First off, I cannot say enough for the service here. Without doubt, second to none. The front desk helped save us in a crunch, providing some emergency phone calls that made the difference between a ruined vacation or sanity. During my trip planning, they spent a ton of time to offer numerous suggestions and recommendations.
The location is outstanding. So many places in Chianti/Tuscany are relatively remote, requiring a car for simply the most basic of treks, like a quick lunch. Not so here. You have a short, safe walk to the shops and restaurants in Gaiole. You are 30-maybe 40 minutes to Greve, San Gimignano, and Siena.
Breakfast buffet was plentiful, but all cold except for watery scrambled eggs. You can order other eggs, but I think you have to pay extra (not sure if that's so, just suspected). The service staff, although at times swamped, ensures all guests' are taken care of.
The pool was unheated and extremely cold. The surrounding patio furniture, old, some broken and not very comfortable. The only towels available were in our room, none near the pool. The grounds and views surrounding the pool was outstanding. The pool and equipment definitely showed its age.
The room we had was spacious and comfortable. The bed was a bit hard though. The furniture was 'antique', fitting in with the decor, but it was a bit rickety. Only two complaints. For the price, I would have liked to have hair conditioner supplied. They did not have it available...but I noticed they sold a full-sized bottle of their name-brand conditioner in the 'gift shop'. My other complaint was the relatively useless WiFi. We could only pick up the signal in one corner of our bathroom. There was no signal in the entire breakfast area. The lobby offered the only reliable signal in the hotel.
Would I return? Not sure. There are quite a few other choices in the area. Can't say I'd do better, but I figure I could do as well.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The castle has 37 rooms, all equipped with air conditioning, satellite TV and mini-bar, offering any possible comfort and a wonderful view over the valley or the cloister. The inside is comfortable and elegant and the sophisticated atmosphere is completed with sought-after fabrics and accessories. From the grassy terraces in front of the castle, guests can enjoy the calm of the countryside and beauty of the surrounding landscape; here are the swimming-pools: one outdoor pool and one indoor pool heated during coldest months. Sauna, Turkish bath and gym, tennis court, billiard and wellness centre, complete the list of possible leisure activities available at Spaltenna. For horse-riding lovers it is possible to rent horses not far from Spaltenna; trekking and biking lovers will find endless options for routes around the castle. A golf club is also available at one-hour distance. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, Travelocity, Hotwire, Priceline and Hotel.de so you can book your Castello di Spaltenna Exclusive Tuscan Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Castello Di Spaltenna Hotel Gaiole In Chianti
- Castello Di Spaltenna Exclusive Tuscan Resort & Spa Italy/Gaiole In Chianti, Tuscany