“one off”

Ranked #18 of 20 Gosport B&B and Inns
Eastleigh, United Kingdom
“one off”
Reviewed February 14, 2011

I am SHOCKED to see there are some negative reviews for this hotel. My son travelled from Australia to get married here and it was superb. OK the building is old and the plumbing noisy but it is steeped in history and that is the character and charm of the place. The ceiling in the Marquis is beautiful...like the Milky Way.

As one of the judges for the Gosport Business Awards, I always take a room for the Gala Dinner which is held every November for the presentation ceremony, my home being 22 miles away. The food is always wonderful and the staff are as helpful as can be. Gosport town council would surely hold the event elsewhere should there be any cause for complaint.

To 'put my money where my mouth is', I have booked this unique venue for my husband's 70th birthday celebations.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Gosport, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 4, 2010

I held my wedding at the Alver bank on the 16.10.10. On the run up to my wedding the staff were so help full epecially Katie. The day went like clock work and the food was amazing. I stayed at the hotel the night befor the wedding and my room was lovely, it was very clean and if i needed any thing i felt like i could just ask for it. On the morning of the wedding every one was so help full , i had family staying in the hotel as well and they all said what alovely stay they had had.
Every one who came to the wedding said what a lovely day they had, so i would like to say a big thanlk you to every one at the Alverbank !!!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
Stockport
Reviewed October 19, 2010

Just had the best weekend at the alverbank celebrating my cousins wedding, reading some of the reviews i have to say that travelling from manchester i really wondered what on earth we were coming too! we arrived extremely tired and in need of some welcome rest, we were warmly greeted by the lovely sam who looked after us like royalty, all the staff went out of there way to make sure our stay was pleasant and comfortable, i shared a twin room with my sister, the room was tired and in need of a makeover, also the shower was`nt very powerful, my mum had a twin room all to herself which was an improvement to ours with a terrace over looking the solent to the beautiful isle of wight, original features in the rooms and when walking around the alverbank took you back in time, relaxing in the bar area with your favourite indulgence you could truly soak up the alverbank character and charm, thank you from us northeners for making our stay and our cousin`s wedding a trully memorable one

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
Salvador, Bahia, Brazil
Reviewed September 1, 2010

Our family group booked several rooms at the Alverbank because of the location very near to the family party we were attending. Subsequently we read the awful reviews on this website. We were going to cancel but just couldn't be bothered looking for somewhere else. We decided we would just grin and bear it.
To our total surprise it was a great experience. The house is beautiful with a lovely garden in the middle of a park just in front of the sea. The rooms were nice: clean and comfortable - not the Ritz but then we don't stay at the Ritz anyway. The bathroom was a little small but was adequate.
The staff were extremely friendly and helpful. The bar was really nice with tables out in the garden. We ate there as well and the food was very good. It is pub food not Michelin 3 star but was delicious.
The cooked breakfast was really first class. The cold options weren't very imaginative though. So all of us sat around the bar asking each other what were the other reviewers on about. Very odd that there could be so many terrible reviews about the place.
I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Gosport, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 11, 2010

we had our wedding there every one of our family that stayed which was nearly every room complained that the rooms were dirty, had cobwebs and smelt of damp. The cost of the rooms even with the discount was overpriced!. Food at the wedding and at breakfast was disguisting this cooked by a michellin star chef supposdly! could have done better myself for half the price.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank tinkslinks

Travelers are raving about these Gosport hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 10, 2010

Hello my name is Gordon

I stayed at the Alverbank hotel for 2 nights and it was a lovely place to be. I have stayed in many hotels as my work takes me all over the uk. This hotel is a hidden gem

On arrival the staff were very helpful and helped my carry some of my bags to the room, I stayed in room 7 it was extremely clean, and the bed was extremely comfortable. I also had dinner in the hotel the food was outstandingly brilliant they also have a great menu the service in the hotel is of a extremely high class.

I was so impressed by my stay at the hotel I booked my daughters wedding at the hotel and she only has the BEST OF THE BEST

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank gordon121
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 14, 2010

both myself and my wife have travelled from norwich on business. we had to stay at the hotel, and on first impressions, we were met with a lovely homely feeling. But on second glances at the room we stayed in, i can say that we were disgusted with how dirty the hotel was.
We went down to eat in there restaurant, and i was even more disgusted with the kind of food they deliver to the customer. We decided to give the restaurant a second chance........WISH WE HAD NOT BOTHERED.

We will never be going to that place again, and i hope that the environmental health officers in their area get to read this.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank scrappydoo89
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gosport
Holiday Inn Express Portsmouth - Gunwharf Quays
#2 of 7 in Fareham
The Manor Hotel
The Manor Hotel
#17 of 20 in Gosport

Been to Alverbank Country House Hotel? Share your experiences!