“Good enough, but not great...”
Review of Denham Grove

Denham Grove
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Denham
Reviewed November 1, 2013

I stay here on business and it generally fits the bill quite well. The hotel looks pretty good on the surface, modern rooms, clean and tidy, etc., but a few little things let the experience down.
Positives:
- Car parking right utside
- Comfortable beds
- Modern interior
- Excellent WiFi
- Good value

Negatives:
- Attention to detail, e.g.
- Furniture in public areas very worn, some tables look close to collapse and the seat covers in the restaurant are worn through
- Scummy kettles
- Carpets need refreshing, as they are starting to look stained...
- Fixtures and fittings in room, e.g. toilet flush, sink draining, noise of air-con
- Buffet dinner is pretty low-rent...breakfast is good.

All-in-all, nothing majorly wrong, but enough niggles to irritate, even if the price is very competitive.

Note:
- Parking is free, but you will need to drive if you want to go anywhere as the hotel is quite isolated

Room Tip: There are some 'lodge' style rooms (superior), which give you a door directly outside (e.g...
1  Thank mollypolly1
conway_chris, Front of House Manager at Denham Grove, responded to this reviewResponded November 17, 2013

Dear mollypolly1,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience of Denham Grove on TripAdvisor – we do appreciate all the feedback we receive.

I do appreciate you taking the time to comment on the positive aspects of your stay as well as the negative. As I mention in other responses below, we are currently in the process of replacing, or repairing the furniture in Restaurant. We do operate a pro-active maintenance and cleaning programme – our team do work hard to ensure the niggles you note; such as scummy kettles and poor sink drainage do not occur, but on the occasion of your stay they obviously did occur and for that I am sorry.

Thank you again for your review and I do hope to welcome you back to Denham Grove in the near future on business or pleasure.

Reviewed October 28, 2013

I came as part of a bridge playing group and as a group we were well looked after and the conference facilities were excellent. The courtesy tea, coffee and hot chocolate machines and free internet outside the conference rooms was very welcome.

In the dining room some seating was on high stools, most of which had lost much of their leather topping. We were seated at well laid round tables by the window but several of the dining room chairs were unpleasantly stained and it is important to remove those when the staff tidy up and get them cleaned. The food is ok but nothing better. Many of the cooked vegetables were frozen and had that slightly rubbery texture. The desserts were mostly the same each day of our 3 day stay. More fruit salad would be very welcome. Breakfast was fine. I don't mind self service at all, however some people if less mobile may find this a problem.

Often there was no one serving at the bar so we needed to wait or find someone.

I was at the far end on the first floor (no lift) and my room was quiet, the bed and pillows comfortable and the bathroom very pleasant. Hot water and a good shower. The lighting in the room was quite dim and poor for reading at night, lighting in the bathroom was also fairly dim (two spots) so not easy to put the contact lenses in! The privacy blind in my room was jammed down, the night blind did not come completely down and the lock for the cord was loose and spun round.

This was my second visit. On each occasion there were very noisy wedding groups (which is why I requested, and got, a quiet room.) Obviously this is an important part of their revenue and wedding groups are hopefully going to make merry and have a good time. Some of my fellow guests complained of a drunken fight outside on the grass, a drunk woman being sick that they had to step over etc. Be aware at the weekend that you are likely to have a wedding so ask for a quiet room.

All the staff we dealt with were courteous and helpful.

The hotel is not isolated if you have a car but be aware that Uxbridge is the nearest town with shops.

The manager introduced himself to us and is obviously enthusiastic about his job. Would recommend a "snagger" went around to fix some of the minor maintenance issues.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room at the weekend when there may be a noisy group. Not recommended for a romantic...

Dear culturevulturelady,

Thank you for posting a review of Denham Grove after your recent weekend stay with us.

It sounds like on the whole you had an enjoyable stay with us and I am pleased to hear this. I do apologise that some aspects of your stay did not meet the standard you rightly set us and that we should expect of ourselves.

The comments you make about the stained and or faded restaurant furniture is something we are currently in the process of addressing. Chairs are either being professionally cleaned, replaced or re-covered to ensure the restaurant is a welcoming environment.

I am pleased your noted that our staff are friendly and courteous, they do show a great deal of passion in their work and will of course be more than happy to help someone to a bedroom with luggage, or assist with food or drinks to a table.

Thank you again for your comments and I do hope to welcome you back to Denham Grove in the near future.

Reviewed October 21, 2013

Stayed here last night with my boyfriend for an anniversary get away. We had seen the mixed reviews before we left but have stayed at other Devere venues before (Crewe and Reading) so we had rough expectations of what it would be like. On the whole it was good but there were a few things that would have been better...

