“Excelent New year's night” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Castellare De' Noveschi

and 1 more site!
Castellare De' Noveschi
sao paulo
“Excelent New year's night”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2012

I went with my partner to spend the New year..The dinner was perfect. Delicious food,..excelent choice of a music trio with jazz, 60, 50's music with a singer wich was making the evening realy special... our camera wasnt just a camera, there was a living room, beautifully decorated, antique but clean tast at the same time...The heating under the floor just made me forget that was winter...good surprise. Outside, good view, in middle of a real borgo.....lovely..

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Santa Monica, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2012

I was staying with friends down the road from San Sano for a couple of months to experience the Italian countryside as I had dreamt of for many years. On one of my daily walks into and through San Sano, I discovered the absolutely magical Castellare de'Noveschi. Barabara, the manager, was at the front desk when I poked my head in to see what this lovely place was all about. She greeted me with such a warm, friendly and welcoming attitude....offering with enthusiasm to show me around this lovely place. I was immediately taken by the unique and charming rooms particularly the ones that overlook the little park, the pretty restaurant with delicious food, the tranquil pool area and the "wine therapy" bath which captured my attention the most. Barbara was so engaging and helpful- I booked a massage and wine therapy treatment for myself for the following week. The massage was not good, although the wine therapy bath was amazing! It is a luxurious and atmospheric experience of soaking in a huge bubbling tub of wine salt extracts with classical music, candles and total privacy. Really special. I would stop by every now and then with questions about the area, restaurants, etc. and Barbara was a total gem. Helpful and caring, going out of her way constantly. I returned for a special dinner in their upstairs private room with a fire blazing and delicious food. Very romantic. The day before I left Chianti, I took a private cooking lesson in their restaurant kitchen with the new chefs and had a wonderful time learning how to make fresh pasta, sauce, chicken...with the warmest guidance in Italian (Barbara helped translate!). I enjoyed the meal that I/we had prepared in their pretty dining room with a delicious glass of wine and was very sad to be leaving this enchanting spot. Also, their bath products (the lotion and body oil) are incredible!I purchased several of each and will treasure them and give as gifts...really special and elegant- they smell and feel silky and beautiful. Overall, my experiences at Castellare de'Noveschi were all very positive and special...I can't wait to return!

Room Tip: Rooms on the highest floor overlooking the little park seem the best.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2011

We only got 3 out of our 7 nights as Barbara (the manager) had cocked up. So we stayed in the neighbouring San Sano Hotel, which is not the same standard at all. We were offered the wine room as an upgrade compensation for our inconvenience, but after seeing the TA comments we declined.

However, the good bits -
pool - gorgeous and hardly ever used, so it was like our own private pool.
accommodation - lovely. If only we had had it for 7 nights......(not sure if we were upgraded or not as we had booked a double suite room and that is what we seemed to be in)
food - on the whole lovely (although breakfast variable) Evening meals handled totally by Andrea the chef and are fantastic value. You get cold chianti included so the total cost is about €40. And the standard is very high, plus Andrea lets you go off piste. Go for the rosemary and red pepper pasta.

Could do better
Slightly worn around the edges in places - pool furniture was very rickety and even broken and just left there
Barbara is very enthusiastic and helpful but not massively accurate - so the trattoria in the village (which is very nice) shuts on a Wed, not a Thurs. The directions to the hotel were not great (and wrong.....the name of the interchange south of florence has changed and is called Imprenuta, or very similar). However, she does really try and get things right and was very nice. Just double check.
No air con - it was 35 degrees every day and a noisy fan did not cut it. And was too loud to keep on at night.

