“A great time was had by all.”

Royal Navy Submarine Museum
Book In Advance
More Info
$39.65*
and up
Portsmouth Historic Dockyard: All Attraction Ticket
Ranked #1 of 24 things to do in Gosport
Reviewed February 4, 2013

My grandchildren asked me to take them to this attraction, i didn't really want to go as I did think that I would be quite bored, but to my suprise, I found it very interesting and the children loved it didn't want to leave. i cannot wait to go again

Reviewed February 2, 2013

it is interesting, i did feel closed in but you would would'nt you, very educational, childre love it, and it teaches you about some of your heritage, I would recommend you visit

Reviewed January 22, 2013

Great experience with the last surviving WW2 British Submarine outside which for an extra fee you can take a tour in with a genuine old sea dog Submariner. (Presently being renovated/preserved) so check before you go if you want to see that specifically. ) Holland 1 the first RN submarine is there, lots of tours things to do, Its everything submarine this place you can even look out through a preserved periscope and check out portsmouth !

Reviewed January 2, 2013

My partner and I visited the Royal Navy Submarine Museum on a rainy afternoon in December 2012. The main advantage of this attraction is that it's all indoors, so no trudging around in the cold and wet! We began our visit by looking at and learning about HMS X24, a midget submarine. It's great that you can see inside the submarine and marvel at it's rudimentary interior. The contents of the World War II X-Craft escape kit in a nearby display cabinet were particularly fascinating.

As previous reviewers have mentioned, the sub HMS Alliance is covered in a shroud at the moment as it's undergoing renovations. That was a slight shame but didn't prevent us from undertaking the full tour. Charlie was our tour guide and he's brilliant - so knowledgeable, patient and friendly. Thanks Charlie! The tour takes you through one level of the submarine, from the forward torpedo room, to the living quarters, to the engine room. The whole tour was absolutely fascinating and I'd highly recommend it. The only thing to be aware of is that there are potential trip hazards in the floor, plus things for the unwary visitor to bang their head on. We didn't, but it's just worth pointing out that if someone is a little unsteady on their feet this may not be for them. Similarly if you're particularly claustrophobic this may not be for you!

I've discovered a new found respect for all submariners and particularly those brave souls who crewed the submarines I visited. This attraction is well worth a visit.

Reviewed December 28, 2012

Went with my 3 sons (aged 11, 9 & 7) and my parents. My Father is an ex submariner and I thought he would be able to provide his personal experience. First of all we had the guided tour of HMS Alliance by an expert ex-submariner tour guide. The cramped conditions really makes you appreciate the bravery of the crews. Despite currently undergoing restoration the tour was still very good (I was aware of the restoration before visiting). The we had lunch in the cafe which we all enjoyed (shame they didn't do chips). Then we progressed to the main part of the museum which had loads of interactive stuff, in addition to the artifacts and the X craft. Next stop was Holland 1 which was great, you can climb aboard it too. Lastly, we visit the weapon gallery which is situated on the return route to the car park. We all enjoyed the visit, it brought back some memories for my Dad. Especially poignant was the memorial to 5000+ submariners that have gave their lives in defence of their country.

1  Thank 1veryhappycustomer