“Sunday lunch under NEW Management & fully licenced. Excellent in every way!”
Review of Ocean House Cafe - CLOSED

Ocean House Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed December 9, 2013 via mobile

We had a fabulous Sunday lunch at Ocean House in Budleigh Salterton yesterday. There was a good selection on the Sunday lunch menu, including a vegetarian option. The locally caught fish in our fish pie had been caught at the local beach that morning. The fish pie & fresh vegetables we had were extremely good value, and really yummy! There were also meat options with roast vegetables, along with a good selection of puddings, if you still had room after the first course! Highly Recommended! Booking advisable.

1  Thank Jade0077

Reviewed November 18, 2013

Looked good from outside, Good ambiance BUT no welcome and certainly no smiles to be found here. Very impersonal. The food was good and it was delivered very quickly. Very large portions.
Shame the staff reflected the weather perfectly.
I just "don't get it".........these people live in Devon....and .....it's almost Christmas : )

Reviewed November 7, 2013

WELL MY WIFE WAS AT THIS CAFE!

The pleasant interior viewed from the outside tempted us in for Saturday lunch and the extensive menu and specials board looked appealing. However the poorly trained waitress that came over to us asking "You after food?" should have been a warning sign. It was tempting to offer a sarcastic "Well this is a café isn't it?" in reply but I stayed tight lipped.

We placed our order or more accurately tried to place our order. My daughter fancied a banana milk shake. "Sorry we're out of those". My wife went for a jacket potato. "Sorry no jackets left". I plumped for Welsh Rarebit. Sorry its off, we're fresh out of rarebits (OK I made that last bit up!)

I was thinking Monty Python's Cheese Shop sketch at this point. My wife and I then went for cheese and pickle sandwiches instead, one on granary and one on brown. "No problem" we were assured.

A few minutes later my sandwich on granary duly arrived nicely presented but nothing for my wife. Our waitress then returned with the news that incredibly they had now run out of cheese and brown bread as well so would my wife like a cheese and pickle sandwich WITHOUT THE CHEESE on white instead? WE COULDN'T BELIEVE OUR EARS! My wife declined and, by now starving, went for a toasted teacake praying that my youngest daughter wasn't at that point tucking into the last one of those!

Luckily she wasn't!!

What a way to run a café in a tourist village and on a Saturday lunchtime! There was a Spar shop just up the High Street. Surely they sell baking potatoes and cheese?

If you are in Budleigh Salterton, DON'T GO HERE, as there are many other cafes to choose from in the village.

2  Thank Dave C
Reviewed October 26, 2013

1. They don't do cream teas in 'winter'!
2. The price charged does not necessarily accord with the advertised price!!
3. They don't do hot meals on Saturday afternoons (even if it is the first Saturday of half term for most of the UK)!!!

Summary: Not impressed - if I am ever in Budleigh Salterton again, I shall go elsewhere.

Reviewed October 6, 2013 via mobile

A year after our last disappointing visit, it still seems that the Ocean House exists only for the benefit of its inattentive and inexperienced staff, rather than the long-suffering and over-charged customer. We won't make the same mistake a third time.

1  Thank Westcountrypeople