“Holiday??? I want to live here!!!”
Review of Adine in Chianti

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Gaiole in Chianti
Adine in Chianti
Reviewed July 28, 2012

Simonetta is a wonderful and caring host and makes everyone feel welcome and wishing they could stay forever.
I have stayed here before and have thoroughly enjoyed the experience both times. It's very quiet and relaxing and everything is on your doorstep, Siena, Florence and San Gimignano. It really is a holiday and not just a vacation.
I will be coming back.
Fantastic

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed March 26, 2012

When people ask us about our time in Tuscany we just sigh and shake our heads. Simonetta, proprietor of the WONDERFUL place, made our trip what others dream their trip will be. A quick story sums it up. Before arriving we decided to stop and pick up some groceries (btw, NOT an easy thing to do in the middle of Toscano :)). At the store a couple was asking if anybody spoke English. We said yes and they proceeded to tell us about the place they were renting that had nothing stocked, including toilet paper, so they were wandering around a grocery store trying to find, and think, of everything they needed. When we arrived at Simonetta's she had STOCKED the refrigerator all kinds of things we would need and had a homemade breakfast tart waiting for us (she has been featured in National Geographic:)). The 2 bedroom apartment was rustic in the BEST way, and her terrace out back looked out over miles of Tuscany. We spent a lot of time out there just enjoying. Take Simonetta's advice and map with you. She never steered us wrong. Finally, we fell in love with Simonetta. We still email her and in our photo albums from the trip she is featured prominently because seeing her instantly makes us smile and relax. If you want to experience Toscano, SImonetta and her beautiful place are for you, just like for us.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 21, 2011

Simonetta and her home were everything we dreamed of for our stay in Chianti! Our room was like no place we had ever stayed. We kept pinching ourselves to make sure it was a dream come true!

Located in the village of Adine the house is convenient to the wineries we visited. Simonetta was available to make recommendations for our itinerary each day.

Radda is so close we could go to the market and get food for breakfast and snacks.

We loved the huge patio looking over the olive trees! We sat there every night with a bottle of wine and wished upon a star we could stay forever!

We took Simonetta's cooking class and what a treat! We learned so much about the Italian cuisine and about her life. We got to participate in the cooking - not just watch. At the end of the class we all sat outside and enjoyed the food, wine, and wonderful company!

Simonneta's is the experience of a lifetime!

• Stayed: June 2011
Reviewed August 12, 2011

Simonetta's lodge was the perfect place to stay after spending a week driving through Belgium and Germany. After a week on the road as sightseers, cramming in every tourist attraction along the way, eating good food and stopping for pictures and walks and breath-taking scenery, we were just a wee bit tired by the time we drove into Adine. Simonetta met us with keys in hand, and from the moment we stepped into our quaint apartment, all of the stress of travelling fell away. We were home. Simonetta sat with us and showed us places in the Chianti region that she recommended (wineries, old churches, restaurants). We had a full list of things to do by the end of our first day. Later we took wine and cheese out to the terrace and Simonetta joined us for just a little while, and we had the privilege of talking and getting to know someone we quickly knew to be special. For our first two days we simply stayed close to Adine. Simonetta had made us a beautiful tart for breakfast, and we made coffee and enjoyed our home-made tart, then sat on the terrace overlooking her olive trees and read and napped. We were so happy to have a chance to simply BE in this beautiful region, savoring all of it. Later in the week we visited Radda, went on a winery tour, got lost several times on the winding roads in search of an old church and on our return from Siena, and each time we ventured out, we fell more in love with Toscana. It is simple, beautiful, quiet, slow-paced -- everything our REAL lives are not! Simonetta's lodge is a treasure. It will restore your soul.

Room Tip: We stayed in the larger apartment with two bedrooms and a kitchen. It was nice and roomy, with a be...
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 19, 2011

We spent a beautiful week touring Tuscany with Simonetta's lodge as our base. Glorious evenings in the garden sharing our day's adventures with Simonetta and getting her local insights as we planned for our next day. Our apartment was immaculate and had everything we needed to enjoy our Tuscan experience. Simonetta is a warm and gracious host. She made us feel like family.

Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 7, 2011

I first discovered Simonetta's Lodge in 2002 and I've been back several times. In fact the last time my husband and I were there (2009) Simonetta herself said to me that perhaps I should start exploring other parts of Italy and not just always base myself in Tuscany. But I can't bring myself to do it! I love the place and it would feel wrong to go to Italy and not visit. Every time I think of Italy, I think of Simonetta's Lodge - two beautifully restored/preserved apartments that are part of a larger villa (Simonetta lives in the main house) in an 11th century hamlet.

