“Amazing views and wonderful staff.”
Review of Balestrand Hotel

Balestrand Hotel
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Balestrand
Maryland
“Amazing views and wonderful staff.”
Reviewed August 30, 2012

The Balestrand is a wonderful family run hotel. We paid extra for rooms with a view and balcony and it was totally worth it. The view is up the Sognefjord and absolutely stunning. It was lovely to sit on the balcony in the evening enjoying a glass of wine or beer (cheerfully supplied by the front desk). The breakfast was very good and there is a very nice lounge area and outside seating area, all with a view of the Sognefjord. The rooms were a good size and the beds very comfortable. We chose this hotel over the huge Kviknes hotel(full of tour groups) and we were so glad we did. The service was so personal and Unni-Marie was happy to make reservations for us at a local restaurant, and call ahead to make arrangements for us to visit a local enamel artist. She also answered all my questions in emails before the trip relating to car rental and laundry etc. Our stay at the Balestrand Hotel was the highlight of our trip because of the location and the hospitality.

Room Tip: Splurge on a room with a view, it comes with a balcony and a stunning view, you won't regret it.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Cararmme

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed August 27, 2012

We stayed at the Balestrand Hotel on the way to Bergen. Overall, the stay was pretty good. The proprietors were very nice and helpful in assisting us in booking a dinner reservation at a local restaurant (Cider House is amazing - eat here, you won't be disappointed!) The picked us and our bags up promptly at the ferry so we didn't need to drag them to the hotel. The walk is not too far, about 5 minutes from the port.

The reason I give this hotel four stars instead of three is because of the incredible views - the hotel is set right across the street from the water and is amazing to look out the window in the morning and evening - gorgeous views of the fjords.

The reason I give it a bit lower of a rating is because of the standard in the hotel - it has the feeling of a relatively old college dorm building in need of renovation. There is not much character in the hallways or rooms (or lobby) and for the price, I think it would have been nicer to have a bit more "local charm" infused in the rooms. They are very basic. There was also a hazardous lip on the way into our bathroom that we both tripped on numerous times, with a nail sticking out one side...not so good. The other hotels we walked by in town seemed to have a bit more of the local charm that I would have probably preferred for a stay in such a sleepy village. But, this may only be personal preference.

Unfortunately, we overslept so we didn't get to experience the breakfast in the morning, but my parents said it was adequate.

Overall, meets your needs, but will not impress you or go above and beyond.

Room Tip: Pay extra money to have a room with a view - it's worth it.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Schaffhausen, Switzerland
Reviewed August 19, 2012 via mobile

This is very nice hotel in a beautiful setting, but what we were impressed the most was the incredible service. The owners went above and beyond to help us out, first with great assistance with information weeks before the trip, and during our stay they were amazing helping us face an inconvenience we got with a boat tour that broke down (they even packed our stuff and brought it to the port so that we wouldn't miss a tight connection we had). They were fantastic, I recommend this hotel, it is very clean, and the fjord where it sits is magnificent.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed August 13, 2012

We really enjoyed the stay at this family ran hotel. It felt like visiting a family. The owners were on site including their teenage daughter, the owner waits for guests at the ferry and takes their luggage in his car up the hill to the hotel. You can walk as well, is very close but they really go a step beyond to make guests feel at home.

The hotel is impecably ran, clean, the owners are very helpful with suggestions to trips and excursions in the area and the breakfast was yummy....:-)

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Michigan
Reviewed August 12, 2012

I *splurged* (for me) for a fjord view room in this hotel and was glad I did. Private balconies with a lovely view of the fjord. This is a very nice, very clean, friendly hotel. For about $140, I got a large room, a private bathroom with a bathtub, and a bureau to store clothes, an armchair, a closet, and a terrifc balcony. Breakfasts are included and very large. Unni Marie and family are very friendly and helpful, there's a large reading room and an area to watch the large screen TV. While Balestrand is a little quiet for two nights (though I really got to relax), the hotel is a great stay. I got a look at the famous Kviknes and would never stay in their run down looking 60s still motel rooms...Balestrand Hotel was a great deal!

Room Tip: Splurge a little...get a fjord side room for the view. Otherwise, it is quiet all over the hotel.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Atlanta
Reviewed July 30, 2012

I know everyone has praised this hotel to the heavens and if you are staying in Balestrand I would still highly recommend it. Making our reservation was a breeze and everyone was very helpful with our planning. The rooms are clean, comfortable, and quiet. There is a computer located in the B&B styled "living room" which is also very convenient and appreciated. Breakast was typical Scandinavian fare and good. We were met as promised on our arrival by Ferry and were dropped off the next morning in time to take the Ferry to Bergen. The family was very nice and polite and all of our requests were met. Even I feel small not to give it an excellent...
Now for some nit picking: we did not bring a hair dryer with us because of the current differences. I looked around the bathroom and the closets and there was none to be found. So I had to request one from the front desk. There was no problem giving us one, but why doesn't every room have a hair dryer? All hotels and B&B's I have stayed at in Europe no matter the room price provided hairdryers in the room. I was just very surprised and glad I did not discover this when I was soaking wet out of the tub late in the evening.
And this from my husband: There was a sign at breakfast that warned everyone not to make a lunch out of the food - it was only for breakfast. Now, as someone else pointed out, if you missed breakfast, then I am sure it was allowed. But I don't see that as a perk - if you missed breakfast you should be able to take some for lunch. When we stayed in Oslo, we asked and were allowed to take an extra croissant and apple with us for lunch on the train when we departed our hotel. My husband thought the sign was tacky.....
Not really complaints, but these were small things that keep me from saying excellent.

Room Tip: We did not ask for a room with a view as we were there only one night. As the weather was not good...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DLRGA
White Plains, New York
Reviewed July 28, 2012

Don't let the palin exterior fool you - this family-run hotel has the heart and soul of a true Bed and Breakfast. From the first greeting when we walked in through the simple but delicious breakfast - we loved being here. I stopped by the fancier hotel in town, and was so very glad I chose the Balestrand Hotel instead!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank scizin
Also consider these accommodations in or near Balestrand
Kviknes Hotel
#1 of 1 in Solvorn
Gudvangen Fjordtell
Gudvangen Fjordtell
#1 of 1 in Gudvangen

Been to Balestrand Hotel? Share your experiences!