“definitely not value for money”

The Mansion House Hotel
Ranked #2 of 7 Holbeach B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 16, 2012

Originally my friend and I were booked in at The String of Horses which I undrstand is owned by the proprietor of the Mansion House, but very fortunately we were informed that we had been transferred to the Mansion House. The String of Horses was the most miserable looking dump of a bar that I have ever seen. I wasn't particularly impressed by the Mansion House either; the public parts were grim and depressing and looked unloved with two empty front rooms that would have made nice sitting and dining rooms. There was no-one to greet us at reception and I had to find the potboy to ask if we might check in. After hanging about for 10 minutes, a girl appeared who knew nothing about our booking. It was chaotic. To be fair, our room was spacious, light and clean and we had a good night's sleep. Breakfast was OK but for £90 our stay did not represent good value; £70 would have been about right. The whole place just screamed 'going downhill fast' and I wouldn't be surprised if within a year or so it closed.I wouldn't stay here again - the Granary in Long Sutton is far superior, better managed and a lot cheaper.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank David R
rickerby3, Owner at The Mansion House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 10, 2012

Thank you for your review, but I feel there are several points I need to be respond to.
Firstly we do own both the String of Horses and the Mansion House. The String of Horses is not, in our opinion a "miserable looking dump of a bar". It is a public house with a good standard of accommodation and a bar that due to local trade, is only open on Friday and Saturday evenings.
The Mansion House is also, in our opinion not "grim and depressing" and certainly not unloved.
We have many guests who return to us week in week out, who love our cozy cellar bar and our relaxed informal, home from home environment. I apologise if your check in was not as smooth as it could have been.
It is unfortunate that our two front formal rooms, which were originally used as restuarants are no longer required in that format, and agree that they are not the most attractive of rooms to be greeted by as you come in the front entrance. However as the use of this hotel is very much led by our guests, and as previously stated all of our residents like to eat in the cellar bar downstairs, they are used as meeting rooms for local business and for an indoor market on Thursdays. We are intending to convert the front rooms into a bar and further area of resident lounge. However as we are a small family run business and we have been extremely busy over the last 6 months we simply have not had enough time to do all the updates we would like.

Which leads me to my last point........ I find your comments related to "going downhill fast" and "wouldn't be surprised if within a year or so it is closed" almost slanderous and actually quite hurtful. Unless you have run a business of your own you have no idea what it takes.
I can assure you that after the last 4 years of economic down turn and infact being one of the busier hotels in the area with a great deal of return trade we are pleased with what we have acheived so far, always looking to develop further and improve in areas needed.
We apologise as you most obviously did not enjoy your stay but it is unfortunate that you did not make us aware of your feelings at the time.

Reviewed June 21, 2012

After a bad experience with another hotel in town I checked into The Mansion House. The room was fine and food was very good. The contrast in level of service was astonishing. These people know their stuff and will look after you. Will come again.

Room Tip: A bit querky, but great service.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business

Thank you for your review. We are glad you enjoyed your stay.

Reviewed June 18, 2012

Stayed a Friday and Saturday whilst visiting family in the area. On arrival I enquired as to what time the bistro opened and was informed that it would not be open on the Friday evening due to the owners going out. This wasn't a problem for us, we ate elsewhere but if you plan to eat here you may want to check that it will be open when making your booking. The room was clean with tea/coffee making facilities and the bed and pillows were comfortable. The shower cubicle was in the bedroom with a small ensuite room for the toilet and small basin, the bathroom could do with a fresh coat of paint. The shower was powerful with plenty of hot water. This building is very old and obviously they have to fit in the ensuite facilities where they can. We only ate here for breakfast and that was excellent. There was a choice of cereals, fruit juices, yoghurt, fruit, pasteries, then a cooked breakfast freshly cooked to order by Richard.

Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed June 7, 2012

We have been travelling down the East coast and there are not a lot of hotels along that coast so we found this one inshore a little. At least 2 others in the town were closed and gone. The owners here are very nice and the room was modern but the sink was in the bedroom as there was no room in the actual bathroom, which we were not keen on. However, it was all clean and spacious. We had to wait a long while for our meals but the food was lovely when it came so must have been made from scratch. We didn't book breakfast as needed to get a move on in the morning. Overall it was an ok hotel to spend a night or two in.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 29, 2012

If you want something different stay here! The front could do with a lick of paint but its not all about bricks and mortar its the people who run the place. We were just staying one night B&B and arrived in the rain couldn't get in the front - not a great start - went around the back (as intructed by a small notice) to one of the cottages knocked on the door and we were greeted with a great big smile and warm welcome (no Basil Fawlty here). Taken into the hotel the back way down concrete stairs then up again - started to wonder what we booked - but the accommodation was spacious with a decent TV and the staff were brilliant. A good night's sleep and an excellent breakfast. Don't expect 5 star accommodation just 5 star service!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your review. You sum up the character of our feature filled hotel. As you state an old building converted into a hotel, conversions restricted by conservation make for a challenge but we hope that we have made the best of the fabric of the building. Thank you once again.

Reviewed February 26, 2012

You are looking for a sterile, corporate, chain accommodation
This is a querky hotel but it is a gem of a place, maybe not to everyone's liking but it is clean and friendly with the best meals ever
I am vegetarian and on one night Richard made me a filo pastry veg pie --- never tasted anything like it Yes I had to wait but sat in the bar and chatted to other travellers I will certainly be back

Room Tip: We were upgraded on arrival and stayed in one of the cottages at the back very nice --- it's a p...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank pauline77_12
Reviewed January 16, 2012

I am not surprised at some of the reviews on here as some people are never happy and go out of their way not to enjoy themselves, if you want 5 star accommodation go stay at the Hyatt or a similar chain of hotels, yes the rooms are immaculate the service is perfect but the rooms are exactly the same the world over, there is no character and all they want is your cash.

The Mansion House is a little more bohemian, I am 6'2" and yes a couple of the rooms are a little 'cosy' but this house was built over 400 hundred years ago and so the corners aren't as polished as your corporate chains. It is also covered by building regulations as a graded building, and as such is limited to what the owner can and cannot do, so yes the saniflo toilets are a little noisy and yes there are certain things that you can and cannot flush away but this is not the owners fault they have their hands tied. (Also being in the fens a lot of establishments have this type of toilet due to poor sewage system in the area, you are only a few feet off sea level most of time (its called the law of gravity)) The up keep of old buildings is bad enough without being used as a hotel, Richard and his family and staff do a wonderful job keeping the rooms serviced and clean everyday.

The family and staff are very accommodating and there is nothing they will not do for you. The food is some of the best I have tasted, I have travelled widely and the food is equal to any that you would get in some of the best restaurants in London. In Europe they have something called 'slow service' the food is not mass produced and is cooked freshly by hand. If you want a maccy d's and served in 30 seconds go to the A16 services. If you want freshly cooked food sit tight talk to people and relax. Richard is a very competent chef and will cook 'off menu' if requested.

The was a lack of staff when I got there and another guest said it was an honesty bar if no one is around just let the staff know what you have had.

I have stayed there for 3 weeks and I am glad I am not staying at Travel Lodge or any of the other soulless pits of despair that the corporate chains dare to call hotels.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Holbeach
Supreme Inns
#1 of 7 in Holbeach
Whaplode Manor
Whaplode Manor
#4 of 7 in Holbeach

Been to The Mansion House Hotel? Share your experiences!