“Not impressed....”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Premier Cafe

Premier Cafe
Cuisines: Seafood, Fast Food, British
Good for: Kids, Local cuisine, Dining on a budget, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Description: Fish cafe serving local fish as well as award-winning fish and chips.Also has non- fish and veterinarian options and is licences. Along side the restaurant is a busy fish and chip take-away
“Not impressed....”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2012 via mobile

For the being the only fish and chip shop you would think the food would be pretty good, but then I guess as it is the only one they can get away with not being so great.

The chips were awful and burnt like they were from lunch time and hadn't been freshly cooked.

The one good thing was that they cooked the fish fresh there and then when you ordered it, however the batter was really soggy.

Price was not great £35 for 4 of us!

Gloucester, United Kingdom
“Good food, Bad customer service”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2012

I recently visited this shop twice in a week. On both occassions I had to queue a long time. The real bug bear which was annoying enough to prompt me to write my first ever review. I placed my order and waited a long time and when I eventually got to be served. Some other man appeared and commodered the till to serve up 17 fish and chips in front of me which took ages and took them away (I assume a telephone order). The girl on the till was very embarrassed and kept apologising, the man and the fryer never once gave eye contact. When it came to serving my order, the chips had run out. Very, very disappointing! I do not understand why the food warmers were empty, if you are know you are going to be busy why not better stock up to enable faster service. Take note of the 7 P's, look it up.

• Visited August 2012
Blissetts, Owner at Premier Cafe, responded to this review, August 27, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write your review and I am glad that you liked the food.
You are correct the 17 fish and chips were one of our half-hourly telephone orders and the person who appeared to help serve the 17 was actually trying to move the order through to avoid further delay.

We never stack food in our hot box in anticipation as we only cook to order so that the food is a fresh as possible.

I'm sorry that you found the wait unacceptable. We do our best to move things along as quickly as we can during busy times, unfortunately you got caught behind a large order......apologies

Simon Blissett
Oxfordshire
“Traditional fish and chips”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2012

We had a very nice meal here. The restaurant was basic but clean and the girls serving friendly.

Fish and chips was great, although I wish I had seen the other specials.

We had a nice bottle of Rose with it, so good value, friendly....

• Visited August 2012
UK
“Great fish and chips”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2012

Visited twice on our two week holiday and were lucky enough to eat them al fresco on the beach.

Fish is beautiful, chips cooked to perfection. Yes you have to wait a bit but that is so the food is fresh when you get to eat it.

They must have been good as we always try not to eat in the same place twice on holiday!

Northants, UK
“Good fish & chips”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2012

The fish was fresh and well cooked but the wait is really not acceptable. There is a lack of organistaion or planning because there are long queues every night. Similar places in Sidmouth were equally busy but the service was much quicker. It is a shame as the food is good.

Visited July 2012
Blissetts, Owner at Premier Cafe, responded to this review, August 1, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review the Premier Cafe on your recent visit to Budleigh.
I am glad that you liked the Fish and chips and totally understand your comment about the waiting time.
We are very fortunate to have a good reputation and being a must do for visitors to Budleigh.
All our food is cooked to order which does mean that the quality is better than when left in a top box but also leads to a queue. We are constantly looking at ways to reduce this queue and have done so significantly by boxing our food rather than wrappintg. However any suggestions would be of interest. The one idea we had of removing the staircase to ctreate more room isn't possible unfortunately.