“A Most Excellent Experience!!”
Review of Tilehouse Lodge

Tilehouse Lodge
Ranked #1 of 3 Denham B&B and Inns
Trowbridge, United Kingdom
“A Most Excellent Experience!!”
Reviewed December 5, 2013

Having Stayed at Tilehouse Lodge on a number of occasions when in London on Business I can honestly say that I found the experience to be an enjoyable one. Both the accomodation and location are lovely, the rooms are furnished to a very high standard and the bed's are extremely comfortable. Breakfast was served on time and cooked to perfection (you can also chose from cereals and juices). Room rates are extremely competitive, in fact you get premium quality at a very affordable price. The landlady was also very helpful and even arranged taxis for me to get to my meetings on time. parking spaces were a bit limited but a minor niggle. All in all a First Class B&B and Highly Recommended!!
F. Lawson, Trowbridge, Wilts

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 2, 2013

Lovely house and style of decoration. There was however a terrible draught under the external door which made the room very cold.
Breakfast was very disappointing as the cook arrived late so was in a hurry.

We were expected to make our own instant coffee and tea from the kettle in the room, no filter available. We had to ask to fill it. Again the toast we were expected to do from cheap plastic bread.
We has to wait a long time for the cooked breakfast, no choice of how the eggs were cooked. It was just put on the side for us to serve into cold plates.
The marmite and tomato ketchup bottles were both put in the table empty and there were no replacements available.

It could be an amazing stay but the breakfast let the stay down and spoilt the overall experience.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank 1Excitedtourist
Tilehouse, Owner at Tilehouse Lodge, responded to this review, December 22, 2013
Firstly I’m sorry that you considered your experience staying at Tilehouse Lodge to be a 'poor' one. There a couple of points you have made which I would like to reply to.

Firstly, As you have stated, there was a draft under the door as a guest pulled the permanent draft excluder off with some luggage. I had temporarily replaced it with a large material draft excluder which worked perfectly well and was in the room at the time. I’m not sure why you wouldn't have used it?

Secondly, your large group of people all came to breakfast at the same time, and as you are no doubt aware, Tilehouse Lodge is a small guest house. I do not have an industrial kitchen or catering staff. Preparing a cooked breakfast for that many guests at once is really very difficult, moreover, had I asked everyone their preference of eggs or tea and filter coffee it would have been in fact impossible.

I could of course, have employed extra staff to cater for your group but this would then have increased your room rate and you would have had to pay a lot more than £49 per double en suite with breakfast which I am sure you would not have liked either.

I would suggest the next time you need to stay somewhere as a large group you should consider paying the extra money and stay in a hotel. I am not sure any small guest house is fully equipped to cater to cater for such a large party as I know I certainly tried my hardest to make you happy.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 1, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for one night after a party in harefield and I'm glad I chose the Tilehouse. The property is in a very quiet rural lane and is beautifully decorated. Our double ensuite room was furnished to a very high standard and the best part was the price: £55! The hostess was lovely and very helpful with cab numbers and the breakfast was very generous and cooked fresh. Thank you for a lovely stay!

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
NorthEastEngland
Reviewed November 28, 2013

