“A fantastic day spent at The Anglesey Hotel!”
Review of The Anglesey Hotel

The Anglesey Hotel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Gosport
Reviewed April 17, 2013

A big 'Thank You' to everyone at the Anglesey Hotel! we were a party of sixteen gathering to celebrate a very special birthday on Sunday 14th April. Ray and all the staff...who were young but very attentive and kind, especially to the eight children we had with us! The atmosphere of the whole day was relaxed, nothing to much trouble, yet very efficient and professional. The food was plentiful and to an excellent standard - as one would expect from such a great hotel which has been established for so many years. So 'Thank you' once again and we will definitely be back!!!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank breezeboy24

Reviewed April 13, 2013 via mobile

Is £85 expensive for a Bath crescent style hotel? Of course not, except Sony let the exterior fool you.
Very unclean and run by kids who are more interested in rabbiting to locals in the bar than residents.
A perfect location for Alex Polizzi(Hotel Inspector) to rip into.
Shoddy, with a 4 star exterior shaping up as a low end 2 star.
Worth £50 a night at best. Avoid at all costs until the correct investment has been made

• Stayed: April 2013
raybezani, Owner at The Anglesey Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2013

It would appear that you did not have a very good week! however, I am sorry that I was not allowed to correct any misunderstanding or shortcomings that you may have incurred and find it sad that such a virulent report should be written without any comment during the stay. The report states very unclean but is not specific yet other reviewers have shown photos of our bedrooms and bathrooms! I would request that you enlighten me under a separate cover. I do have to admit that our entrance and hallways are awaiting refurbishment and that they do let us down, however, I have within the last 2 years added 8 new bedrooms, installed a lift to five levels, refurbished the restuarant and built a carpark so there does not appear to be any lack of investment from my point of view. My staff feel very honoured that you should consider them "a bunch of kids" Barmaid 65, Receptionist 50+, Manager 50, Breakfast Cook 50+, Cleaners both over 40 Head chef 37, Chef 30, bottle and bin man 80, 3 staff recently finished university all with degrees, 2 staff 22 & 18 undergoing NVQ training and a formal Apprentice Chef. We have been assessed and awarded the Investors in People Award twice and hold a 5 star Environmental Award. I am sorry you feel so bad about them but I am very proud of my staff. You make comment that we look like we are going out of business; in my 20+ years in the industry in Gosport every hotel apart from the one that I currently owned has either closed or gone into receivership, indeed I purchased this from the Liquidator. I would be delighted if Alex were to visit the Anglesey Hotel that way somebody else would foot the bill for the renovations apart from which her own family do not seem to have done quite so well since the passing of her Grandfather.

Reviewed March 22, 2013

We spent the night here, when our central heating at home was down and we had had no heat for 36 hours, looking for a warm environment, which we found. Our room was small but adequate. It was also warm despite the storm raging outside and no double glazing (difficult to achieve with the tiny panes of glass). The solution was really good curtains which I would always recommend to anyone with draught problems. Parking was a problem as the hotel was full of diners who seemed to be enjoying the food. We did not eat as we had dined at home. A comfortable night was followed by breakfast: cereals, fruit juice, tea or coffee and something cooked plus toast. Why toast seems nowadays to be served everywhere with, or slightly before, the cooked breakfast I cannot understand since it is always cold when one is ready to eat it. My kipper fillets were a pleasure and the full English satisfied my husband. People new to the UK will quickly learn that the term "full English" is hard to define and varies from establishment to establishment but is based in an egg, bacon and a sausage (usually fried) with the addition of some vegetables, possibly tomatoes, baked beans and or mushrooms and something with potatoes in (fried bread seems to have vanished though it was served in days gone by having been fried in the bacon fat.) It will certainly keep you going all day. The hotel prides itself on carefully sourcing the food that it cooks and we are very happy with that assertion.The hotel is located a short walk from our wide, open shingle beach (where Mulberrys were built during the war). Locals love the beach and in fine weather the promenade is full of walkers and the wide grass beyond is superb for kite flying and much frequented by dog walkers. We also like the fact that it has no penny arcades or funfairs, hot dog stalls or candy floss. However the hotel is not really good for visitors to Portsmouth as, if you use a car, the drive around the harbour is long and prone to traffic jams. There is a bus service to the ferry but it is not overly frequent. The walk to the ferry or the submarine museum is easy but includes a tedious promenade beside the wall of what was the RN Hospital Haslar (an establishment of great historic interest but not open to visitors and being converted to rather expensive homes located right by the shore). The staff in the hotel were friendly and helpful and, once the diners had left, the bar became a quiet haven with an attentive and cheerful barmaid. A nice quiet hotel for business people or a couple looking for nothing to do.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank C C
Reviewed February 24, 2013

