“the crab was fresh....a week before it was served to us !”
Review of Jolly Roger

Jolly Roger
Ranked #66 of 173 Restaurants in Gosport
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Postcode: PO12 4LQ
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“the crab was fresh....a week before it was served to us !”
Reviewed April 13, 2013

On arriving, we were seated next to a party of three diners which was strange as there were plenty of free tables available which would have suited our party of four better. You then have to circum-navigate the pub to see all of the food available. There was the lunch menu, the fish menu, the meat menu, the al a carte menu and a bar food menu. Why not put it all in one book and call it " THE MENU ". My mother in law is partially blind, so relaying the various menus was a chore to say the least. Three of us had a starter. my wife had moulles, which were "nothing special", David had mushroom soup,(which I am guessing came from a tin, but cost £4.95!!!), and I opted for the rather expensive deep fried prawns with salsa.What I got was three king prawns, not fresh, on a tired bit of lettuce and two slices of tomato, which again did not look fresh. The salsa was in fact garlic and chilli sauce straight from a bottle of "blue dragon". When I have had this dish before, the prawn usually has a tail. These king prawns were just peeled king prawns, the sort you would use in a sandwich. Three of us had the "fresh" crab. Three of us were served crab that was in fact off. One taste of mine and I knew it was bad, my wifes also, we didnt even bother to try mother in laws. David had cod, chips and peas. We sent back the crab. We declined offers of more food, even beer. I would not recomend this place to anyone. The food is rubbish. A really cheeky outfit serving pub food at restaurant prices, and not even very good food at that.The "chef" should resign at once and go back to digging ditches.

3 Thank frannylea

Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“After a bad start...well recovered”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

On first coming into the Jolly Roger on my last visit, there was a little mis-understanding. I was trying to respect the house rules of no children in the bar area, but there was no where to sit with my 2 children. I was initially spoke to quite rudely, but after a discussion I have to hand it back that the owner was then very friendly. He has to be conscious of his licencing so fair, and made great effort to ensure we were looked after.

We were seated in the restaurant and the service and attention we were given was spot on.

I had the steak and kidney pudding with mash and veg, 10 yo had childrens lasagne, 5yo had scampi.

The Steak and Kidney pudding was rich, meaty and packed a punch...how a S&K pudding should be. Mash was a little lumpy, veg was well cooked. I asked for an extra pot of gravy which was delivered with no fuss.

The lasagne was full of flavour and a nice size portion. Scampi was also a decent portion, really nice chips also.

This isnt the cheapest pub around, so when paying the extra £s you do want to feel like you are treated well, and after the initial minute or so, both the owners and staff could not be faulted.

A lovely place to sit and look out to the harbour with the boats and kids loved being there.

The Jolly gets another good review from me.

Gosport, United Kingdom
“What a disappointment - this place has gone downhill”
Reviewed April 4, 2013

Beautiful venue with amazing views, but that doesn't excuse the terrible service and disappointing food. We'd eaten here before and had an amazing experience but from what I understand the management has changed, and it's now marketing an 'al a carte' menu which is in fact over priced pub grub, straight from the microwave.

On arrival we were seated in a great spot and a waitress took our drinks order. A waiter then served our drinks, spilling them over our menus and exclaiming a 4word expletive right in front of us, which left us all rather open-mouthed.

He returned to clear the mess, and took our food order. It was clear he was inexperienced, and he returned again to double check he'd taken the order correctly.

My husband's Moules Marinieres starter was so awful he couldn't eat it, and on complaining the waiter suggested a beer top up to make up for the poor food - the boys gratefully accepted, but were brought a different beer to the one they ordered. This would have been forgiven but for the empty starter plates being left on our table until a waitress bought out our mains - you can imagine the carnage of trying to put down 5 plates of mains when the empties of 5 starters were still on the table.

Add to that the waitress bought out a main which we didn't order, and on requesting what we ordered we were asked, 'can't you just try it, to see if you like it'? We said no, as it wasn't what we'd ordered, but she advised a new main would take 20 minutes to prepare (which is doubtful, as the food seemed very pre-prepared) so we accepted what we'd been served as we didn't want the delay.

My sister ordered a steak with chips and peppercorn sauce, and it arrived without either. We requested these items again and were told there was no peppercorn sauce, at which point I got quite cross and demanded why we weren't told this at the point she'd ordered the steak, as this would have certainly meant she'd have ordered something else. The waiter then said, 'oh, does a steak always come with a sauce then'? He was clearly clueless.

The mash was so dry it disintegrated upon contact, and it had lumps in it. The tagine (which we didn't even order, and neither waiter could pronounce) was tasteless, and came with rice (couscous anyone?), and the vegetables were clearly microwaved and not roasted, as they were soggy.

The draught lemonade was also flat.

I complained prior to requesting the bill, and warned the waiters that I would not be paying asking price for the food as it and the service were substandard. I also challenged the waitress who insisted we should 'have a go' at the main she brought out even though it wasn't what we ordered, and pointed out to the waiter that he needed more training as his service skills were apalling and it was blindingly obvious that he was new. My Dad then collected the bill and was given one person's starter and main for free, but I still think this was too much to pay.

The restaurant had only 2 other tables to serve the whole evening, so there was no excuse for the atrocious service or poor food. It is overpriced pub grub served in huge portions but I would rather have the 'a la carte' experience advertised, and enjoy a smaller menu cooked properly.

I absolutely would NOT recommend this restaurant to anyone. The Old House at Home just a walk down the road, offers much better quality food and service for a lesser fee. And their waiter probably won't swear in front of you either. Sort it out, Jolly Roger.

4 Thank AbiW_13
“Absolutely atrocious”
Reviewed March 23, 2013

A group of us visited The Jolly Roger for a hen party. The waitress (Portugese, I think) was rude and had an aggressive manner from the start. The food was cheap but still not worth the money. A friend found 3 separate hairs in her meal. The vegetables were cold. People who ordered fish and chips ended up with fish and three tiny new potatoes to which the waitress just said "you can't have it with chips" when serving the food. They apparently ran out of glass tumblers so kept trying to nick them from the table when we were still drinking from them.

The ladies toilet was grubby and poorly cleaned.

Overall, unhygienic, awful food, even worse service, and rude/aggressively mannered staff.

5 Thank Elcu
Gosport, United Kingdom
“Bad Food! Bad Service!”
Reviewed March 10, 2013

A terrible experience at the Jolly Roger for a family gathering.

Ever heard the saying 'The Customer is always right' Not in this establishment the staff will argue this point with you.

We endured poor table service from staff., Rudeness! Arrogant! Obnoxious!

Undercooked Pork! Lumpy Mash Potatoes! Insufficient Portions! Burnt Potatoes! Undercooked Fries! Overpriced!

Be sure to check your bill too., £34 for a 10oz Gammon.

Simply go somewhere else, this was not a good dining experience.

• Visited March 2013