Everything you ever imagined about Tuscany is here. The rolling hills, the olive trees, the spectacular sunsets and the carefree lifestyle filled with good food, good wine and the laughter of good company. And Simonetta is the perfect host. Actually, she's no longer just a host to me, but a friend. I remember checking in the first day (way back in 2002) and being welcomed by Simonetta with open arms. She always has a smile for her guests (not to mention the unforgettable apple cake she whipped up for our arrival - SO DELICIOUS). Every time since then we have become closer and closer; so much so that the last time we visited we were invited to her lovely daughter's birthday party on the spectacular, panoramic terrace overlooking the olive groves. Sure, most of the conversation was in Italian (and we don't really speak much) but we had a most incredible evening.

And the food. Allow me to wax lyrical about the food. Simonetta is an absolutely wonderful, world class cook. She used to be part of a group of four women who travelled the world teaching Tuscan cooking. She no longer travels with the group but she will (if you ask her nicely) give you a cooking lesson. I would highly recommend it. I have sat in her kitchen many times just watching her whip up a simple spaghetti dish that would make your heart sing. Take advantage of her amazing skills and you will definitely go home having learned something (and probably a tighter waistband on your pants but hey, it's worth it!)

More about the apartments. Over the years I've had the chance to spend time in both. The small one, Il Riccio, is a cosy one bedroom place perfect for a romantic getaway or a solo traveller (though the couch also becomes a bed so you could actually fit three). The larger one, Il Ghiro, is my favourite. It's a two bedroom place that I actually think of as a self-contained villa (that's the way it feels once you're inside). It's pretty spacious. The main bedroom in particular is huge. The bed is very large and super comfortable with beautiful linens that are soft and clean. Lovely to snuggle into at the end of a long day
exploring. Another amazing feature of Il Ghiro is that the stone sink in the kitchen is actually the original (11th century) fitting. Incredible. It's really stood the test of time. The villa has a beautiful stone patio out front where you can sit and drink a glass of Chianti Classico over a game of chess, or reading a book or just pondering the charm of the tiny hamlet.

Overall, I really can't rave about Simonetta's Lodge enough. It really is heaven on earth and if you spend any time there you will leave feeling calmer, more peaceful, inspired. And you'll be one of the lucky few to have experienced Simonetta's extraordinary hospitality. As I said before, Simonetta has become a true friend now (even offering to help me learn Italian - I really ought to take her up on that offer). In fact, when we had to cancel a promised trip to her place last summer, I was lovingly scolded (as my Mum tends to do whenever I promise to visit her and then don't). I took no offence at that. I actually took it as the greatest compliment. Visit Simonetta, stay at her place. I promise you, you'll love it.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank BurjBetty
Reviewed November 18, 2010

Adine has rustic Italian textures and an ancient soul that lives in it's walls. The quiet stone village in the countryside is what one dreams of visiting and has a small community of friendly people . Simonetta speaks terrific english and is a wonderful hostess. You feel at home the moment you arrive. We stayed 10 days and I recommend giving at least this amount of time to a stay here. A November stay let us experience a fire in the large fireplace every night while days were filled with scrambling all over the countryside to castles, wine tasting, fantastic villages and towns, long walks and witnessing the amazing colors of the fall season across hills and vineyards. Yes, you must drive the winding country roads to discover Adine, as it should be! Sienna is 25 minutes away and Florence 45 minutes, but it is the land and people in between that capture your heart. Don't miss Panzano on market day with it's famous butcher, Dario Cecchini and his butcher shop, eat a wonderful meal and evening walking around in Radda, and an afternoon at Brolio Castle with wine tasting there too, and, 5 minutes away is a not to be missed visit to Castelllo Di Ama and the modern art installations there. It is a gem in the middle of Chianti!
Every day we returned to Adine and marveled at our good fortune to have learned of this special place in the heart of Chianti. It is a place we will see again and it will be like a reunion with an old friend.
On the practical side - Flying into Pisa worked for us, but just be prepared for at least an hour and half drive from there to Adine, try to drive before the workday ends and not on a Friday night as the traffic going toward Florence may be at a standstill then. There are no laundry facilities at Adine, but Simonetta will wash for you if you need and hang clothes to dry. Yes, there is limited wifi if you must, (the walls are thick) and just walk outside and phone service will kick in. Remember that a stay here is to savor Italy's countryside and you want ample time to experience this beautiful way of living. If you are looking for cooking lessons you will also find the opportunity here. Just ask Simonetta. We were a family of five ranging from 9 years to 59 years and we all loved Adine!

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with family