“Never again”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Postcode: PO12 4LQ
Reviewed June 20, 2013

We were welcomed by courteous staff, shown to our table and then it all started to go wrong !!!
1. My husband’s 20oz plaice was not 20 oz skin bone and all !!!
2. My son and I both had hunters chicken and it tasted as if it had been kept warm for hours, the bacon was tough and the cheese greasy and hard with very little barbeque sauce.
3. The vegetables were tired and tasteless.
4. There were no vegetables for my husband to compliment his fish, only chips, a few peas or side salad would have been nice.
5. The desserts were awful, overpriced at £5.55 each and not fresh at all, my granddaughter had rice pudding that she couldn’t finish as it was so stiff and stodgy , which was sad as it was her favourite pudding, the chocolate fudge cake that our other granddaughter had was huge and hard, we had to cut it with a knife to enable her to eat some of it, I think that maybe it was that old that she was given what was left to get rid of it, there was not a fudgy thing about it. My son’s profiterole’s were crispy/hard, my husband felt his peach Bakewell was tasteless and my apple pie was approximately 8cm x 8cm, and no more than 1 cm high for £5.55 I feel that it should have been a bit more substantial and I have never tasted custard like the custard I was served up, it was runny and bland.
I did not complain at the time as I had my granddaughters with me and I felt I wanted to go away and reflect on the meal and decide on my action as I feel that for over £120.00 we should of at least been able to leave the table having enjoyed 95% of the meal not 5% (which were the starters). I don't mind paying a good price for good food. but this was Pub Grub at it's worst for restaurant prices. I wrote a letter to the owner and have had no reply, maybe they are used to getting letters such as this. I was sad as this was meant to be a lovely ending to a great day with my son and his family!!!!!

4  Thank Jackie P
There are newer reviews for Jolly Roger

Reviewed June 16, 2013

Tried this place for the first time after reading some good reviews and wasn't disappointed.
The pub is split in to two areas - a small traditional pub area and the main restaurant eating area.

I was with my girlfriend and we had a window seat with a nice view over looking the channel and whilte cliffs opposite.

Our starters were exceptional and although pricy were worth every penny. The main course was not quite as impressive but was still very good.

Overall we came away impressed although I felt it was a little expensive for what we had had, but not enough to stop us from going back.

Reviewed June 16, 2013

Overpriced - overcooked - orrible. Do not eat here ... the food is frozen, microwaved and tasteless. I choose from 'catch of the day' menu but was left wondering which month or year it was caught. I have nothing positive to say.

4  Thank Freckles60
Reviewed June 10, 2013

thought the prices for food & drinks in general were a bit over inflated! yes the location is very nice by the sea, but did'nt think the quality & portion sizes warrented the price so probably wont be returning!

3  Thank carol d
Reviewed June 9, 2013

The food has improved quite a lot since November last year when I last went. We had the garlic dough balls which were nice. Both had the 12 oz rump steaks and they were lovely. The only thing I would say was we both asked for medium rare and they were more medium well done but still very nice. I will be returning sooner this time as I was very impressed.