“A great place to stay overnight!”
Review of Tilehouse Lodge

Tilehouse Lodge
Ranked #1 of 3 Denham B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 2, 2014

I thought it was about time I left a review as I have stayed here about once per month for the last three years. Tilehouse is something a little different from the Premier Inn type soulless alternatives. This place is funky, cool and yet homely. The rooms, and I've stayed in pretty much all of them are well furnished and comfortable. Most are en suites but if they are not available, the bathroom is not far away and the non en suite rooms are priced to reflect the fact they are what they are. Breakfast is a lot better than you would expect to get from a B&B for the rate you pay. In fact, it is brilliant and I thoroughly recommend the free range eggs laid on site by the Tilehouse hens.

I have witnessed, on countless occasions, whilst I've been using the dining room to check my emails etc on my laptop the overwhelming hospitality and welcome offered by Louisa (the owner) to all of her guests. Nothing is too much for her and Louisa goes "the extra mile" when it comes to making sure her guests are well catered for as second nature.

Just down the other end of Tilehouse Lane (about 2 miles) is the upmarket village of Denham with it's gastro pubs. The Fat Cow in particular is a favouite of mine for a good dinner and a glass or two of wine. In fact, although I use Tilehouse for business stays normally, I took my wife here last year for our anniversary and Louisa took the time to pick us up from the Fat Cow after our dinner and gave us a lift back to The Tilehouse. Can't say that has ever happened when I've stayed at a Premier Inn! In this case, Louisa went "the extra two miles". That said, don't you all expect Louisa to run you about if you stay here. The girls got to have some time to herself.

I have noticed a few negative reviews on this site and can only think the people that have left them should in future stay at the many other soulless hotel/B&B alternatives in the area. Tilehouse is too cool for you guys. I once couldn't get a room at The Tilehouse as I hadn't booked and stayed in a nice christian B&B up the road where I was expected to take my shoes off when I came in the front door, wasn't allowed to take back a take away and the owners stayed locked away in their own living quarters. You negative people, go stay there, you will love it! Louisa works her socks off for all that stay here but as the old adage goes, although Louisa tries her best "you can't keep everyone happy all of the time".

Personally,I'm looking forward to my next overnight stay. Tilehouse has soul!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
4  Thank John B

Reviewed January 1, 2014

Decided to stay here for NYE with my GF based on the reviews and competitive price.
The room was very well furnished and felt homely. Bed was very comfortable and we got a very peaceful nights sleep. The hostess was very friendly and happy to answer and questions. I would highly recommend staying here.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Antonio P
Reviewed December 20, 2013

i stayed here as it was near my job, compared everywhere nearby which was either over priced or fell down after reading reviews. room was great value for money, great parking, spotlessly clean throughout, and very friendly staff/family. add in free WiFi and the fact you can use the gym and pool facilities in the adjacent 4 star hotel and its a winner in every respect,only regret that i wasn't able to stay for the cooked breakfast that had been raved about in earlier reviews, as i had an early departure. cant recommend this place anymore!

Room Tip: you can use the adjacent 4 star hotels gym and pool facilities
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed December 5, 2013

Having Stayed at Tilehouse Lodge on a number of occasions when in London on Business I can honestly say that I found the experience to be an enjoyable one. Both the accomodation and location are lovely, the rooms are furnished to a very high standard and the bed's are extremely comfortable. Breakfast was served on time and cooked to perfection (you can also chose from cereals and juices). Room rates are extremely competitive, in fact you get premium quality at a very affordable price. The landlady was also very helpful and even arranged taxis for me to get to my meetings on time. parking spaces were a bit limited but a minor niggle. All in all a First Class B&B and Highly Recommended!!
F. Lawson, Trowbridge, Wilts

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed December 2, 2013

Lovely house and style of decoration. There was however a terrible draught under the external door which made the room very cold.
Breakfast was very disappointing as the cook arrived late so was in a hurry.

We were expected to make our own instant coffee and tea from the kettle in the room, no filter available. We had to ask to fill it. Again the toast we were expected to do from cheap plastic bread.
We has to wait a long time for the cooked breakfast, no choice of how the eggs were cooked. It was just put on the side for us to serve into cold plates.
The marmite and tomato ketchup bottles were both put in the table empty and there were no replacements available.

It could be an amazing stay but the breakfast let the stay down and spoilt the overall experience.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank 1Excitedtourist
Tilehouse, Owner at Tilehouse Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded December 22, 2013

Firstly I’m sorry that you considered your experience staying at Tilehouse Lodge to be a 'poor' one. There a couple of points you have made which I would like to reply to.

