My husband and I attended a wine tasting with tour at Casello di Meleto and had lunch at their restaurant at the bottom of the hill. The grounds are beautiful and very romantic, perfect for a wedding or joyous occasion. Inside the castle it is exactly as you might imagine, with a slightly musty smell, walls with layer upon layer of paint, antique items that are less for a museum and more for a sense of character of the place, and more. There is a home theater where the family used to have plays performed in their home, and then of course the wine cellar, which includes a tunnel that is blockaded--great food for the imagination. The wines we tasted were lovely, and the price for this was very affordable and included a bottle of chianto classico. We would like to return to Sienna again and hope to stay here. We also really enjoyed the restaurant, which had all the dishes described and named, as well as created, in artistic ways. When we approached the restaurant, classical music was floating out the front door inviting us inside. It was really a treat. Those prices were not cheap, but the food was delicious and unique.
The reason this review doesn't include 5 stars is that it is exceptionally difficult to find the place. We had a map which was part of a Meleto leaflet I picked up at our hotel, but that map only gave a vague idea of where the castle is. The main road has a sign for the castle, but that sign is not related to the turn, which will be on your right coming from Sienna, not your left, and the sign is more than a mile from that turn. Quite misleading! We spent a futile afternoon driving around and trying to find it one day, and then returned the next and were successful. Our efforts were rewarded, but they really ought to consider including more helpful directions on their promotional materials and road signs.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Castello di Meleto is in the center of an ideal geographical triangle formed by the cities of Siena, Florence and Arezzo. Surrounded by six beautiful houses, painstakingly restored in 2000, preserving its rustic Tuscan style. Each house has a private garden or terrace that overlooks the countryside surrounded by green vineyards and olive groves.Easily accessible and close to the accommodation we have two infinity pools from which you can enjoy an unforgettable view. In the basement of the castle, a real historical monument, a charming wine shop allows you to taste our wines, our organic extra virgin olive oil and salami of Cinta Senese from our farm. On request we can organize banquets in medieval and Renaissance style in the picturesque setting of the frescoed rooms. In addition, daily guided tours of the ground floor of the castle, the eighteenth-century theater, the dungeons with ancient cellars, prisons and the secret tunnel to escape from the Castle .. will make you to live an unique and unforgettable experience in a real castle in the Chianti area.Daily walks are possible on roads and paths in the area.From the same roads, the "Eroica”, an fascinating extreme racing with vintage bikes, takes place every year.The staff of the Reception of the Castle will be pleased to arrange excursions departing from the Castello di Meleto to major art centers such as Florence, Siena, San Gimignano, Arezzo and Val D'Orcia. On the territory of the Castle of Meleto guests can enjoy cycling, horse riding and walking, immersed in pristine nature of the Chianti hills. Our restaurant, “ La Fornace di Meleto” , at the bottom of the hill, offers typical Tuscan menu and innovative dishes.The Castle's history is also a history of Weddings, such as those of Alberto Ridolfi's daughter Lucrezia and, in 1852, Baron Bettino's daughter Elisabetta: it could also become the history of Your wedding, against a background imbued with extraordinary beauty.Meleto Castle can offer Religious ceremonies in its catholic church, the Pieve di Spaltenna.The Celebrations can be organized as you wish: the entire Piano Nobile (a series of furnished and frescoed rooms) can be put at Guests' disposal together with the garden, a splendid terrace overlooking the unspoilt panorama of the Chianti hills for enjoying a touch of sun, and the Stables ( Scuderia in Italian) , where guests can relax or let themself go in dancing.We specialise in providing the perfect atmosphere for a truly unique party, whether a Tuscan Castle wedding. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Booking.com, Travelocity, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets and TripOnline SA so you can book your Castello di Meleto reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Castello Di Meleto Hotel Gaiole In Chianti
- Castello Di Meleto Italy/Gaiole In Chianti, Tuscany