San Sano is very lovely. And for a fabulous lunch go to Badio di Coltibuoni ....and do the tour of the B&B/old monastery as well.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank goodservicegal
petd0c
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2011

We stayed here for two nights and were dissapointed. When we arrived we were rushed into our room with a very quick tour of the property and then told we needed to make dinner reservationsw within the next 20 min or we would not be able to eat there. The chef seemed very stressed and unfriendly so we ate at the friendly Tratorria down the road later without any pressure. We had the Wine Barrel room, which was unique and quirky but cave-like and not nice to spend time in. In addition, to get any air the window needed to be open which wouldnt have been any problem at all except it was at street level and the motor scooter and strewet noise was loud, even in that little tiny town. We really didnt feel very welcome by anyone there except the nice woman who served breakfast, who was very sweet. We really didnt understand much about the facilities or what was available. We were told we could book a massage or "wine therapy" (which appears to be an experience where you soak in a jetted tub full of wine extract) but never saw anyone with whom we could have booked these with. Quite frankly, we didnt feel like valued guests, more like an inconvenience.We bought a bottle of wine and some olives at the little shop down the road and sat at the gazebo and ppol which was nice until people from the hotel came out (I assume they were hotel staff) and started lighting all the candles and setting up for something. They ignored us but were very dressed up and we felt as though maybe a private party was going to be there so we left. At check out we had to wait for about 15 minutes until Barbara came (who was the only one who spoke English) to tell us we didnt owe anything and were free to go. It wasnt a good experience overall.

Room Tip: Dont book the Wine Barrel room!
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank petd0c
Rome, Italy
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2010

We had an absolutely magical stay at the Castellare de' Noveschi. The room is just like on the website, very special. The host has done everything to make us feel like welcome guests giving lots of suggestions to discover the beautiful area. Food & wine tasting were marvellous, as well as the footing, swimming & massage (by a real physiotherapist). Highly recommended!

Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Evandewa
chicago, il
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2008

San Sano is a tiny town tucked away in the hills of Tuscany/Chianti. When we arrived, our host and hostess, Franco & Carla were warm and welcoming. Since it was a cool and rainy day, they brewed fresh cappuccino's to take the chill off and offered homemade pastries as we checked in. Despite the language barrier, they were wonderful hosts that helped us in planning our day trips and also made a reservation for us for a wine tasting tour at an old monestary, Badia de Coltobuono. The breakfasts were delicious. You can tell they take great pride in the hotel (which I would really call a B&B since it's so small and quaint). I can't compare the prices or amenities to other hotels in Chianti, but I can say that we would return to this location for our next trip to Tuscany.

• Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
      Check in / front desk
UK
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2007

I booked this hotel for our honeymoon. €210 for a senior suite. Was high but It looked perfect..!! We arrived to be told we could not check in as the 1 member of staff was assisting another guest currently and to come back in 15 minutes. We checked into our 'honeymoon suite' to complete shock, it was a room (a nice room) but a standard room with a small shower (that flooded) on suite. I said to Francesca that we had boked the honeymoon suite and she said that this was it..!! The next morning we got up for breakfast (we had to our room was next to the kitchen and you could hear them talking) to find the hotel had 4 rooms but only 3 tables so we had to wait to eat what I can only describe as a pitiful selection for breakfast. We went into Radda and spoke to the Tourist information who checked us into the Hotel Radda which was a fabulous hotel with stunning views deluxe room €140. we checked out and Francesca said oh we have a better room available today. The honeymoon suite is supposed to be the best room. I returned and looked on the website to see the costs and they were quite a bit cheaper than our quote. I have worked in the travel industry for many years and I have never known a hotel to so mislead by product and service. A word AVOID this hotel at all costs. Book into the Hotel Radda which doesn't look brilliant on the website but really is beautiful.!

• Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank livinginmoscowuk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gaiole in Chianti
Castello di Spaltenna Exclusive Tuscan Resort & Spa
Castello di Spaltenna Exclusive ...
#1 of 8 in Gaiole in Chianti
Hotel Le Pozze di Lecchi
Hotel Le Pozze di Lecchi
#3 of 8 in Gaiole in Chianti
Palazzo Leopoldo Dimora Storica & Spa
Palazzo Leopoldo Dimora Storica ...
#2 of 15 in Radda in Chianti
#3 of 15 in Radda in Chianti
Borgo Casa al Vento
Borgo Casa al Vento
#5 of 37 in Gaiole in Chianti

Been to Castellare De' Noveschi? Share your experiences!