All reviewstoscanyvillageterracewinecastle
Reviewed August 24, 2014

We chose this hotel because of the reviews on tripadvisor. One of the few hotels who sadly did not live up to the reviews - at least for us!
We stayed here for one night in August and we rate this hotel as average. We had a bad mattress where you could feel every single metal feather (those from the 80s and 90s) which made a good night sleep very difficult. Also the doors were not soundproof at all so you could hear guests clearly across the hall speaking.
Or else the hotel/b&b was absolutely fine: very clean, large rooms, good service normal breakfast (for Italy). However I recommend agritourismo to which we switched for the rest of our stay in the Tuscany!

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 1, 2013 via mobile

We stated here for one night after the Palio in Siena. It was a great value for money, we booked it for a very good price and overall we were happy with it. The staff was nice, they called us in the afternoon to ask when we'll arrive and late arrival was no problem. It was easy to find, half an hour by car from Siena. The B&B is located in the main square it had a nice atmosphere especially at night. Unfortunately hot water was not running as a note at the reception informed us and Internet was not working either. But the room was like in movies about Tuscany, very nice and charming. We had a bottle of chianti on the terrace where the next morning breakfast was also served. It was amazingly calm and nice with a lot of flowers. The receptionist lady helped us a lot the next day with where to go to visit a winery and later to a beach. I can recommend the place.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed July 14, 2013

We stayed here for two nights in July 2013, and had a good experience.

The hotel is in a lovely village in Chianti called Gaiole – the perfect spot for hiking and cycling activities, loads of routes/tours/maps/details provided by the local tourist office in the village (the woman who works there speaks brilliant English). The village is most famous for its two annual cycle events (see Lonely Planet/Wikipedia). The village also contains a couple of restaurants, a supermarket and a couple of magazine shops/tobacconists.

The hotel itself is nice – we had a double room (two single beds pushed together which was a bit annoying) with a small balcony on the ground floor of the hotel. I have to admit, the bed itself was probably the most uncomfortable throughout my whole holiday (could feel the springs in the mattress).The room contained a mini fridge, wardrobe, shelves, ample toiletries (sewing kit, shoe shiner, soap, shampoo). However, the air-con did not work, neither did a lot of the lamps, and there was no light on the ceiling, which culminated in quite a dark room. The TV didn’t work either (didn’t bother us, but might bother others), and there were no kettle/tea making facilities in the room (or in any communal space). Our bathroom was nice, on the small side, with a slightly leaky shower.

Breakfast was good – cereal, croissants (fresh), bread, biscuits, yogurts, juice. The tea/coffee was really good, and probably the best I had throughout my holiday.

Wifi was free, and worked really well (fast/speedy).

I would recommend to anyone wishing to do some walking/cycling activities around Chianti, and want to base themselves in a small village – suitable for young couples/backpackers, small families. For those wanting a bit of ‘night-life’/beach/commercial holidays, or a romantic getaway then this probably isn’t the place for you. I’d happily stay in Gaiole again, probably at this hotel, if touring Chianti.

The main charm of this hotel is its location in Gaiole, so I’m giving it 4 stars largely due to this, and not the hotel itself.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 2, 2013

The room was clean, the staff was inviting, the location was charming, and it felt like a good value. I would highly recommend this to any travelers looking for a place to stay in Gaiole. It is a little difficult to find from the parking lot, but if you calla d ask they will steer you in the right direction. I stayed only one night due to my travel plans, but would return here in a heartbeat!

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed April 8, 2013

This B&B is well situated in the middle of the picturesque village of Gaiole in Chianti. It is approached by a steep flight of stone steps; another downpoint is that there isn't any nearby free parking. The owner gave us a nice welcome and made a much needed cup of tea. Our room was basic but had all the ingredients - comfy bed, wardrobe and chair. The bathroom was small but functional. Breakfast in the morning was typical of the area - sweet pastry, toast and cereal; English guests will look in vain something more substancial - but remember, this is Chianti and what you're getting is authenticity. Overall,this is a good quality B&B & well priced - I think we paid around 70euro per room per night.

Room Tip: Not muchto choose between the rooms.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family