“An Excellent experience”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Bildeston
The Bildeston Crown
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Bildeston
Reviewed August 14, 2013

From the time we arrived until the time we left everything was perfect at The Crown. A really comfortable room with every amenity even down to a choice of background music. There was a wide choice of dishes on the menu and the meal turned out to be excellent in every way with attentive, friendly staff and a really good ambience in the dining room. Overall an excellent experience for a special occasion.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed August 13, 2013

Had dinner here on Tuesday August 13th; our poorest meal anywhere for many years. Poor food, served in excellent surroundings, oh, and did I mention the poor food.
Customers walk away from poor eateries, and don't return!

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Percroonz
Reviewed August 9, 2013 via mobile

I say hidden, but when you go there for the first time you wonder where you are heading to. We loved the old paintings or prints which related to country life. We sat down in the bar which gave us a chance to look through the menu and enjoy a drink and our families company. When our food was nearly ready we were led into the restaurant to another table. The food is excellent and well presented. We were curious as to what the bedrooms were like should we ever want to stay, and it was no problem for a member of staff to show us one of their rooms. If you have reason to venture out to this wonderful area of England, treat yourself and pop in.

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed August 5, 2013

My family were staying nearby in Spring 2011 and we had a lovely meal here. Because we had our dog with us, we had to eat in the bar are but the staff were so helpful. We were 5 people and had a lovely large table. The food and wine were excellent and we all had a great time. Even the locals were friendly!

My partner and I had also popped in for a couple of snifters on our own and sat in the lovely courtyard at the rear (not shown in photo). There is plenty of parking and it is easy to find in the village.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 4, 2013

This was our first visit to the Bildeston Crown and I don’t think it will be our last. We went with friends who have been several times and it is one of their favourite places to eat in Suffolk.

We were staying the night and upon arrival, check-in was warm, friendly and efficient; the lady on reception even offered to carry our luggage, but being a gentleman I declined the offer! The bedroom was a reasonable size, with good lighting (poor lighting is all too prevalent in modern hotel rooms) and well appointed, with a very comfortable bed and, in the bathroom, a decent sized bath and an excellent shower, with good quality fittings. In the room were a state of the art TV and a decent music system (although somewhat lacking in classical choices – something to think about there).

The restaurant is a very nice place to be. The wine list is fairly comprehensive and not too overpriced. The waiting staff was efficient and attentive without being intrusive (we were only asked once if everything was OK). One very nice, very French touch, all too rarely encountered in restaurants in the UK, was that the waiters described the ingredients in each course as they served it. The dinner itself was superb, nominally three courses, but with a very nice amuse-bouche to start and a rum and raisin pre-dessert that was to die for. My one slight gripe was that my starter, described as langoustine cocktail, while very tasty and beautifully presented, included just two tiny, peeled crustacean tails not much bigger than shrimp! My main course, of two cuts of lamb, was superb and for dessert I had the best Bakewell tart it has ever been my pleasure to eat (although I failed to notice it is supposed to be for two people to share!).

I thoroughly recommend this place and, despite the slight gripe about the starter, must award five stars.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 31, 2013

Stayed over for 1 night on Saturday for our 23rd Wedding Anniversary. I have to say the service is the first thing you notice. A warm welcome, shown to our room, bar staff excellent, restaurant service excellent. It is refreshing to stay at a hotel where you order coffee, bar drinks, dinner etc and not once are you asked to sign bits of paper. You simply get a bill at the end of stay. Not even as much as request to swipe my credit card on arrival! It really is excellent. Just sit back, relax, order whatever you like during your stay and get the bill at the end - and you can add service to that at your discretion!

The rooms are very decorative, clean, tidy, comfortable and for the most part functional but for a hotel of this standard I would expect tea/coffee making facilities in the room. I dare say you could order room service but it's a pain first thing in the morning when you just want a cuppa. Also there was no air conditioning in our room. The reason I would not knock it is that the hotel had prepared the room and had a fan going which worked well enough for us.

Food - the best bit part of the stay! The food is excellent, a great menu, beautifully prepared, served well and the best quality you can experience! It really was one of the best meals I have ever had if not the best in Suffolk!

There is plenty to see and do in the area. We visited some of the local market towns and villages and headed into Bury St. Edmunds on Sunday for a wander. It was also nice to just sit in the hotels courtyard and sip a beer and coffee (not at the same time!).

No complaints from me and I would gladly recommend and return.

Room Tip: You can pick your own rooms off the hotels website. Just state which one you want when booking. Work...