“An experience of a lifetime!”

Antico Podere Marciano
Reviewed May 30, 2010

All I can say is that I can still close my eyes and experience pure joy just thinking about the wonderful villa and our gracious hosts, Frederica and Maurizio, at the Antico Podere Marciano. This beautifully appointed Italian Villa has it all. Every room has spectacular views (even from the tranquil and secluded infinity pool) Superb meals and fabulous wine. If you want to fully experience the flavor of wine country in Italy do not miss your chance of staying here.

So how do I really feel? We came here knowing very little about this place and very apprehensive about the trip. We came because this is where our daughter decided to marry. But from the moment we arrived we felt at home. Truly at home. We were stunned how authentic and beautiful the villa is. And yes the views are absolutely breathtaking. However all of this would have meant nothing if it were not for our hosts Federica and Maurizio,the villa's proprietors. They not only implemented the plan and all arrangements to perfection for our daughters wedding and festivities, they became our friends in the process. I wish I knew a way of how I can praise or show more gratitude for the experience of a lifetime!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed April 26, 2010

My wife and I recently spent a week of our honeymoon at Antico Podere Marciano, and we enjoyed our time there tremendously. We had the good fortune of being the only guests there for most of our stay, and it really felt like we were in our own Tuscan villa.

It is in a very great location to make day trips to many of the major (and not so major) Tuscan cities and towns - many within an hours drive on beautiful country roads. We rented a car and a GPS system and finding our way around was a sinch.

Every encounter we had with the owners was pleasant - we mostly spoke with Frederica, and she was very kind. There was also another woman (her name slips my mind at the moment) who would set out breakfast in the morning for us who was also really nice and helpful. (Thank you.)

Overall, our experience was better than expected.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 28, 2010

It was some years ago that we first went to Italy so were certainly not sure what to expect, but like most, probably had certain expectations of what it was going to be like. Choosing Marciano was the result of the toss of a coin not knowing anything about the two places we could have gone to. Well, did we win big on that one, arriving at the place for the first time was like stepping into a dream and it just kept getting better. The sense of peace and isolation in the villa was just what we were looking for, scenery from the room was stunning and the friendliness and helpfulness from the owners was something that you just don't expect. Everything about the place was perfect, the rooms, the swimming pool, the few evening meals they did at the time were easily as good as anything the better restaurants in the area could do. And that's another thing, there's no shortage of places to eat that will knock your socks, especially if you eat out in England at all. You have the option of relaxing in splendid isolation by the pool or tooling off to Florence or Siena for the day, enjoying the bustle of those incredible cities and knowing you have the tranqulity of Marciano to go back. And if you ask nice, you can even get the loan of a guitar and play Romanza as you watch the sun go down in the valley, nice.

Reviewed January 5, 2010

As my new bride would readily point out, I am not one to sit down and write a review of anything – much less about a special, private occasion. (In fact, this is a first.) But it would be absolutely selfish of me not to share what an extraordinary place we discovered in Podere Marciano, and equally important, about the incredible couple who runs it – Federica and Maurizio. A year ago my then-fiancée, Audrey, and I had the idea to have a destination wedding. We were extremely lucky, for my parents had stayed at Podere a few years back, and my mom commented at the time that it would make an ideal spot for such an occasion. Well, that turned out to be the understatement of the year (to which my wife’s family would soon agree!)

From our initial contact, Federica worked with us for 8 months to make our new dream into a reality. No telling how much time and effort it took on her end (we were too embarrassed to ask), but she coordinated everything from securing the church and the priest to arranging for the flowers and the feasts (the rehearsal dinner and reception, to be specific). More impressive, despite our frequent lists of questions and ever-changing minds, she maintained her enthusiasm throughout. Her passion was always on display, and we highly recommend her to anyone considering getting married in the region or the country. Federica is an exceptionally talented person.

While we felt comfortable that our planning needs were being well taken care of, we were still a bit skeptical as to whether our good fortune would continue once we arrived. It didn’t take long for that feeling to go away. First of all, the drive to Podere Marciano was nothing short of idyllic. The vineyards we passed along the way were far more impressive in person that in pictures. Finally, we reached the long, dirt road that would take us to the farmhouse. At first, you asked yourself whether the thing ever ended. When you arrived, you realized its “off the beaten path” location is one of its greatest assets. Podere sits atop a hill, maybe I should call it a small mountain, with spectacular views of the surrounding area. It’s very quiet and secluded, and unquestionably stunning.

