“Wonderful Italian Cooking Class”
Review of Badia a Coltibuono

Badia a Coltibuono
More attraction details
Owner description: Badia a Coltibuono or "The Abbey of good harvest," is approximately two thousand years old, which today serves as a vast estate composed of vineyards, chestnut and olive trees, all producing some of Tuscany's finest wines.
Reviewed May 4, 2014

Our group had so much fun at our cooking class with Chef Andrea. The kitchen is gorgeous and the class was specially tailored to our group (vegetarian & mostly gluten-free). We made a vegetable fritatta, a wonderful rebolata soup, eggplant parmesan, and tiramisu for dessert. Andrea was both instructive and fun. And when we sat down to eat, the results of our joint efforts were delicious!

The abbey itself is very interesting and historical. I especially enjoyed touring the wine cellar.

Reviewed April 4, 2014

My wife and I contacted Badia a Coltibuono by email several weeks before our month-long holiday in Tuscany, inquiring about a reservation for lunch and to taste wine. I received a response confirming our lunch reservation, and informing me that I did not have to make a separate reservation for a wine tasting. After lunch we walked to the reception area, which appeared to be closed. We rang the doorbell and were greeted by a woman informing us that we needed to make a reservation for a wine tasting. I showed her the email. She repeated that we had failed to make a reservation. We had driven an hour and a half from Cortona because the wine tasting had been recommended. We would not have traveled that distance only to each lunch. I am disappointed that they misinformed us and feel I wasted a great deal of time, money and effort to drive to Badia a Coltibuono for an overpriced lunch that was not at all special.

3  Thank Venicel0ver1958
Reviewed September 19, 2013

We didn't eat in the restaurant here, but we did walk around the grounds and go into the old abbey church, dating from the early medieval period. The surround views are stunning, and there were very few visitors when we were there.

Would recommend

Reviewed September 12, 2013

Although not well known thought very funny site. The restaurant is well recommended but was closed at the time we went. Would not recommend visiting unless you are very near the site.

Reviewed August 1, 2013

Travelling round wine estates in Tuscany we came for one nigh I Badia a Coltibuono, Benedictine monks, who were expelled by one of Napoleon generals who took over the whole place. The rooms are really medieval (with very modern equipment, but built in old interiors), mine had very old furniture, bath was about meter higher than the bedroom, with a spiral staircase, very interesting). Rooms were connected with long corridors. We had (on agreement in advance) excellent cold dinner (we came late in the evening) in front of large fireplace, with super cheeses, cold ham and salami, various breads and buns, olive oil, deep fried salvia leafs (surprise). Cold meat, baked paprikas in olive oil, everything superb. Local Chianti, excellent grappa and a surprise - a bottle of Moscow vodka (not exactly for Czechs :-).
Early in the morning I walked through the building, outside in nice gardens, around the castle - observing white cows on green pastures, and deep woods around. Very surprising compared to most of Tuscany countryside with cypresses, but few woods. After we were visiting "la cave" with local top wines, as Badia is a very famous winemaking property. Highly recommended for a rest, food and wine

1  Thank Ivantomek