“A little old fashioned gem!”

The Cosy Tea Pot and Collectables
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed August 29, 2012

I do not know the owners nor do I have any idea about their attitude towards children per se. I was so delighted with the Tearoom that I wanted to give it a favourable review - when I went on to the Trip Advisor website and read two previous reviews I was very surprised at the adverse comments!
As Brightonians we went with relatives who live in Exeter for a light lunch. It was reasonably priced and very tasty. It was a late lunch so by the time we were ready to go the early Cream Teaers were arriving - and what they were being served almost made us want to move straight on to tea................and if you don't like cream teas and scones then the homemade cakes looked wonderful too! Our next visit will definitely be for tea!
One comment about the two waitresses. They were so pleasant - smiling at everyone throughout our stay at a very busy time of the day. They were friendly, obliging, helpful and efficient and a credit to the establishment - can't possibly be the same ones that upset Natalie and Collette (previous reviewers).
One final comment about the teashop itself: it is relatively small and certainly not physically pushchair friendly. As a grandparent with young pushchair grandchildren I do not expect every establishment to cater easily or happily with our children: we accept that some smaller establishments just cannot cope and we avoid them rather than force ourselves in and then complain...........

Reviewed August 20, 2012

Overpriced,
Rude young Waitress
Long wait for meal to arrive.
dark depressing room to eat in,
Children not made welcome

4  Thank Natalie124_12
Reviewed August 18, 2012

I loved the way the tea was served old fashioned style in bone china tea pot, cups & saucers. The only down side was the prices - c£20 for 2 hot chocolates with squirty cream & marshmallows, a small piece of millionaires shortbread and 2 cream teas. It was a lovely experience though!

Reviewed July 11, 2012

My family and I were on holiday from Australia...antiques and collectables are a passion, as is the consumption of good food....this place was perfect! Quirky, wonderfully crammed full of antiques, it was the place we chose to eat both morning tea and a late lunch all on the same day! If you prefer minimalist establishments this place is not for you.

As others have stated everything is served on quintessential English bone china - (old country rose pattern in our case). The array of home made cakes was incredible really - we tried four different ones and shared. They (lemon drizzle, fruit cake, coffee and walnut cake and scones) were all excellent. Lunch options were plentiful bordering on the huge! I had a ploughman's lunch and couldn't eat it all, and others consumed crab sandwiches, and toasties. Very comforting and filling on a cold day.
The service was extremely personable; provided with a very friendly and welcoming attitude and the chef also served us at one point - everyone pitches in as needed which I think is commendable. Other restaurants may make you sit there waiting on food as it just sits there if the waitresses or waiters are busy elsewhere.
This place is highly recommended. No impersonal or lacklustre service here as far as I'm concerned. Keep it up guys - I hope you continue to be successful.

NIK, Lloyd, Carol and Elaine.

Reviewed April 29, 2012

Been here twice for cream tea - delightful ambiance and lovely scones. Sure you can get cheaper but it's so quintessentially cutsey, English Heritage should list it. A little gem especially on a cold day when the fire warms the cheeks.....