ive now stayed here on a few occasions and always get looked after very nicely. on this occasion i could not get the normal room and was given a excecative room and was very pleased with it indeed. the bar is very good and excellent food both in the evening and also the breakfast. as i usually arrive by taxi i cant really comment on parking. there are lovely sea walks nearby and a local park

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank telfordtrucker
Reviewed January 27, 2013

Myself and my new wife stayed in the Anglesey for two nights starting on our wedding night. We also had various other family members staying at the hotel for the entirety of the weekend so that they could attend our wedding.

Having spoken to the hotel early we were pleased when we were assured that our party would get first refusal on the rooms for two weeks. This worked well and most people booked up. Myself and my wife had booked the large superior room at the rear of the property for our wedding night (Friday) and were then convinced by the hotel to book for a second night (Saturday), which we agreed. This was all then documented in the hotels book where we clearly saw all the names marked in.

On arrival at the hotel on our wedding evening we found ourselves in another room at the front of the property. Nice as it was it was not the room we had booked and after we had a word we were moved to the original room.

The problems started the next morning when we were told that the room had been double booked on the Saturday night for another wedding and would we mind moving. Not wanting to spoil another bride’s big day we moved to the other room for that night. However the excuse given that we had not booked well enough in advance, after the other party and via the new computer system (not the book as I remember) did not sit well.

We also had problems when it came to settling the bill for our photographer. We were to settle the bill for her ourselves when we checked out but staff continually asked other members of our party to pay for her even though we clear stated our intentions.

Aside from them problems the rooms are more than adequate and the superior room in particular was excellent. The food, as always was excellent and plentiful and our guests could not speak highly enough of that.

Overall I’d love to stay there again however they would have to sort out the admin side of the hotel, hence the 3 stars. I dread to think what would have happened if we had got married on the Saturday!

Stayed Sep 2012

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank borogeordie
raybezani, Manager at The Anglesey Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 7, 2013

Thank you very much for taking time to write such an exacting report. Yours was the nightmare that every hotelier or manager doesn't want. As you so rightly pointed out we had just changed from reservation book to a computer management system, where every future booking had to be moved from book to computer. This is something we had dicided against for many years but having increased the size of the hotel the books were no longer large enough. I would like to assure you that we are over our teething problems and now manage our booking system with the professionalism that should be expected.
Thank you for your other very positive comments and I apologize for the misunderstanding of my staff over the payment of your photographers room. If you would like to return to stay in our Premier Room then please call quoting this letter and you will receive a heavily discounted rate.

Ruth

Hotel Manager

Reviewed December 17, 2012

stayed here for 3 nights , good location for hms sultan, room 303 was a bit overpriced for what was classed as execitive room but was warm and plenty of hot water no problem parking all the staff were wonderful apart from the owner who barely nodded to us, great bar and friendly locals .resturant very good food , breakfast very good too

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank podge54

Thank you very much for taking the time to write such a lovely report about our hotel. We really enjoy hearing that people have enjoyed their time when staying with us and I am please you took time and advantage to enjoy our unspoilt Bay and beach. Hopefully you will return one day.

Reviewed December 12, 2012

I have stayed here on numerous occasions when I needed to work in the area and have never been disappointed. The staff are helpful and friendly the rooms are cosy and clean and the beds are extremely comfortable. Added to this the food in the restaurant and the bar is always very good quality. In the winter I was lovely and warm and in the summer I enjoyed waking up to the lovely views. My only disappointment is that my work in the area is finished, I travel frequently and this is one of my favourite places to stay.

Room Tip: The top floor is best and if you are lucky enough to get a room at the front corner the views are gr...