food, I ordered the soup, and hadn't realised that it was pork, and sickly sweet. Date, ginger and pork, I was told it was. he most horrid thing I have ever put in my mouth. The lamb shank was slightly overcooked, and I could see gravy granules in my gravy. The mashed potato, was overcooked and watery, the texture was quite powdery.

As a whole I am very, very disappointed.

• Visited October 2013
mid england
“Average and overpriced”
Reviewed October 23, 2013

'Pub food at restaurant prices' sums up our experience. There are a few nice touches in the presentation but that does not cover up the lack skill or care in the kitchen. The menu is dull and the service much of the 'what do you want ,here it is' variety.
Pity, because the building , village setting and the bar are outstanding, The restaurant itself is a feature less room -no atmosphere at all. Unfortunately The Kings Arms is expensive for pub food and below standard for restaurant food.
If you are looking for something more than a pie and a pint there is much better on offer nearby.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank soprano4
Ipswich, United Kingdom
“Friendly and good value food.”
Reviewed October 22, 2013

Good, local real ale, with much better than the usual pub grub in sensible helpings at sensible prices. Quick and efficient service.

Visited October 2013