Firstly, As you have stated, there was a draft under the door as a guest pulled the permanent draft excluder off with some luggage. I had temporarily replaced it with a large material draft excluder which worked perfectly well and was in the room at the time. I’m not sure why you wouldn't have used it?

Secondly, your large group of people all came to breakfast at the same time, and as you are no doubt aware, Tilehouse Lodge is a small guest house. I do not have an industrial kitchen or catering staff. Preparing a cooked breakfast for that many guests at once is really very difficult, moreover, had I asked everyone their preference of eggs or tea and filter coffee it would have been in fact impossible.

I could of course, have employed extra staff to cater for your group but this would then have increased your room rate and you would have had to pay a lot more than £49 per double en suite with breakfast which I am sure you would not have liked either.

I would suggest the next time you need to stay somewhere as a large group you should consider paying the extra money and stay in a hotel. I am not sure any small guest house is fully equipped to cater to cater for such a large party as I know I certainly tried my hardest to make you happy.

Reviewed December 1, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for one night after a party in harefield and I'm glad I chose the Tilehouse. The property is in a very quiet rural lane and is beautifully decorated. Our double ensuite room was furnished to a very high standard and the best part was the price: £55! The hostess was lovely and very helpful with cab numbers and the breakfast was very generous and cooked fresh. Thank you for a lovely stay!

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 28, 2013

We carefully considered our options before booking with Tilehouse, so our expectations were set and we were very disappointed. The room we were led to had not been cleaned, this was obvious with the dirty carpet, rubbish in the waste bin, wet pillowcases and stained towels. The bathroom was dirty too, with damp on the walls which had erroded the paint and plaster, pubic hair in the shower and dead flies in the bath. A wedding at the DeVeres hotel at the back of the hotel went on till early hours. With loud music that you could hear clearly within the room and had a huge and very loud firework display over the top of the lodge. Given that the room was so small and the evening was warm, we were unable to open any windows, although it didn't matter as the noise level was the same with the windows open or closed! We felt we had no option but to complaint to our hostess a number of times, until it stopped. Breakfast was equally disappointing and on entering the breakfast room, the resident cat was lounging on the communal table cleaning itself and the bread was mouldy after being left out all night. Given fresh bread, I made some toast and a cup of coffee! From the advertising material and reviews I expected the basic standards of a b&b, but left feeling bitterly disappointed and very, very tired.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank EBertie
Tilehouse, Owner at Tilehouse Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded December 11, 2013

I am very upset to read your review. However I am not surprised as I am aware of the issues you encountered. I would like to take this opportunity to explain some of the issues and of course apologise for others. Firstly, the noise at the neighbouring hotel. This, I can assure is not a regular occurrence, in fact it has not once been a problem before. The hotels air conditioning had broken down, they therefore were forced to open all the doors and windows (due to it being a very hot evening) in their functioning hall which was the cause of the problem. After your complaint, I went to the hotel and resolved the issue, the music was turned off. The fireworks were early in the evening and there was not really a lot I could do about that, they are allowed to set fireworks off before 9pm legally. Again fireworks are not a regular occurrence at the hotel, maybe once or twice a year and always before 9pm. You have mentioned the bathroom was not clean. As you are aware you opted for a cheaper room with a shared bathroom. As much as i try, this is impossible to keep clean 100% of the time as it is shared by other guests. The pillow cases being damp, I know was explained to you at the time, but just to reiterate. They come back slightly damp from the laundry in order to be pressed effectively. They had not been pressed on the correct heat level and had therefore had not dried enough and were still slightly damp. This is, I except not good enough and they should not have been put on the bed. The room being dirty, again not acceptable however this has never happened before and would not happen again. I had a cleaner at the time that wasn't very good. I should have checked the room before your arrival... I have learnt a very valid lesson. One of the towels was slightly stained and was replaced, this is sometimes difficult with small stains as other than check every towel after being laundered im not sure how it can be avoided. Breakfast, I leave the bread out overnight in case any of my guests want to help themselves to toast early in the morning before breakfast starts or if they are peckish in the evening. Fresh bread is always provided in the morning. Due to your reduced rate a cooked breakfast was not provided. I would like to offer you a complimentary nights stay in one of our superior rooms to prove to you the problems you encountered are not an every day occurrence at Tilehouse Lodge and I hope you can accept my sincerest apologies.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Denham
Denham Grove
Crowne Plaza Gerrards Cross
Crowne Plaza Gerrards Cross
#1 of 7 in Beaconsfield
Travelodge Uxbridge Central

Been to Tilehouse Lodge? Share your experiences!