“Arrogant service”

Engo Gard
Ranked #1 of 7 Restaurants in Tjome
Cuisines: French, Norwegian, Scandinavian
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Digital Payments, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: The restaurant at Engo Gard is inspired by both french and nordic cousine with the use of local produce. Menus at Engo Gard are set by the chef in advance. Hence most of our guests place responsibility firmly in our hands when it comes to choosing food and wine. This requires a great commitment on our part as we must constantly focus our knowledge and ideas on providing the best possible combination of dishes and wines. The restaurant and hotel are open all year.
“Arrogant service”
Reviewed August 28, 2014

We´ve been to Engo Gard at several times over the last few years, both staying the night and eating at their restaurant.
This time I was very disappointed with their service level, to that extent that I really won't be getting back anytime soon.

Took my mother and grandmother for lunch on a weekday. I did intend to reserve a table in advance , but we decided last minute on going and decided to take a chance.

When we arrived we asked a nice, young girl if they could seat us for lunch. She replied that she thought they had an opening, but would have to check. We waited a little while and then the maitre´D came to us and told us they were full for lunch, but we could sit just around the corner. That was perfectly fine by us, but he then left and I was unsure where he wanted us to sit and had to track him down to ask. It would have taken him 10 seconds to show us to the table.
We got 1 menu to look at, why not give us one each?

After 20 minutes with no sign of a waiter and no water or bread basket, I went to find the Maitre´D to ask if we could place our orders soon. He then replied very annoyed "I told you we were full for lunch, and if you wanted to be served you would have to wait. I´ll get to you when I find the time." It was totally my fault for not having heard this info when I asked for a table, but to my defense he spoke Danish which is not always easy to comprehend. Never the less, I actually got quite upset by being talked to like this. As a waiter you are never under any circumstances entitled to making your guest feel bad and treat them like that.
After 10 minutes or so, the nice waitress came to take our orders and gave us water and a bread basket.

The starters arrived pretty quickly, but we were not told what was on the plate. Not for the main course or the dessert either. This is something they usually do. With some exceptions, the food was a real disappointment. The antipasti plate was badly presented and looked unfresh. A ton of olives and a few stuck together pieces of charcuterie. The cheese was good however. Also my grandmother´s vichyssoise was extremely tasty and well presented. So was her tartar for main course. Our ceasar salads were very unimpressive. For dessert we had tart au citron with meringue. The crust was though and chewy and the lemon curd lacked acidity, but worst was that 2/3 of the small scoop of ice-cream had melted when they served it to us.

My grandmother was not given cutlery for her main dish and had to asked for it. When serving the dessert non of us had spoons. I offered to use our spoons served with the coffee, and the waiter seemed happy to not have to get spoons for us. My mother didn´t have a spoon served with her coffee, which I realized after the waiter had left, so she had to use the spoon that was in the sugar bowl. This is really low level of service, not even found at budget restaurants.

I´ve always loved this place and recommended it to all my friends and family, but now I´ll really reconsider.

• Visited July 2014

Oslo, Norway
“Definately belong to the Norwegian Top League”
Reviewed July 28, 2014

We called for a reservation and got a table for four same day.

Weather was excellent, and the outdoor environment was really relaxing.
No problem arriving in a boat.

We chose the 7 dish meny, - with an additional foie gras, - together with the wine meny.
The whole meal was excellent, relaxing and vitalizing.
Can absolutely be compared with Maemo and Ylajali (with two and one Michelin stars respectively).

Pricewise the the upper class, - compareable with Ylajali.

The dishes was small but very complex. Each course was a travel in related and matching tastes, which can only come by deep knowledge and daring experiments. Home grown herbs was a plus!

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank Solvar
Oslo, Norway
“Gourmet cuisine in the countryside”
Reviewed December 22, 2013

Engo gard is situated about half an hour from the city of Tonsberg. Public transportation does not run frequently. I reccomend a car, and that you stay the night. It really adds to the experience. And the breakfast is to die for!

We were having dinner here the last day they were open before the holidays.

- Service was excellent. Attentive and knowlegdable. We were really impressed with a young waiter who told us he had finished his training this fall. Didn't catch his name,but he was very pleasant - a keeper. Also, we asked for some subtitutions and alterations, and it was absolutely no problem. Have to give them credit for that.The only downside is that the experience took way too long. A 4-course meal and almost 4,5 hours. My body is not made to sit still for so long, so got a bit to restlest to enjoy the whole meal to it's fullest potential. We did however get compensated for the wait.

- Food was amazing. A bit of traditional cooking and a bit modern with some elements of molecular gastronomy. I must say I like the combo! Enjoyed all of their dishes, but the reindeer and a small dish of sea buckthorn formed as an egg yolk were my favourites. And to go through a plate of smoking fall leaves to find a small ball made of mascarpone and plum was a lot of fun! And their coffee is actually tasty, which most often is not the case even at better restaurants.

- the restaurant is cosy and elegant with a lot of light from large windows, with glimpse of the ocean. The atmosphere is a bit stiff, and the reason is some of the guests not the staff.

Thank you for a great evening!

• Visited December 2013
Los Angeles, California
“Amazing”
Reviewed July 16, 2013

It is perfect on every level. The atmosphere, the food everything. One of my favorite places in Norway

Visited August 2012
Norway
“Fine dining with a view”
Reviewed July 10, 2012

Great food, excellent wines. Inspiration menu and fish menu choices - both great ( so good we ate two nights). As is to be expected in Norway the prices are not exactly a bargain, but you get what you pay for.

Visited July 2012