“Great”

The New Bengal
Ranked #4 of 173 Restaurants in Gosport
Cuisines: Indian, Bangladeshi
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Experience the very best of both modern and traditional Indian cuisine from some of the great regions of the sub-continent. Served in a vibrant contemporary atmosphere by prompt, efficient and friendly staff.
Gosport, United Kingdom
“Great”
Reviewed October 22, 2013

The food is amazing every visit. I like the choice of food, they will even tailor food to your taste.I feel like a member of the family when I visit.

Visited October 2013
1 Thank Phyllis T

Gosport
“Always a good meal”
Reviewed October 20, 2013

Great staff , great food choice curry's are great and been never disappointed !! The menu suits all our families choices
Used by local and newbees alike...our Indian resturant of choice in Gospost !

Visited October 2013
1 Thank Kate R
hampshire
“Mick P”
Reviewed October 6, 2013

One of the best Indians in the area (at least the ones I have visited).Can't understand how anyone could give this a bad review.Must be professional complainers! The food was exquisite and a varied selection,staff were friendly,restaraunt was spotless and service was good but slightly slow.Not too bothered about this as when you're in good company you don't tend to notice minor things.Can't wait to go there again for our next family celebration!

• Visited October 2013
3 Thank mickmaur
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“Lack of warmth and then lack of service.”
Reviewed October 4, 2013

I have been to the New Bengal plenty of times, over the past four years, for a couple night out and as part of a large group. I have been able to praise this place highly on nearly every occasion. It is now 7th, instead of 1st restaurant on Trip Advisor. There's good reason for this drop.
This was my experience tonight.
Booked a table for two, by phone this afternoon, for 6pm. Arrived at 5.55pm and was greeted by an unsmiling waiter. I gave our name and that it was a table for two. 'Wait, please.' Much shuffling of pages and then conveyed to a table for four, even though that meant passing a table for two - but, OK.
Then the waiter proceeded to ask immediately,,'what would you like to drink?' and, 'do you want poppadums?' whilst reaching past us, overarm, to take the spare cutlery from the far side of the table.
We just wanted to browse the menu in peace and asked him to come back in a minute.
The drinks and poppadums, that we then agreed to have, duly arrived - and then we waited. Waited. The phone was being answered and orders taken, but the table customers were left waiting.
It was all of 15 minutes later that we signalled to the waiter to come back so that we could order, please. He came over and said,
'wait a minute' ...(!)
We waited a couple of minutes and then I went up to the counter to ask that we be billed for what we had had. We were not prepared to be disregarded in favour of phone takeaway ordering.
When I walked back to our table, the older waiter had reached our table, so we said, ' too long waiting, we aren't going to order.'
He said, 'no problem.'
I said, 'well, it is a problem - we were told by the waiter to wait a minute, which I don't think is right.'
He said, 'well, I take the orders, he doesn't take the orders.'
So, the man who takes the orders on the phone is the same one who takes the orders at the table.
He tried to excuse himself, 'we are very busy tonight' - the restaurant at 6pm was barely half full.
What are they going to do when it fills up and the phone is ringing off the hook?
The first waiter seemed to be very new, but, hell, train him up when it's not Friday night. Let all the waiters take orders. Smile at the customers. Leave the spare cutlery on the table, I will not be taking it home. Favour your restaurant sit-down customers over your take-away ones.
Use some charm, when a customer with a booking feels they have waited too long.
You have lost this customer.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank Pam G
Gosport, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“SHOCKING”
Reviewed September 21, 2013

I decided one evening not to use my regular curry house and try something different. What a load of rubbish. 1 out of 4 curries didn't turn up with delivery, chips were burnt black and with no potato on the inside (dry to the bone), chicken in another curry still had blood / red meat within the centre. On contacting the restaurant about the order they become confrontational and imposed that we were lying. They agreed to then send out new chips and the curry that didn't turn up for an extra fee and once the second lot turned up 20 mins later, sadly the second lot of chips were also the same as the first and the curry that was sent wasn't the best. Overall very disappointed so much so that we had to do this review as customer service was terrible and health and safety due to the food may be lacking, so if you use this place CHECK YOUR FOOD!!!!!

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank Luke S
MacS876, Manager at The New Bengal, responded to this review, September 22, 2013
Dear Diner,

Thank you for ordering from The New Bengal. We always appreciate genuine feedback as it gives us the opportunity to address concerns and improve on the service we offer. However, I am genuinely shocked at some of the comments in your review. I recall this occasion very clearly as, thankfully, we do not receive many complaints for our takeaway service. We do not usually respond directly to reviews but felt compelled to do so on this occasion.

I accept that you felt unhappy with the quality of the chips and apologised immediately. I also accept that one of the dishes you received was not the one you wanted to order. Unfortunately, when you placed the order you mis-pronounced the name of the curry you wanted. You continued to do this even when you called us back to let us know there was a problem. We only realised which dish you actually wanted by discussing it further. Unfortunately there was no way we could have known that the curry you originally ordered was not the one you actually wanted. Your friend was kind enough to understand this when we spoke to her. However, we were more than happy to replace the curry along with the chips and agreed to send them out as soon as we could.

During our conversation I did not suggest or even feel that you were lying. I simply explained that the name you were using was for a completely different dish to the one you wished to order. I am sorry that you felt I was being confrontational by explaining this.

However, there was NO MENTION AT ALL of blood or red meat in the chicken when you and your friend spoke to us. We use high quality breast fillets in our cooking and they do not contain blood even when we receive them from our suppliers. We are shocked that you did not mention anything of this nature to us and would always advise any diner who experiences this to contact the restaurant and the Food Safety department of the local council as soon as possible. Our own procedures require us to make a note of anything of this nature in our food safety handbook.

We understand and accept that you were frustrated at the problems you experienced with the chips and receiving a dish that you did not want. However, we do not feel that this justifies the unpleasant nature of the rest of your comments and feel that we did everything reasonable to rectify the situation.