We carefully considered our options before booking with Tilehouse, so our expectations were set and we were very disappointed. The room we were led to had not been cleaned, this was obvious with the dirty carpet, rubbish in the waste bin, wet pillowcases and stained towels. The bathroom was dirty too, with damp on the walls which had erroded the paint and plaster, pubic hair in the shower and dead flies in the bath. A wedding at the DeVeres hotel at the back of the hotel went on till early hours. With loud music that you could hear clearly within the room and had a huge and very loud firework display over the top of the lodge. Given that the room was so small and the evening was warm, we were unable to open any windows, although it didn't matter as the noise level was the same with the windows open or closed! We felt we had no option but to complaint to our hostess a number of times, until it stopped. Breakfast was equally disappointing and on entering the breakfast room, the resident cat was lounging on the communal table cleaning itself and the bread was mouldy after being left out all night. Given fresh bread, I made some toast and a cup of coffee! From the advertising material and reviews I expected the basic standards of a b&b, but left feeling bitterly disappointed and very, very tired.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank EBertie
Tilehouse, Owner at Tilehouse Lodge, responded to this review, December 11, 2013
I am very upset to read your review. However I am not surprised as I am aware of the issues you encountered. I would like to take this opportunity to explain some of the issues and of course apologise for others. Firstly, the noise at the neighbouring hotel. This, I can assure is not a regular occurrence, in fact it has not once been a problem before. The hotels air conditioning had broken down, they therefore were forced to open all the doors and windows (due to it being a very hot evening) in their functioning hall which was the cause of the problem. After your complaint, I went to the hotel and resolved the issue, the music was turned off. The fireworks were early in the evening and there was not really a lot I could do about that, they are allowed to set fireworks off before 9pm legally. Again fireworks are not a regular occurrence at the hotel, maybe once or twice a year and always before 9pm. You have mentioned the bathroom was not clean. As you are aware you opted for a cheaper room with a shared bathroom. As much as i try, this is impossible to keep clean 100% of the time as it is shared by other guests. The pillow cases being damp, I know was explained to you at the time, but just to reiterate. They come back slightly damp from the laundry in order to be pressed effectively. They had not been pressed on the correct heat level and had therefore had not dried enough and were still slightly damp. This is, I except not good enough and they should not have been put on the bed. The room being dirty, again not acceptable however this has never happened before and would not happen again. I had a cleaner at the time that wasn't very good. I should have checked the room before your arrival... I have learnt a very valid lesson. One of the towels was slightly stained and was replaced, this is sometimes difficult with small stains as other than check every towel after being laundered im not sure how it can be avoided. Breakfast, I leave the bread out overnight in case any of my guests want to help themselves to toast early in the morning before breakfast starts or if they are peckish in the evening. Fresh bread is always provided in the morning. Due to your reduced rate a cooked breakfast was not provided. I would like to offer you a complimentary nights stay in one of our superior rooms to prove to you the problems you encountered are not an every day occurrence at Tilehouse Lodge and I hope you can accept my sincerest apologies.
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 25, 2013

This was a last minute booking for us. The room was immaculate and perfectly clean with tea and coffee facilities for us.. Louisa had a warm friendly welcome for us shortly after we arrived.I loved how the rooms are decorated,the bed was lovely and comfy.Great value for money and a nice breakfast at a flexible time to suit us. Thoroughly enjoyed our stay and the use of the next door swimming pool was a nice added bonus.Highly recommend a stay

Room Tip: Remember to ask for an en-suite room and the lovely bath.We stayed upstairs
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 28, 2013

Louisa is very friendly and welcoming.The rooms were all furnished beautifully in a contemporary style and very clean and fresh.The bed was really comfortable.The lodge is in a lovely location,quiet and peaceful.The breakfast was lovely with fresh eggs from the free range hens.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank manders54
Marlow, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 15, 2013

Tilehouse Lodge for value & quality is completely unbeatable, a very lovely young lady called Louisa runs the place, it's like staying in a country cottage & only minutes from the M40, M25,
which is so handy, the breakfast is great with their own fresh free range eggs, clean, friendly
& like staying at a friends house. I have just read the the "bizarre experience" review of a guest
the rabbit story was very funny & shows the kindness of the owner Louisa, "large room large TV
beautiful view & nice breakfast" but then complains of paying £65 for two people for one night !!!
That is what I call Bizarre, Louisa, if you do read these reviews, please take no notice of crazy
reviews like that, read all the other reviews & especially mine, I really appreciate your lovely B&B
& look forward to staying there every time, in fact it gets better every time. Thank-you.

Room Tip: All the rooms are good, well, the 4 that I have stayed in are, I prefer the rooms upstairs as you h...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Denham
Denham Grove
Hotel ibis budget Beaconsfield
The Bull Hotel
The Bull Hotel
#1 of 5 in Gerrards Cross

Been to Tilehouse Lodge? Share your experiences!