“Best Pub In Gosport for food”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Jolly Roger

Jolly Roger
Ranked #58 of 171 Restaurants in Gosport
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Scenic view, Bar scene, Special occasions, Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Postcode: PO12 4LQ
Gosport
“Best Pub In Gosport for food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2013

Having read a few reviews on this site about the Jolly Roger id like to add my input as a frequent visitor to the pub ' mainly for food'. Im not really sure what some people expect to get for around £12 to £14 but if you want really nice food at a reasonable price then the Jolly Roger is for you. The pub itself is located in a nice area and in the summer the views of the marina whilst having a nice cold pint makes for a good atmosphere. The bar area is always nice and lively with the staff always smiling and waiting to assist. As for the menu and food in general, let me put it in its simplest terms. After my first visit i went for a pint in my local The Queens Head and was raving about the meal i had just had with my partner. I had the Belly Pork (lush is an understatment) and she had Chicken with Chorizo which was that filling she could not finish it, so i duely obliged not because i was still hungry cause the belly pork did well and trully fill me up. I just didnt want to see good food go to waste. I stated to friends that if they wanted to treat there partner to a nice meal, to go to the Jolly as it was by far the best food served in the area. My advise is to look at the specials board as thats where you will get something different to your standards pub menu. There are plenty of draft Lagers and beers to choose from and at prices that you would expect to pay nowadays.
Iv read a few of the negative reviews on here about the Jolly Roger and if anybody has ever talked about the people who write really negative things about places are the people who expect perfection then i guess thats them. With a bit of luck we wont be seeing those people in the Jolly again because no doubt they are the type of moaning people that brings the atmosphere down in a nice place like this. Let them go and complain somewhere else cause no doubt they will.
Oh and for the record Florence01 iv had the Chicken pie and it was tasty and well worth the money and maybe if you had stopped moaning for five minutes you would of actually realised that the black bits inside the pie were in fact mushrooms cause i noticed it when i had it.

• Visited August 2012

Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“Difficult one to sum up”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2013

I think it all depends on why you visit the Jolly Roger and what you choose to eat.

I've been twice and enjoyed it both times. First for a simple pint then for a set weekday lunch (which doesn't appear on their web site). The food is pub food, however my curry was perfect (heavy on the meat and light on the rice) plus the choc pud wasn't bad either and all for a price that was more than reasonable.

Will be back for another lunch.

Visited February 2013
Lichfield, United Kingdom
“Inflated Prices for Substandard Food”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2013

I have never used review sites before, but my recent terrible gastronomic experience, at the Jolly Roger, has compelled me to.
My friend, who was celebrating a special occasion, and I went to the Jolly Roger for the first time; never again!!!!
First the menu described as al la carte is nothing more than an overstated menu of the usual pub food but, shockingly, priced in the al la carte bracket. We didn't fancy anything on the' al la carte menu' so chose the pie option, at £11.95, on the specials board. I chose chicken mushroom and bacon pie, chips and veg.
The pie, chips and veg were all served separately, the veg appeared to be fresh and was fine. However, the chips, served on one plate, looked like the charred remnants from the night before; the chef had clearly tried to conceal this by arranging several fresher looking chips on the top. My friend did not want to make a fuss about this, as it was her special night, she then duly helped herself to the fresher looking chips; I sorted through the burnt offerings and managed to salvage about five chips. The meal only got worse from this point; I struggled to cut through the cardboard pastry and took a mouthful of rubber chicken. Closer scrutiny of the pie revealed approximately four lumps of chicken, three of which had a very strange black tar mark, and there was a distinct absence of bacon and mushrooms. I could not work out what the black impregnated marks were on the chicken so I asked the waitress for her opinion. The waitress was dismissive and said it's a mushroom, I then demonstrated to her that it was not, she then offered to take it back to the chef and' unbelievingly, asked me to finish my chips first, I did, she took the plate to the chef and returned empty handed insisting that the black marks were mushrooms, of course I disagreed. The waitress did not ask me what I would like to do about it, but offered a free desert. I do not like desert so declined, I still felt Hungary and would have preferred a replacement pie. The waitress did offer a complimentary glass of wine, but this did not extend to my friend.
At £11.95 for pie & chips you would expect something of a superior quality; I have had far better quality of pie & chips served at a chain pub for £4.99

3 Thank LittleFlorence01
Winterswijk, The Netherlands
“Good food, good view”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2013

I reserved a table in advance, and I have to say the communication was friendly, polite, and effective. The Jolly Roger is a nicely situated restaurant belonging to a pub on the waterside in Gosport - with views across the water to Portsmouth harbour. Cosy atmosphere, plenty tables, efficient and friendly waitress service, pleasant experience. The food is good and fresh, although not as good as the expectations raised by the prices. The kitchen does quite well in providing tasty food, and some quite original dishes, but their aspirations fall short of the level that goes with the prices. With a starter consisting of a plate of meat and fish slices, for instance, I would have expected something like bread and/or sauces to be served, but the plate was all. Good and fresh, though, and both the meat and fish were of high quality. The mains were excellent. The dessert was tasty, but if you expect two people to share a mixed dessert plate with one of each kind on it, I'd expect at least a knife and two extra plates or saucers so as not to make the sharing too messy. The dessert looked very 'homemade', but again was very tasty. All in all a pleasant dining experience, but with a little more attention to detail and somewhat lower prices the enthusiasm of the guests might be increased even further.

Southampton, United Kingdom
“We did indeed go again!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2013

Follow-up to visit last October when I commented on excellent value and that we would go again - which we did. Since then there have been very mixed reviews which are puzzling. A group of five all agreed on the excellent value (£8.95 for three plentiful courses) and quick service. Very difficult on this evidence to understand the less than enthusiastic reviews but no doubt they wrote as they found. And yes, we would go again!