“Place on heaven!!!”

Antico Podere Marciano
St. Gallen, Switzerland
“Place on heaven!!!”
Reviewed May 29, 2013

We spent a wonderful stay in Antico Podere Marciano. We had a very romantic suite with a balcony. The place is decorated with a lof of love and we felt very welcome. We will come back! Frederica, thank you very much for this beautiful stay, which we will nerver forget.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Federica G, Proprietario at Antico Podere Marciano, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
Dear Guests,
thank you for sharing your travel experience at Antico Podere Marciano, in Chianti, on Tripadvisor. Your opinion is very important for us. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay at our place and you truly appreciated our service.
I hope I'll see you again in the future, if you have plan to spend another vacation in Tuscany.
Yours sincerely
Federica Giacobbi

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Polish first
Trieste
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Very nice B&B with fantastic atmosphere, very nice view and comfortable rooms. The owners are very nice and you can really feel at home since your arrival. The hotel is located approx. 3,5 km from the main road but the view and quiet location deserves such 10 min trip. Try the dinner which is served only upon previous reservation and is very good

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Federica G, Proprietario at Antico Podere Marciano, responded to this review, May 12, 2013
Dear Guest

I would like to thank you for having spent your holidays at Antico Podere Marciano in Chianti. I am glad you appreciated the quiet location of the property and the pleasant service offered.

Hope to host you again during your next holidays in this area.

Kindest regards

Reviewed April 7, 2013

Beautiful place but very hard to find, there is no indication how to get there and GPS doesn't know the address. Be sure to have every detail of the road begore heading there. Rooms are very big and clean. There is no TV in the room. Everything was perfect however for me it was too far away specially when we were returning from the restaurant in the night. This is the perfect choise for people who are looking for very very calm place.

• Stayed March 2013
Federica G, Owner at Antico Podere Marciano, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Dear Guest,
I would like to thank you for your feedback. I'm sorry you could not fully appreciate the geographical location of Podere Marciano. I can state, for experience, that most guests get used and love the idea of being so much immersed in the nature after a couple of days. We'll be glad to welcome you here if you decide to get a very peaceful break. Kindest regards
Reviewed February 2, 2013 via mobile

My sister booked us in here for our final night in Italy, after staying in Rome then Vignamaggio. Well the best was left till last, a typical rustic country road wound its way to a beautiful setting. A super greeting from Frederico awaited! Our room was immaculate and had a lovely balcony to look over the countryside. We went down in the evening to reception drinks and an awesome birthday dinner for me and my family, I'm a chef in England and I was impressed with the high standard of food, wine and service. The downside was having to leave early before breakfast to catch our flights home but we will never forget Frederico's jewel in the Tuscan hills and I hope we can return in the near future and have a little longer in that pool!!!!

• Stayed August 2012
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed October 24, 2012

Antico Podere Marciano is exceptional place to spend vacation. It is relaxing and very authentic- nothing like mass market hotels... My favorite part of the days in Toscania was delicious breakfast in the lovely garden at Antico Podere. I highly recommend this B&B to anyone who values their vacation. Yes the B&B is a bit pricy but it is worth it.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Eliza K
Federica G, Proprietario at Antico Podere Marciano, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Dear Guest,

thank you for having spent part of your Tuscan holiday at our Podere Marciano and, most of all, for having sent your precious feed-back through Tripadvisor.
You expressed very clearly our main philosophy, that is offering the possibility to our guests to live an authentic, vacation in Chianti, Tuscany, different from any other experience in mass market hotels in the area.
We strongly believe in guest's satisfaction and in giving them the chance to feel relaxed and at ease in a familiar atmosphere, yet with all comfort standard one may find in "ordinary hotels".
Looking forward to welcoming you again at Podere Marciano sometimes in the future.
Our best regards
Tel Aviv, Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed October 2, 2012

A high quality villa/B&B with amazing views, great food and lovely owner and workers.
Deep in the forest, you find this villa in a quiet relaxing location. In addition to spectacular views and beautiful decoration, it offers nice, simple but well designed and very clean rooms (ours had a cute little balcony), a friendly staff and amazing food (having dinner at the villa is highly recommended!).
Federica, the owner, was warm and helpful, and made us feel at home. After 5 nights at the villa, we didn't want to leave...

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Rotem S
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your feedback on Tripadvisor regarding your stay at Antico Podere Marciano..
Our guests satisfaction is the most valuable reward for our staff, who works hard to grant a high standard service.
I'm looking forward to welcoming you again at Podere Marciano sometimes in the future.
Kindest regards
New York
Reviewed September 9, 2012

I enjoyed my stay at Antico Podere Marciano very much. We stayed for 4 nights in September and it was exactly what I was looking for. That being said if you come to stay here you need to realize that this is a B and B and not a 5 start luxury full service hotel. You are definitely off the beaten path as you have read in other reviews. My first drive down the long white road was a little intimidating, being I was in a rental station wagon not meant for these road conditions. I soon got used to the road and like a previous reviewer mentioned I actually started to enjoy the road ( would have even more in dune buggy ).