Good points:
- close to m25 but far enough away to not get any noise
- nice sized pool, which was warm!
- food was good (we had a buffet dinner and breakfast in the deal we booked)
- staff were pleasant (apart from a wedding reception which we kept away from it was pretty quiet being a Sunday night so we couldn't say what this would have been like in peak times)
- room was really big and modern, bathroom lovely (we stayed in the signature double room on the ground floor (Chiltern, room 2)
-easy to park car
-towels on request for pool use
- Quiet location, dark room at night so good for light sleepers
- main entrance lovely
- grounds looked lovely but it was pouring so we didn't go outside
- we were kept well away from the wedding noise

Downsides:
- no signposts off the main road (we drove past the small road but fortunately the sat at was right)
- tiny single carriage road leading to the hotel (which was a bit of a nightmare when approximately seven cars were trying to go both ways (people travelling to a conference there thismorning)
- we booked a room which apparently had a king size bed (I'm 5'11 and my boyfriend 6'2) but there was no way that was a king, our feet came out of the ends and it was narrow, smaller than our bed at home which is apparently a double! Mentioned this to reception and she seemed surprised but I felt a bit ripped off! Especially because we were looking forward to a big bed, and the room was very spacious so it could easily have been a king!
- chair in our room had a large stain on it which was not welcoming!
- room temperature was boiling, constantly. We turned the radiator off mid afternoon and I was hot all night so didn't sleep well at all
- jacuzzi out of use, again something we were looking forward to using on a relaxing break
- one small tube of hair/body wash, was awful on my hair and not enough for two people
- toilet roll was damp when we arrived in room
- room not ready when we arrived even though we were supposed to be able to check in from 2pm
- pool table expensive at £1.50 a pop
- food took ages to arrive (for a sandwich and hotdog) approximately 45 minutes when the bar was not busy
-no bartender immediately on the bar to serve us when we arrived
- lighting in room really dull, but bathroom able to be bright
- cleaners thought it was ok to Hoover by rooms super early in the morning, and conference guests were noisy collecting outside our room in the morning, this I guess wouldn't be an issue on the weekends and I guess isn't really the hotels fault.

Also something I thought was a bit ironic was how they say they're committed to being green and want guests to turn lights off etc when not in use, but they don't have the kind of card systems better hotels do where you use the card to keep the electrics on...just a thought.

Personally I felt the Crewe and Reading hotels were better....

I might stay there again but only on a reduced rate or if someone took me for free.

There's lots of things that need to be improved but overall it was an okay stay. I wouldn't say myself and my partner are particularly fussy but I wanted to cover all bases with my points above as some of them are things you simply expect from a hotel and weren't good enough.

Room Tip: Go for the signature rooms if you can (for us they were he same price as the standard) as by the sou...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear keeley05,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback of Denham Grove on TripAdvisor.

Thank you for pointing out the areas that you enjoyed and or were impressed with, I have ensured these positive comments are shared with the team.

I have also passed your negative comments to the team so they can see the areas that require improvement. As you rightly point out there are some issues that are out of our control, such as; the narrow road and noise from other guests. With respect to some of your comments the action that has been taken – a full audit of all bedrooms is taking place to ensure heating controls are in good working order and can be easily adjusted by the guest. Moving forward our Housekeeping team are checking bedroom occupancy numbers more thoroughly and ensuring the correct number of shampoo and soap products are placed in the bedroom. The comments you make regarding the stained chair and the damp toilet roll are just unacceptable and our Housekeeping Manager is arranging additional training for the team that both clean and check the bedrooms.

Thank you again for your review and for taking the time to share your experience with other TripAdvisor members. I do hope if you are visiting the area again that you will consider staying with us.

Reviewed October 20, 2013

situated, literally in the middle of nowhere, the drive there was a bit hairy in the dark. The rooms were spacious but i had not thought to book ground floor as i assumed every hotel has a lift, Not this one, and my 87 year old mother in laws room was on the first floor. we offered to swop but the deluxe room on the ground floor over powered her in its size. I expected more form devere, only away overnight i did not pack shampoo - nor was there any complimentary hair care products. The barman obviously did not know how to serve sherry as he poured mum a large wine glass full - well at least she was tipsy as she tried to get up the stairs to bed. we reported a problem with the taps which was not addressed. Not somewhere i would go back to

Room Tip: remember if your mobility is restricted there is no lift so ask for a ground floor room
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
conway_chris, Front of House Manager at Denham Grove, responded to this reviewResponded October 26, 2013

Dear Marie R,

Thank you for taking the time to share you experience of Denham Grove on TripAdvisor. I am sorry to hear that Denham Grove was not what you expected and I appreciate you sharing your thoughts.

I have spoken to our Food & Beverage Management team regarding your feedback and they are organising additional training for the team. With regards to the issues you had with our bedrooms, I believe the Receptionist did try to accommodate you in a ground floor room; it is unfortunate that this bedroom was too large for your Mother. We do ask that when guests are booking if they do have any specific requirements to inform us so we can ensure the correct bedrooms are allocated.

Thank you again for your review.

