“Not worth a visit”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Gosport
Alverbank Country House Hotel
Ranked #18 of 20 Gosport B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 12, 2013

We went to the Alverbank Hotel last night for a Blues Brothers Theme Night at a cost of £12 per person. There was a choice of two dinners, we chose the curry. It was beef curry with rice and, what was supposed to be, poppadoms. The beef was very tough (obviously, cheap meat and not cooked properly) and the poppadoms were like eating cotton wool. We were offered a dessert at £3.50 which we declined.

The staff were polite.

The 'Blues Brothers' were not bad, but not good either.

This hotel needs a lot of money spent on it. It's such a shame, because the location is great, the views towards the Isle of Wight are wonderful, and it could be a wonderful venue, but its not. It is dismal, smelly and grubby.

We definitely will not be going back.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed September 5, 2013

Stayed here for a wedding thank god only the 1 night. It was dreadful our room overlooked the bins and bottle bank area where all the staff sit outside and chat and smoke dirty bikes all piled up outside No privacy whatsoever as they can see straight into the room. We had bottles crashing into the bins and noise and stinking rubbish smell drifting into our room from the bins that were overflowing and not closed. Shutting the window didn't help.
We wanted to shower before getting ready for the wedding "NO HOT WATER" I would have thought that was fundamental basic but if there had been hot water we would not have been able to stay in the bathroom due to the wretched sewerage smell coming from the sink and loo. No dressing table or anywhere to sit a laptop or do your hair room was so cramped and small and smelly. The staff did not know how to charge correctly for the rounds of drinks we didn't mind as we were undercharged several times and breakfast was dreadful sat for 10 minutes waiting for a pot of tea then had to wait 15 minutes for our toast to come out after we had our cooked breakfast which we had already eaten otherwise it would have been cold. BLACK PUDDING! YUK. then to be charged £80 for this awful service is a crime. All in all a pitiful place and thank goodness we wont have to go back.

Room Tip: Don't Go but if you have too avoid room 8 like the plague.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 15, 2013

Stayed for 3 nights. Very dated and in need of updating. The bed was terrible and to cap it all above the room an extractor fan ran all night....so not much sleep. The breakfast was not much better, not sure what sort of orange juice it was but it was not nice and the milk had strange lumps in it. Eggs came out cold. The evening meal is in the bar which was not the place for a romantic holiday with people in and out for a smoke in the garden....so eat out the other two nights. Also be aware of the room doors....very stiff to open and not easy trying to get bags in the room. Outside could do with the rubbish being picked up too.
On the plus side the staff were friendly.

Room Tip: Not sure if the have a "good" room.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 24, 2013

Stayed in this hotel (b&b) in July 2013. Initially when we arrived we were told we were not booked in, even though we had printed confirmation. Upon checking in I went up to my room (room 5). The room was of a decent size, but very dated. It was a twin room with a small t.v and it appeared clean enough. Looking around, I started to think that there must be a communal bathroom as I didn't appear to have an on suite. Then upon looking in the wardrobe, I discovered the small, smelly and slightly dirty en suite bathroom. It smelt (of mould and damp) so bad that I refrained from having a shower before eating out(and I ALWAYS shower before going out to eat), even though we had just driven 6hrs to get there.

We had an early start the next morning so I got to bed at a decent time and had no trouble nodding off, the bed was perfectly comfortable. Then, I was awoken at midnight by a faint, two tone buzzing sound. I tried to get back to sleep but the noise persisted. I eventually got up to try and discover the source. After wandering around upstairs for a while, I went downstairs to reception (unstaffed at night) and the noise grew louder. After poking around for a while I found it to be coming from behind a door signed 'fire door, keep closed at night'. After debating whether or not this door would be alarmed, and whether or not to risk waking the whole hotel (b&b) up by opening it, I opened it. Beyond the door was the breakfast room and the noise was from a small radio alarm clock with the buzzer function programmed for midnight, highly frustrating.

After working the next day I got to sleep with no issues, after quickly checking on the alarm clock in the breakfast room. The next morning I went down for breakfast, for the first time of our stay. The manager was serving and he was a very nice guy. I asked if they had any continental breakfast, fruit, yoghurt etc and he returned with a bowl containing an apple, an orange and a handful of grapes. Not the best, but adequate. Upon checking out the manager took my card, while I was waiting for the machine to work, I bent down to grab something from my bag. When I looked back up the manager handed me my card, told me the card machine wasn't working and had written down my card details. I wasn't over joyed at this as he hadn't had the courtesy to tell me this before doing it. Then I was told I couldn't get a receipt due to the machine not working.

The good points for this b&b are the friendly staff and that it's right next to the Solent, the negatives are everything else.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed June 14, 2013

I got married here 1st Sept 2012. This venue is lovely, i didnt even no about it, its not advertised that well or isnt advertised at Wedding Venues but then i dont think they feel they need to as they are always booked with weddings.
When my mum said about it & i googled it i dismissed it right away it looked real old fashioned & not what i was after at all, the rooms didnt have good reviews at all. My mum said the back room was done out like a Marquee which is what i had wanted so it this is what swayed me into checking it out
BOY AM I GLAD I DID its a lovely place they website does not do it justice at all. Its lovely not as old fashioned as it looks, the back marquee room is beautiful.
The owner of the hotel Kate bent over backwards for us asked what we wanted IT WAS OUR DAY AFTER ALL & let us have what we wanted, this is the problem i found with other places we visited. We had a big wedding & our wedding day was just amazing. The food was lovely, the staff were great. The views in the garden are nice for photos & then they have the gardens at the back of the hotel that are good for photos.
The Alverbank really no how to help you put on a good wedding, we had exclusive use for our hotel as we didnt want people coming up from the beach & were glad we did.
The rooms there not great they could do with some serious modernising but there comftable have what you want. We had the bride * groom suite & it was nice, no complaints my parents room was nice they were both spacious I cant comment on the others i didnt see them but people said they were ok. We let all the rooms out for £60 we could set the rate as we had exclusive use & filled the rooms but i def wouldnt pay full price. Breakfast the next day was nice. I would go back here for food or to put on another party or go to there tribute nights.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank chelseaharvey
Reviewed June 9, 2013

Set in a beautiful area, this little hotel is a bit of a gem. The staff were very friendly and helpful, our room was lovely and bright, the bed was very comfortable, the linen was crisp and fresh (as were the new fluffy towels), and our bathroom was clean and tidy (although agree with other reviews that it is small - but it is an old building and to be expected) We found the room very quiet and were not disturbed by other guests. The breakfast was very tasty and to a good standard and the young waiter was very attentive.

The garden is a lovely place to sit and have a coffee, with stunning views of the solent and a park is next door for a little wander. The sea is a 2 minute walk away.

Would thoroughly recommend this lovely, relaxed hotel.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 9, 2013

Very warm welcome by the staff and looked after well. Room was comfortable, clean and presented well. Although there was a wedding taking place downstairs, the room remained quiet and our needs were met at all times with a smile.

Lovely walks surrounding the area and a stones throw from the beach. Would not hesitate to recommend to friends and family and would definately go back.

Room Tip: Room 7 was lovely and quiet.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gosport
The Old Lodge Hotel
The Manor Hotel
The Manor Hotel
#17 of 20 in Gosport
Spring Garden Guest House

Been to Alverbank Country House Hotel? Share your experiences!