My complete honest review overall:

The Good ( and some Great ): 1 ) Federico and Maurzio are wonderful friendly people trying their hardest to make their guests feel comfortable and at home

2) The place is beautiful, our room had a great balcony overlooking miles of open space and exactly what I was looking for in a stay in Tuscany

3) The Breakfast was excellent..disregard the review on the bad food..I consider myself a food snob from New York City, and their country meals should please most people ( very subjective though )

4) Our favorite experience, not only of this vacation, but of most of our vacations was the Wine Trek offered by Maurizio. We went on a 2 hour hike through the woods and vineyards, led by Maurizio and the family's 2 dogs ( very friendly, extremely trained dogs ). Along the way, we learned a lot from Maurizio and we had a lot of laughs. He even showed us the ruins of an ancient castle hidden in the woods that was still breaking down. We ended at a castle that is a wine producer, where we were taken on a tour of the facilities and had wine tastings paired with meats and cheeses in the dining hall. It was mentioned that not many people take advantage of this tour but if you are staying here, you should definitely take advantage of this offering. ( you should be in semi healthy condition for the hike) Ask about it in an email

5) The Pool..We didn't use it but I laid out there for a couple of hours near sunset and it is beautiful

The not as good ( i Won't use the word bad because they don't deserve that)

1) Federica and Maurzio are running this B and B, but at the same time are caring for their family and attending to their home. Federica makes herself as available as possible, but don't expect her to drop everything and cater to you 24/7. She was around plenty and we really enjoyed the half hour she took to sit and speak with us so we can all get to know each other, but she might not be there for you at the exact second you need her. ( We were fine with this, but as a traveler you need to know what your expectations should be) We were a bit disappointed that we didn't see Maurizio again after the trek. We really enjoyed his company and was hoping to spend a little more time with him. Again he has a day job, so he can't be there for you whenever you wish.

2) When we arrived we realized that we only had a bath tub with a handle to bathe. We really like overhead showers, so I asked if I can have some tape to secure the handle for a shower. Maurizio got this for me immediately and IU was very thankful. I spent 20 minutes taping it up and was happy. The next day the cleaning person took it down and took the tape away. I think the service person should have been told to keep it up. all about communication

3) At breakfast There were 4 of us. The rule of the house is that you get 1 Espresso or Cappuccino per day, per person. One of our friends wasn't having hers so she ordered it and gave it to me. I was charged for it because I had 2, even though we had 4 for the table. Wasn't the end of the world, but I thought it was not right.

4) The dogs were barking late at night. Possible to keep you up.

All in all, I highly recommend this place. No place is 100% perfect for everyone, but if you are looking for the real authentic experience of living in the countryside of Tuscany with an amazing family, this is the place to

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank fef5
Giacobbi, Owner at Antico Podere Marciano, responded to this review, September 13, 2012
Thank you very much for your detailed review. I would like to comment on some of your points:
1) availability of the owner/manager: as this, as mentioned, is not a 5 star full service luxury hotel, I am not permanently in the reception office or at the bar in the evening. When I welcome my guests I always tell them that they can knock (my house is ntxt to the B&B) at my door any time in the evening if I'm not around.
Podere Marciano is a very homely place and this is one of our main ditinctive features...and one should not expect, form the very beginning, a 24 hours service. Sorry you couldn't meet Mauirizio (my husband) again after the treck, but he doesn't work with me in the B&B, he just takes people to do the trekking at weekends if requested...anyway he also would have liked to say goodbye to you, at least, ..
2) Regarding the overhead shower,, I personally checked that the handle had been cellotaped on the hand painted special coating of the cealing rather than on the briks as indicated by Maurizio...the tough cellotape was damaging the coating. Also, as the bathtub was planned to be used as a bathtub, there are no curtains around and therefore the water was covering the floor.. These are the reasons why the handle was removed from hanging over the cealing.
3) I apologise regarding the cappuccino, but I was not informed about that! I only got the paper with served drinks by the service woman..if I would have known, I wouldn't have charged you for a cappuccino..
4) Yes,...dogs may be barking a little bit too much sometimes, but in very dry summers (like this year's) they have to be out and defend the property, and in particular the pool, from wild-boars getting inside!! ...it happened already once a couple of years ago..

As you also stated in your review, this is the place for people who want to experience the real countryside life in Tuscany...

Thanks for sharing your experience
Federica
Also consider these accommodations in or near Barberino Val d'Elsa
Palazzo Leopoldo Dimora Storica & Spa
Palazzo Leopoldo Dimora Storica ...
#2 of 15 in Radda in Chianti
Il Borghetto di San Gimignano Agriturismo
Agriturismo La Presura
Agriturismo La Presura
#7 of 59 in Greve in Chianti

Been to Antico Podere Marciano? Share your experiences!