Reviewed October 20, 2013

Here on business. Room is very small and reminds me of a cheap hotel in the States. When every light is on in the room at night, you are barely able to read. No elevator, so those of us on the second floor are out of luck. The worst part of the hotel is the pub and restaurant. In three separate occasions the pub didn't have the beer I wanted or three of my first choices on the menu. The restaurant has delusions of grandeur at least based on the price fixed meal, which is served cafeteria style. The food for the most part was bland and overcooked having sat on steam tables all evening. Most of the tables are high, with backless stools to sit on. Nobody wants to sit on them because they are uncomfortable, so the regular tables with real chairs fill up first. The hotel feels and looks dirty. It's in need of better management and a better food and beverage director. Can't wait not to come back here.

Room Tip: Since no elevator, recommend first floor. I'm not sure if they have bigger rooms since everyone...

Dear WCB2013,

Thank you for your review – we do appreciate all the feedback we receive.

I am sorry you left us after your week long stay feeling dissatisfied and that Denham Grove is a horrible place to stay.

I do appreciate the comments you make and have discussed these with my colleagues to ensure we learn from your feedback. There are obviously some issues you list that we are unable to resolve such as; not having an elevator and the size of our bedrooms. With regards to some of the comments you make we truly are passionate about the food and drink we serve and would like all of our guests to leave having enjoyed their dining experience – we do encourage guests to provide us with feedback and had this been done we would of course accommodated you on a lower table and spoken to you about our menu to see if we could offer an alternative meal.

Thank you again for your feedback.

Reviewed October 1, 2013

We had previously enjoyed a stay at this hotel before and when a visit to our family, who had moved to a residence in the area, was arranged this hotel was ideally placed for the purpose, particularly as the family's house had insufficient space to house extra guests. The location is well away from the busy roads nearby although the approach road is narrow in places but fortunately light with traffic. Denham airfield is nearby but, apart from the occasional helicopter, there is little or no aircraft noise.

The hotel is definitely a favoured venue for conferences, meetings and functions and the room sizes seem more appropriate for single occupancy by delegates at business meetings and the like. All the signs were that this was really a single room (when, for example, the bathroom towel rail wasn't big enough for two bath towels, there was only one plastic "glass" in the bathroom for toothbrushes, etc., one shower gel container and only one chair available in the room itself. But the room was taken and paid for as a double booking.

There are larger rooms on the site and, if we are to visit and stay as a couple in the future, we have decided that it might be worthwhile to keep a note of the numbers of those larger rooms for booking purposes!

The bed was certainly comfortable and big enough for two, but the room itself was decidedly on the small side. The bed was lined up with a bed-head which was attached to the wall. Result ...... the space at one side, between bed and wall, was a mere eighteen inches whilst that on the opposite side was nearer to three feet to the wall. There is little space for suitcases, (no racks or "under-bed" storage space, for example), even though we had booked as a couple. There is not sufficient room on the one chair to put clothes overnight and the built-in wardrobe houses the ironing board, iron and an electric fan (no air-conditioning) and no safe, as available in other rooms. There was only one bedside light but two bedside cabinets, rather annoying when one wants to go to sleep before the other!

As refurbishment is stated to be underway as a continuing process perhaps some attention could be given to these shortcomings when the smaller rooms are refurbished, together with greater attention to detail by the housekeeping staff.

Room Tip: Check details of the room offered before confirming your booking.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jacksboy

Dear jacksboy,

Thank you for your review and for sharing your thoughts on TripAdvisor.

As you rightly point out there is little noise disruption from the small airfield down the road from us and we are truthfully speaking a conference/business/events orientated property, so some of our bedrooms are on the smaller side. However, I do take onboard the points you make about the issues we do have control over and can change. I have spoken with the Housekeeping Manager at Denham Grove and asked that the team look carefully at the number of occupants in a bedroom so that it is set correctly and also report any missing items, such as; bedside lights so we can have these replaced.

Thank you again for your thoughts and I do hope you will consider a further stay with us.

Reviewed September 30, 2013

Stayed one night 24th August 2013 while we attended a family party nearby. Hotel was fine; staff very friendly and helpful. It was very packed to the hilt as there was a convention of some sort on, but once we found a table in the restaurant in the morning breakfast was excellent. Only one small complaint; it was a little difficult to find the location coming in from the Rickmansworth road, maybe a sign or two would help. Would definitely stay again if in the area.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear NickPFrance,

Thanks you for sharing your experiences of Denham Grove with fellow TripAdvisor members – we do appreciate al the feedback we receive.

It was a pleasure to read all of the positive points you list and you review along with all our other feedback has been displayed for the staff at Denham Grove to review. There is some directional signage to ourselves, however, I appreciate your comment that extra signage would be helpful and I will certainly be looking into this.

Thank you again for your review of Denham Grove.

Front of House Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Denham
Crowne Plaza Gerrards Cross
Ethorpe Hotel
Ethorpe Hotel
#2 of 5 in Gerrards Cross
Premier Inn Uxbridge Hotel

Been to Denham Grove? Share your experiences!