“A great location for Hadrian's wall walk”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Haltwhistle
Burnhead Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #10 of 14 Haltwhistle B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 18, 2010

We stayed here for one night whilst walking Hadrian's wall. It is located on the wall so perfect - you don't waste anytime walking back to the wall. We were given a very warm welcome - cake and tea included! The room - a twin was adequate, although not spacious. The bathroom was very clean but again small. The bathroom didn't have a radiator, so was a little bit cold. The room was really warm though. The B and B is a short walk away from the Milecastle Inn - great food. Breakfast was good - plenty of cereal choice. I would definately stay here if you are planning a walk along the wall.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed October 3, 2010

We stayed here for a night while hiking the Hadrian's Wall trail. Burnhead is in a great location -- it's located on the west side of the crags that define the central section of the trail; it's right off the trail itself; and it's about a ten minute walk away from a nice little pub that serves great food and keeps a couple of Real Ales.

David and Christine are excellent hosts -- extremely friendly and helpful. They also make a very good breakfast in the morning.

I believe that both of their rooms contain twin beds, and this is really the only thing that kept Burnhead from being an absolutely perfect place to stay.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 10, 2010

We were walking Hadrian's Wall trail, and after a long days walk (second night from Carlisle) we reached the B&B and were greater by the very friendly owners (Christine and David). It was also at a good timing as the it was getting colder and we were tired from the walk which included a lot of mud and some rain. The room was very good, had everything in it, spacious too. With fresh cakes and cookies, it was well worth the price. Nice cozy pub down the road. The also helped us plan the next days route.

to summaries: highly recommended.

Oded

Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 21, 2010

Overall, this B&B was perfect for what we needed: reasonably priced, near some notable visitor attractions and a bus stop, close to an eating establishment, about half-way along the Hadrian’s Wall walk, and right off the trail (see photos). The hosts were incredibly friendly, accommodating, and did everything within their power to ensure we had a pleasant stay. The room was well stocked both days with tea, coffee, biscuits, and homemade ginger cake. Breakfast was plentiful and offered something for everyone. The en-suite bathroom was a bit small, but it was sufficient. Overall, the room was clean, comfortable, and quiet.

We spent an extra day at this location to give ourselves a break from the walking and to see some of the local attractions, which included Vindolanda, Twice Brewed Inn, and the Roman Army Museum.

The Milecastle Inn served up numerous tasty selections for drinking, dinner, and dessert. The food and pints were quite good. When we had our fill, we made the short 10 minute walk (mind you we were going quite slow by this time due to the blisters on D’s feet) back to the B&B. We enjoyed the cozy atmosphere, drinks, and food so much that we returned there the second night too.

We definitely recommend the Burnhead B&B as “the place to stay”.

For more on our travels, see our website: http://www.jndstravelog.com/

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 13, 2009

I stayed at Burnhead B&B in May 2008, and I can't say enough good things about my time there. It's one of those B&Bs that enhances your entire experience of a locale, and it is THE place to stay if you want to hike one of the most beautiful stretches of Hadrian's Wall.

The hospitality and warmth of the owners, David and Christine, far exceeded my expectations and that of any other B&B I stayed at during my trip. You instantly feel "at home" at Burnhead. They can answer any questions you have about the area, and will offer great advice on what to see and do. Also, there is no premium charge for single travelers, which I found very refreshing as someone traveling through Britain on my own.

I thought staying at a B&B a few miles out of town would be a bit iffy because I didn't have a car, but I was never inconvenienced. David & Christine drove me to and from the train station. The Milecastle Inn, a half a mile down the road, serves incredible meals at dinnertime. The Milecastle also serves as the bus stop for the AD 122 bus, which parallels the wall and runs between Carlisle and Newcastle. Christine packed me lunches every day (for a small charge), so I didn't need to go into town at all.

If I had known my stay at Burnhead was going to be so enjoyable, I would have planned to stay there longer (or maybe just moved in for good!). The beds were comfortable, the setting was peaceful, scenic and very quiet, and the breakfasts were delicious! I would not hesitate to recommend Burnhead to anyone wanting to explore Hadrian's Wall.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled solo
Reviewed July 11, 2009

I have just spent two nights at Burnhead B&B and I am happy to say I enjoyed every minute there. Not only is the location perfect (it really is on Hadrian's Wall !) with the Wall beside you, excellent walks, peace and wide views of the rolling hills and far Pennines; but the accomodation is very nicely done and the hosts are just what hosts should be, friendly, helpful and welcoming. The rooms are nice with lovely views and breakfast was just right.
I would and will be back again, to explore the local area and to experience B&B as it should be !

• Stayed: July 2009
Reviewed June 28, 2009

Fabulous location 3 miles away from the closest village. Very beautiful and peaceful setting where all you hear are the birds singing and the sheep baaing. 10 minute walk from a lovely 17th century pub which served great food. Owners of Burnhead are very welcoming and the home is clean and comfortable. Highlight of my trip.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled solo