After being warmly greeted by Federica and Maurizio, we were then taken to our respective rooms to change and relax. Now, my mom will probably get mad at me for sharing this, but she has an almost obsessive focus on cleanliness, especially when it comes to travel lodging – a fact that is well-documented in our family (and always laughed about). That she did not bring her own bed sheets and towels is an absolute testament to how spotless the rooms at Podere are. (Not to mention spacious.) Outside of the farmhouse, the surrounding lawns were maintained with a very sharp eye to detail, beyond which the rolling hills of vineyards extended far to the horizon. For me, one of the great highlights was spending every afternoon admiring all of this from the infinity pool with our party of 12.

Throughout our five days at the farmhouse, we had the pleasure of really getting to know not only Federica but also Maurizio, her husband. Maurizio is something of a legend in our family now. His two boys, we came to learn, think the world of him, as he is known for his prowess in playing all sorts of games and fixing anything and everything. We do, as well. To us, he came across as a real Renaissance Man, a person of rare class with wide-ranging knowledge who seemed to speak with authority (though always in his humble, soft-spoken manner) on any number of subjects. It is to his credit that we can now hold a wine glass in the proper way, swirl, and sniff, without looking like the amateurs that we used to. (Thank you, Maurizio!)

From our initial arrival to the day of the wedding, our experience at Podere Marciano, made possible by our unforgettable hosts, was one we will never forget. Before we left, Audrey and I promised that we will look forward to returning many times to relive it, the next being with our kids – just as soon as we have them!

Our highest recommendations to Federica, Maurizio, and Podere Marciano. (P.S. I wanted to post this sooner, but my first semester at business school, which started 2 days after we returned, made this next to impossible. My apologies!)

Neil Sullivan

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank Awishnek
Reviewed November 8, 2009

My husband and I had the pleasure of staying at Antico Podere Marciano last June/July of ’09. It is a wonderful treasure to be found in the middle of the beautiful Tuscan countryside. We have stayed at four different places in Tuscany and found Marciano to be our favorite.

The location of this facility is extremely remote. You do need to drive for a good eight to ten minutes down a very bumpy gravel road to reach the facility. I happen to think that this is one of the reasons that make this place so wonderful. If, however, you don’t enjoy this little challenge, you may want to consider a place located closer to a main road. Once you have reached the facility, you are rewarded with beautiful scenery and the peaceful sounds of the countryside.

The property itself is very nice. Our room was clean and very comfortable. We stayed in one of the deluxe rooms. Breakfast was served each morning outside under a covered porch/patio area. There was a good selection to choose from and everything was fresh and good. We also had dinner with our hosts and enjoyed that experience as well. The pool area was beautiful and relaxing. My only complaint is that there are not enough lounge chairs. If there are more than five people at the pool, you won’t get a chaise lounge chair. There are other comfortable chairs available, but I like to be able to lie down when I am relaxing at the pool.

The owners and hosts of Antico Podere Marciano are extremely helpful and available to their guests for what ever your needs may be. I look forward to returning to this lovely property.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 27, 2009

Antico Podere Marciano was recommended by a friend and after i saw the pictures on the web site i knew it would be the perfect Tuscan getaway. It looked how i dreamed Tuscany should be. it was a little over our budget but it was every bit worth it! It did not disappoint. Every thing about the place was perfect. The view from the superior room was breath taking and we could see the towers of San Gimmignano in the distance. The drive up to the property was fun but a 4x4 would make the journey smoother.(our rented little punto managed though!) it didn't take long to vist the likes of Florence, sienna and San Gimmignano and it took about 1 1/2 hours from Pisa airport. the breakfast is plentiful but we sadly didn't get to try any of the evening meals . The weather in september is a bit hit and miss in the hills. we arrived with thunderstorms but left in gorgeous warm 28c sunshine.
It was a very quiet and romantic spot, simply perfect.

Reviewed September 15, 2009

The web presentation convinced us to book our short (3 day) stay in Tuscany at the Antico Podere Marciano, but the reality exceeded the (already high) expectations we had set in the mansion and its location by far. Located on a hill in a densily wooded environment it offers an astonishing view across the Tuscanian landscape, at which we particularly liked the sunsets. Our room in the villa was spacious, absolutely clean and very nicely furnished in modern but local style. My wife and I enjoyed our stay a lot and wished we would have had more time to spend and relax. But we will certainly return to this beautiful place and its friendly and natural owners and hosts.