All reviews formal gardens wine tour cooking school cooking class free tour grand piano cooking course small group guided tour breakfast room full kitchen gardens are beautiful historic building wine and olive oil unique experience explore chianti chianti classico
Reviewed June 20, 2011

My husband and I stayed here for three nights as part of our honeymoon. All I can say is wow! The accommodations were rustic, yet generous. The surrounding environment was one of the most peaceful places I've ever been. I am a big outdoors person and my husband and I love the simple life, so we were very much impressed with our stay here. The restaurant was the best we had during our 2 week stay in Italy! The food was exceptional, prepared perfectly, and the service was beyond compare. My husband and I have already decided that we will be returning to the inn and restaurant on our 20th anniversary! Our stay here was truly one that will live in my memory forever :)

Date of stay: July 2010
Reviewed April 6, 2011

We did not stay in the accommodations aswe had a villa but was recommended the Badia restaurant. Ended up dating the day walking the lovely grounds, Church, store with wine tasting. All 8 of us loved the restaurant. Amazed by the creative & delicious Pumpkin Ravioli. Regretted not ordering another order for later on - still do. We just drank a bottle of Sangiovese we enjoyed with our meal & relived some of the experience.

Date of stay: October 2010
Reviewed January 1, 2011

This is a charming hotel, with an intriguing history, large well-furnished rooms and comfortable beds. The grounds are beautiful and the staff very helpful. The highlight of our visit was dinner at the adjacent restaurant. The 50 euro tasting menu consists of five courses, each accompanied by a different wine. The food was exquisite and the wine ranged from good to excellent. This was one of the best meals we had during our visit to Italy, and better value than most. The only downside to our experience was that the ensuite bathroom was old and seemed to be having septic problems during our stay. Whenever we flushed the toilet, it emitted a horrible smell for a half-hour afterward, a problem we resolved by shutting the bathroom door.

Date of stay: October 2010
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 4, 2010

When it's time to completely switch off - from the beeping handphone, Blackberry, the Google alerts, and tune into solitude, take the turn off that says Badia a Coltibuono. Tucked away off the main road somewhere between Florence and Sienna and amidst some of the most God blessed places on earth, this retreat promises time to unwind, eat, drink and simply feast on the loveliness of the Tuscan countryside.
If you are prepared to "slow food" your lunch at half past 2 in the afternoon you will enjoy the cooking program they offer.Here, resident chef, Andrea, makes you roll up your sleeves, slice, dice and make your own pasta, in a fun and entertaining but 'you will learn something' way.
Not for the clock watchers, those uptight with keeping to the schedule and in a hurry!

Date of stay: September 2010
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
2  Thank paulinecheah
Reviewed September 25, 2010

This is just an incredible place. Our family of four stayed in the granary and loved it. It really was the highlight of a great family trip to Italy. There is beauty everywhere you look. Our teenage and tweener daughters were taken by it - one of them was inspired to start writing a mystery in one of the large public rooms. I could see someone accustomed to white glove conditions not finding it to their liking, as it feels like a place in the country, not a sanitized hotel room. I don't know what the regular rooms are like, as the granary, where we stayed, is a large 4-bedroom apartment with plenty of space (including books, kitchen). But we were knocked out. When you add in the history of the place, the wine, the still-functioning church, the cloister courtyard with a well, the lovely breakfast room, the view over the valley, the secluded pool, and the unbelievable restaurant - for us, it was heaven.

Date of stay: August 2010